iPhone app background scrobbling

• dyltho sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 sep 2010, 22:23

iPhone app background scrobbling

Now that Apple relaxed its App Store guidelines and accepted some of the previously rejected apps such as Google Voice, will the iPhone app update to be able to scrobble tracks played through the iPod app? The jailbroken app works great but I don't want to keep jailbreaking my phone just for a scrobbling app.

• The app store changes don't affect this -- realtime background scrobbling requires jailbreaking due to the way Apple has implemented "multitasking" on the iPhone for 3rd party apps. It's a technical issue, not a policy issue.

• Madjock sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 sep 2010, 19:54
    That's a shame, good to know, shall stick with 4.0.2 and Scrobbl for now, thanks!

• Now that iOS4 is out, can we have scrobbling?

My Twitter - @ohitsanAZN
    My YouTube - 71KR117
  • It's insane how stagnant this entire service has become. I can't believe this hasn't been implemented yet.

• I have to agree! iOS4 was released ages ago! C'mon last.fm, get releasing an iOS4 app!

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 okt 2010, 17:12

Amen

And where did the app go!?!? I had it, now it's not in the App store!!!??? (Canada)

• The multitasking in iOS 4 only allows specific tasks, such as playing streaming music, to run in the background. We can't use this for background scrobbling, as it's not one of Apple's approved background tasks.

• question..

i am at canada but since i have an account in usa store,
    i downloaded it and installed to my 3g phone.
    i dont think it's scrobbling at all...

• iScrobble Premium 4 has realtime background scrobbling now.

http://iscrobble.com

• Re: question..

lunaseaux said:
    i am at canada but since i have an account in usa store,
    i downloaded it and installed to my 3g phone.
    i dont think it's scrobbling at all...
    You're correct, our iPhone app does not scrobble the built-in iPod app, only music you listen to through the radio in the app. You can scrobble your iPhone using our desktop client, or iScrobble.

• c99koder said:
    The multitasking in iOS 4 only allows specific tasks, such as playing streaming music, to run in the background. We can't use this for background scrobbling, as it's not one of Apple's approved background tasks.

Then why is iScrobble able to do it? Plenty of apps allow you to access your own music library within their interface -- why not this one?

I don't think anybody is too attached to the iPod app. If the last.fm app allowed you to access your library, there's no reason it couldn't keep a log of what was played, right? And then scrobble that data?

• Iain-K sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 dec 2010, 11:11
    I suppose last.fm could allow playing of music on the iPhone through the last.fm app, that would in turn scrobble it.

The UI would have to be killer to persuade the masses to use that over iPod, or keep UI exactly the same as iPod.

I'm pretty sure Apple would have something to say about that one though!

Personally I think iScrobble looks tacky and wouldn't enjoy using it.

• Muggg sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 dec 2010, 10:49

Yep

Indeed, the iPod app is not really that good anyway. Not bad but hey, if we can add scrobbling features and stuff now and all with iOS 4, what's taking you so long?

I could actually build this myself. If I had some free time. And release... hmm... :-P It's the free time that's not enough... sigh

This is not a signature.
    これはシグではありません。
    • i1abnrk sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 dec 2010, 02:31

Keep bugging Apple.

Here is a template for the iTunes Store:
    This app does a great job of playing the last.fm radio stations but I am an active community member and I must scrobble or die! I'm a music snob and I need to show all the other snobs like me how much cooler my library is than theirs. Scrobbling is the most effective way of fulfilling that egocentric appetite. I would settle for play pooling that uploaded my stats when I sync but I would much prefer directly over wi-fi. Oh yeah, I also have a buggy like button.

• narmi sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jan 2011, 15:49
    This app does the job: http://iscrobble.com

To be honest the last.fm app is not very good. I think they have missed a trick.

• benyu sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jan 2011, 23:06

What about copying iOS apps like Soundhound for music playback?

I've had the Last.fm iOS app for awhile and honestly I don't use it. Soundhound has had an iPod library player for awhile and even steps out of the way when you background/close it so that the iPod app keeps playing the song that was playing (with a slight pause, but not bad). I would love to see a Last.fm app that does this. I'll look into iScrobble as well, but still... Thanx.

• I asked her to want to listen to last.fm ty statistics that are not found on the itune app
    Thanks

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 feb 2011, 01:35
    There are lots of apps in the app store that let you access your music library and play your music through the app. Some apps display information such as lyrics or artist background. Some apps just allow for an alternative front end for the music player (such as being customized for navigation while driving). Why can't the last.fm app allow users to navigate and play the music stored locally but instead of displaying lyrics, the app scrobbles the tracks?

• Lalquiel said:
    There are lots of apps in the app store that let you access your music library and play your music through the app. Some apps display information such as lyrics or artist background. Some apps just allow for an alternative front end for the music player (such as being customized for navigation while driving). Why can't the last.fm app allow users to navigate and play the music stored locally but instead of displaying lyrics, the app scrobbles the tracks?

I also think like you

• Then why is iScrobble able to do it

Then why is iScrobble able to do it? Plenty of apps allow you to access your own music library within their interface -- why not this one?

I don't think anybody is too attached to the iPod app. If the last.fm app allowed you to access your library, there's no reason it couldn't keep a log of what was played, right? And then scrobble that data?

• wingvnt sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 dec 2011, 10:03

Thietkenoithat

Thanks for information!

• Xtinka sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 dec 2011, 05:21

ipod scrobbling

I listen to music only on my iPhone, how can I have it scrobbled? Can someone help?? Please!

Do your thing hunny!
    • Jofoto- sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 dec 2011, 22:37

scrobbled?

scrobbled never heard of this word,

• mxpvn sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 jan 2012, 05:43
    Now that iOS4 is out, can we have scrobbling?

Thiet ke logo chuyen nghiep voi 5 nam kinh nghiem Thiet ke logo! Tu van Thiet ke logo hieu qua
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.