Last FM crashes on Iphone 3g with OS4

• spam sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 nov 2010, 18:45
    [SPAM]

• Re:2.4.zero

Willitito said:
    Do you guys have an iPhone 3G to test the app before releasing it?
    Because using "should" in your post tells me none tested it in real life...
    The latest version of the app works fine on my personal iPhone 3G, however I've got firmware 4.2 beta installed on it so perhaps that helps fix the problem. iOS 4.2 should be out for everyone soon, and we'll keep working on this issue as well.

• Would it not be better testing on the firmware that everyone else has? Whats the point in testing on a beta version, then releasing the update untested, for use on current (or older) firmware??

• huggy-baps said:
    Would it not be better testing on the firmware that everyone else has? Whats the point in testing on a beta version, then releasing the update untested, for use on current (or older) firmware??
    Apple requires us to test our app on the beta firmware so we can fix any issues in our app before they release the firmware update. Unfortunately there's no easy way to downgrade the firmware, so once I've updated it I can't go back without jumping through hoops. I have other devices running iOS 4.1, just not an iPhone 3G.

• Version 2.4.0 is now even worse for me on my 3G iPod touch running iOS4.1. In addition to the previous problems, It now crashes almost every time I try to move from the Bio to the Tags screen.

• This app really doesn't work very well does it?

I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1 this is generally what happens for me:

Start a radio station which starts working fine
    3-4 songs later, music stops, app becomes unresponsive
    Crash out to home page

A lot of other people seem to be talking about the 3GS. Is this a known problem for the iPhone 4 too?

It's very frustrating.

• cpicton sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 nov 2010, 22:27

iPod touch last fm app crashing

This problem has been around for too long.
    The app update has not made any difference
    Is the problem with Apple or Last fm?
    Do you have a time scale to get this fixed?
    Any other suggestions?

• Workaround without hitting the back button

I found a way to have the app working fine on my 3G.

When starting a radio, tap the cover. This will hide the timer and the progress bar. You'll be only able to see the cover of the album.

When a new song is played, the name of the song and group will be displayed a few seconds on the left bottom side of the screen before fading away.

I was able to play hours of songs this afternoon. Note that I have only the scrobbling option set to ON in my settings.

Maybe the bug is linked with the way the app handles the timer and the progress bar????

It's a shame Last.fm dudes didn't test the app in real life scenarios... Downgrading the firmware is quite easy if you take time to ask our friend Mr Google... because of course Apple will officially deny you can do it...

gentlemen prefer blondes
  • Re: Workaround without hitting the back button

Willitito said:

When starting a radio, tap the cover. .

What do you mean?

• Re: Re: Workaround without hitting the back button

Willitito said:
    When starting a radio, tap the cover. This will hide the timer and the progress bar. You'll be only able to see the cover of the album.
    This is interesting, we'll look into why this helps.

electrophile888 said:
    Willitito said:

When starting a radio, tap the cover. .

What do you mean?
    Tap on the album artwork on the player screen.

FYI, iOS 4.2 is out now, so please let us know if this improves playback as we continue to work on this issue.

• Updated to 4.2 and still crashing out after 3 songs or so. Same old story being that it starts stuttering and then crashes to the home screen - it doesn't seem to lock up the ipod for so long this time though. Small mercies?

I'm going to try the enlarged artwork tip above to see if that makes a difference.

[Edit @17:19] Nope no difference, still crashes out.

• Brommi sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 nov 2010, 18:36
    On my opinion the crashes on iOS 4.2 are even worse...
    Days ago on 4.1 i could listen half an hour without problems. Today there was a crash sometimes even when i started the app before the first song started.

Furthermore, i had the error "There is not enough content" several times, which i never had on 4.1!

• The person who still keeping ios 3.1.2 becasue this app just passing by.

• i have 3.12 and it started to behave weird. After 40 secs into a song it switches to another.

ok the same thing happens with iphone4 and ios4.2

wtf.

• What the heck is going on with this app? It's very poor. I've tried the enlarged artwork tip above and unfortunately it doesn't work, not for me at least. It crashes out to the home screen ALL of the time.

• ppl_fm sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 dec 2010, 23:19

Re: Re: Re: Workaround without hitting the back button

c99koder said:
    FYI, iOS 4.2 is out now, so please let us know if this improves playback as we continue to work on this issue.

Just updated to iOS 4.2. No changes - the app still crashes after a few (2-3) songs. Very annoying.

• Staff? Any news?

• Re: Re: Re: Workaround without hitting the back button

c99koder said:

OK, I've been testing it for a few days. There is only one configuration working. Here is the one I have that's playing songs for hours and hours:

01 --- iPhone 3G connected to WiFi
    02 --- iOS 4.2.1 in English
    03 --- Lastfm app 2.4.0
    04 --- Radio settings > Scrobble Radio = ON
    05 --- Radio settings > Disable Auto-Lock = OFF
    06 --- Radio settings > On tour indicator = OFF
    07 --- Radio settings > Show Neighborhood = OFF
    08 --- Radio settings > High Quality Audio = OFF
    09 --- Anonymous Usage Statistics > Send Statistics = ON
    10 --- Tap on cover workaround (see my previous post) = YES
    11 --- Top button pressed to have iPhone screen black straight after the first song starts playing = YES

I tried various mixes of settings and only one worked. It's the one presented above. Note that all my tests where done using my wireless network, not 3G mobile network. I am using a Netgear DGN3500 Firmware Version V1.1.00.28_1.00.28, no inbound services configured which means no special open port.

Happy listening!
    Finally... : )

gentlemen prefer blondes
  • Everyone else is doing it

Might I add that Pandora works perfectly? No streaming issues whatsoever...

• We're working on a major update to the iPhone app that should resolve this issue and add several new features as well. We'll have more news to share about this soon.

• Thanks c99 for the update. This will be much anticipated! (no pressure :) )

• p_allen_music

Good to here news of a new version of the app. Let's hope it works. Really, ensuring last.fm coverage on iPhone/iPod touch should be a 'no brainer'.

Good luck!

• Tapping on the cover does (sort of) resolve the crashing issue, eventually however the app will reach one song that it will not be able to load after a (long) while and will not try another one.

I haven't seen a crash, but does require the user to press next for the music to continue.

• c99koder - Any vague idea of timescale for the update? Am I going to be waiting weeks or months?

• We're planning to release the next update early next month, though this may change depending on iTunes approval time, issues that come up during development and testing, etc. We'll be able to provide a more specific release date when the update is closer to being released.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.