The "original" MobileScrobbler for 2.0 firmware?

• The "original" MobileScrobbler for 2.0 firmware?

Are there any plans on releasing MobileScrobbler for jailbroken devices compatible with 2.0 firmware? The one that works in background, can be controlled with iPod Controls and maybe even with mic button or Apple Remote (I didn't check if the last two worked while I was still on 1.1.4, but that would definitely be cool).

phosphide

• there are currently 2 apps that im aware of, both in cydia: scrobble and scrobbled, both are just for scrobbling and i prefer scrobbled (no icon, own folder in preferences)
    of course, both for 2.0 FW

• I don't care about scrobbling itself so much, and it can be done with a PC (I guess?). I just need my iPhone to play Last.fm radio stations and the functionality MobileScrobbler offered was just perfect. I don't know if mic / remote buttons worked, but I guess it could be done without Apple Developer Program restrictions.

IMO it would be the best if there were two "branches" of Last.fm client for iPhone OS released: AppStore one for "genuine" users who don't want/need jailbreak and one in community Cydia/Installer repositories, with features impossible to implement in harmony with Jobs' vision of the world (background playback as a major one).

• The original mobile scrobbler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the new scrobbler.

• judas_s sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 sep 2008, 15:47
    According to the Apps Store terms, the ones for the devs, they are not allowed to distribute the software through another medium appart from the app store. That way they shield themselves so a dev can't offer the demo of an app in the App Store and then sell the complete version via another place...It's all cause they get 30% from every app they sell.

• srmurphy sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 sep 2008, 08:12
    Hi all,

I'm currently a bit confused. Is the last.fm app, which is available on App Store able to scrobble music or is this only about listening internet radio via last.fm?
    Is this now more stable (on 2.0) than the very earliest releases?

Thanks for some feedback.

• srmurphy said:
    I'm currently a bit confused. Is the last.fm app, which is available on App Store able to scrobble music or is this only about listening internet radio via last.fm?
    Is this now more stable (on 2.0) than the very earliest releases?

Hello!

The Last.fm app from the app store (v 1.0 and the next version 2.0 coming soon) cannot scrobble music played through the ipod application because Apple doesnt allow application to "see" others application. All application are in their own workspace. The only way you can actually, normally, without jailbroken device) scrobble your song played with the ipod application is to install the Last.fm windows (or mac) application which will check through iTunes your played songs.

But the Last.fm iPhone/iPod application will scrobble song played through the Last.fm application on your phone/ipod.

Hope it clears things out a little ;)

• yoti93 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 sep 2008, 17:27
    jeankalud said:
    Hello!

The Last.fm app from the app store (v 1.0 and the next version 2.0 coming soon) cannot scrobble music played through the ipod application because Apple doesnt allow application to "see" others application. All application are in their own workspace. The only way you can actually, normally, without jailbroken device) scrobble your song played with the ipod application is to install the Last.fm windows (or mac) application which will check through iTunes your played songs.

But the Last.fm iPhone/iPod application will scrobble song played through the Last.fm application on your phone/ipod.

Hope it clears things out a little ;)

Well said. Apple doesn't allow apps from the store to run in the background, and that's needed for live scrobbling. If you have a jailbroken iphone, you can use 2 apps (available via cydia) - scrobble and Scrobbled. I reccomend you the first one, because the second ain't working as for me (it just doesn't scrobble). Combined with the appstore Last.fm app, they work just like original MobileScrobbler, maybe even better. ;)

• yoti93 pisze:
    Combined with the appstore Last.fm app, they work just like original MobileScrobbler, maybe even better. ;)

They just miss one nifty feature - background playback of Last.fm radio. iPod Controls was nice, too (but this only makes sense with background playback).

I guess MobileScrobbler was opensource, wasn't it (its page redirects here)? Would there be any licencing issues with porting it to 2.x?

And one more question: is Last.fm.app somehow based on MobileScrobbler, or is it a completely different app?

• andre347 sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 okt 2008, 19:03
    Can I update my iPodTouch? My iPod has 1.1.4 + Mobilescrobbler. Can I update to the newest firmware?

• CZSean sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 okt 2008, 22:37
    andre347 said:
    Can I update my iPodTouch? My iPod has 1.1.4 + Mobilescrobbler. Can I update to the newest firmware?

If you want to use still amazing app MobileScrobbler you shoudn´t update tu 2.0 or 2.1, because at these firmwares you can´t run the app!

• andre347 sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 okt 2008, 07:11
    Ok. Thanks ;)

• Has anyone tested Last.fm with Backgrounder?

• CZSean sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 okt 2008, 11:06
    not now.. but it should works

• gui_lec sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 okt 2008, 12:49
    it works, finally, but a real jailbroken app would be perfect :)

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 okt 2008, 15:18
    For those who want direct, real-time scrobbling enabled from the iPod itself (without jailbreaking), you need to let Apple know -- since It's Apple that's preventing this from happening. If enough people offer feedback, Apple will have to listen to us!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipodtouch.html

• mattyg1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 okt 2008, 16:35
    phosphide said:
    Has anyone tested Last.fm with Backgrounder?

Works just like it did in the good old days.

• I finally managed to try it myself (had some WiFi problems), and I must say that Lance Fetters (the author of Backgrounder) did the impossible :-)

gui_lec said:
    it works, finally, but a real jailbroken app would be perfect :)

True.
    Is there anything against porting MobileScrobbler to 2.x?

• pluto198 sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 okt 2008, 05:48
    phosphide said:
    background playback

If you're just wanting the last.fm app to run in the background, there was recently a utility released on Cydia called "Backgrounder" that allows App Store apps to run in the background. Seems to work fine with last.fm... as long as your device isn't running low on RAM.

More info on Backgrounder here:
    http://code.google.com/p/iphone-backgrounder/

Scrobbled + last.fm app + Backgrounder = MobileScrobbler?

• jonatj sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 okt 2008, 03:59

anyone else miss the lyrics and band info?

I really miss being able to listen to a song then starting MobileScrobbler and check out info on the band that was playing as well as get the lyrics. What alternative is there for that functionality.

"I'm fractured from the fall and I wanna go home."
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.