The Future of Last.fm Radio APIs

• Re: Re: Re:Re: Re: The Future of Last.fm Radio APIs

Russ said:
    robtaylor78 said:
    Hmm, maybe I misunderstand the point of the API key then. Surely an open source product will have the API key in its source, and hence anyone could take that key and use it however they like... So, what's the use case of this key?

It just identifies the client to our API. We would recommend that open-source clients don't include this key in their source code, but it doesn't really matter. Applying for an API key is a simple process and anyone can do it. Many other sites have a similar process.

I think that Rob Taylor means that if someone steals the API key from a supported client (trivial to do if it's opensource) they could write a client for a mobile phone using that key.

• Russ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 25 mar 2009, 18:48

Re: Re: Re: Re:Re: Re: The Future of Last.fm Radio APIs

Sugar_Kane said:
    I think that Rob Taylor means that if someone steals the API key from a supported client (trivial to do if it's opensource) they could write a client for a mobile phone using that key.

Yes (they could just sign up and say they were building a non-mobile app), but they would then be violating our terms of service.

• schuss sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 mar 2009, 19:41
    What a disappointment. I discovered Last.fm because of a post on a Symbian mobile apps blog about the mobile phone client. I've only just begin to explore the desktop clients, but really only as a view into my mobile activity. Sounds like I should quit now and not waste the time.

Last.fm will be another cool-sounding service that will fall off my radar. I probably won't remember the name a year from now.

• Is this even legal?

As far as I know, in the European Union you can't charge something for a service in one country, and charge a different price in another. There was a furore over iTunes pricing in the UK and Apple had to adjust it. I seriously doubt that it is legal to charge other EU countries for something that is free in the UK and Germany. The EFF should look into this.

• N-Ice sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 mar 2009, 21:38

Total mistake

Hey guys in management you just did a total mistake, because everybody start hating last.fm that is not right direction of business, people don't care about your problems, but you must do everything to satisfy your customers also with a way how to tell people bad things.

• _voice sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 mar 2009, 21:43
    I already asked in the blog, but will ask here too:

So where can I send my bank details?

Since you seem to charge money for ALL tracks on Last.fm and that includes mine, I guess I’ll get my share of your income right?

(Yeah, I know about the royality program and I also know that that’s about the ad revenue, not the money you earn from subscribers.)

Not that I wanna talk about independend artists getting ripped of, but it sure looks like it when you sell our content without paying us…

Redigerad av _voice den 26 mar 2009, 09:47
  • Very upset

As an American living abroad, this just really stinks.

I will NOT be paying for a membership. I probably wouldn't be able to anyway.... since my credit card is American and my address is foreign, believe it or not, I can't use my card with iTunes or to buy tickets from U.S. airlines or lots of things.

Little by little the internet (and the world) is dividing and fragmenting.... instead of joining together.

• Dead.

Well scratch Last.fm. This thing is BAD. And it's NEVER going to get any better. Last.fm is now owned and controlled by the music industry, not its users. Any emotional connection is lost. Last.fm IS DEAD.

• meehawl sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 mar 2009, 22:43

PocketPC?

I know you haven't bothered yet to make an official PocketPC/Windows Mobile client, but there are unofficial clients. Now I read they will cease to function. Given your description of the acceptability of the N810 to stream as long as it doesn't connect to cell networks, does that mean that if I switch my HTC 9800 from 3G to WiFi, I can stream over a local 802.11 network? And when will you be releasing an official Windows Mobile client?

Redigerad av meehawl den 26 mar 2009, 01:12
  • *sigh* this is slightly upsetting. How does the iPhone/iPod touch get around the "no mobile devices" restriction? The iPhone, most certainly, is a phone.

And from previous posts from Russ, it's sounding pretty much set in stone that that application will stay. So is Last.FM thumbing its nose at people who refuse to use that kind of technology? Or is it really just about the profitability? (ie, lots of people own these devices. Therefore it would be silly to stop these users from accessing this service)

I find that highly restrictive.

Not to mention, hailing from Australia, it looks like we get screwed over by this new pricing system and restrictions. I'd subscribe, but it's not worth it. Looks like we need to get the scrobbling system and develop something new, because Last.FM doesn't care anymore.

• amigokin sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 mar 2009, 02:24
    I can't believe this! I'm glad that the music industry is falling apart. You deserve it.

• Sir_Sid sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 mar 2009, 02:47

So sad

I've been a subscriber, not because i wanted some of the special features, but because I loved how open the site was with other developers. I wanted to support that. My subscription runs out this month and I will not be paying again.

• philwhln sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 mar 2009, 03:21

Re:How sad and dissappointing

ventomareiro said:
    the main value of Last.fm has been created by its users scrobbling songs, writing the wiki, uploading music, writing software...

Amen!

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 mar 2009, 05:06

how sad

i have not listened very much on last.fm, because the music i have has always sufficed. however, whenever i was browsing clueless around the media library, i always checked with last.fm for a suggestion, and it rarely has been a disappointment.

i do understand that this was a technical problem, posted in a technical forum, but you basically WANT TO CHARGE ME MONEY FOR SOMETHING THAT WAS FREE until now. and being a user from Romania, that is, not in any of the free countries, THAT IS A REALLY BAD MOVE, in my egoistic opinion. although i understand the need for money, i see this as THE WRONG MOVE to make in this direction.

although you probably don't care, but i will delete my account

have a painful death, last.fm

• hspank sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 mar 2009, 06:36

hello CBS

ah lets see, the api is still open, but i dont have to use the other functionality, like streaming songs i have no right ot access. so lets wait for the last.fm spotify mashup. other people might switch directly to lala.com and pandora.com.

i still hope to get the last.fm streams running on a headless mpd box. so will there be a linux command line player? (or will you try to license each and every embedded end user appliance ?

• achitnis sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 mar 2009, 08:15

Aren't we being a bit harsh here?

It is surprising how many people are lashing out at Last.FM for the "no mobiles" rule. Has it struck anyone that Last.FM doesn't own the music it streams (even via CBS), and that if the owner of the music says "no mobiles", there is precious little Last.FM can do about it?

The music industry has clearly realised that the next big thing in music distribution is via mobiles, and wants to keep that market for itself. Last.FM seems to be as much an affected victim here as we all are.

Going all nasty on Last.FM isn't going to change anything, so why don't we cut them some slack, see how they manage to balance things, and judge them from *that* perspective?

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Last.FM or CBS.

• Russ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 26 mar 2009, 09:41

Re: PocketPC?

meehawl said:
    I know you haven't bothered yet to make an official PocketPC/Windows Mobile client, but there are unofficial clients. Now I read they will cease to function. Given your description of the acceptability of the N810 to stream as long as it doesn't connect to cell networks, does that mean that if I switch my HTC 9800 from 3G to WiFi, I can stream over a local 802.11 network? And when will you be releasing an official Windows Mobile client?

I am working hard to try and ensure that the third-party Windows Mobile clients still work after the change, but I can make no promises yet.

• Re: Aren't we being a bit harsh here?

achitnis said:
    It is surprising how many people are lashing out at Last.FM for the "no mobiles" rule.

It's not surprising that people are lashing out, because it's not a rational rule. There is no real difference between a laptop with a 3G dongle and a smartphone (Nokia proudly proclaim that their NSeries are actually computers and almost play down the fact that you can use them to make phone calls). There is even less difference between a webpad like the Nokia N8X0/iPod Touch and a smartphone (especially in the case of the touch, which is a mobile phone with the GSM chip taken out). It's also difficult to see what it's supposed to achieve, other than inconvenience and expense to last.fm's users, as a webpad tethered to a phone will be provide exactly the same service as a pure phone app would.

It's an absurd rule of the type that appears to emanate from technologically inept "suits" and I'm not surprised that it's getting people's backs up (especially on a site like this one).

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 mar 2009, 13:11
    I have to say to you people at last.fm HQ you have lost the plot by stopping the popular mobbler from working i for one won't bother to subscribe anymore as you seem to be taking the piss out of the people who make last.fm what it is a great way to go to alienate a great deal of people

• meehawl sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 mar 2009, 13:57
    Thanks for the update! Pocket Scrobbler is fine, but WM is so easy to program for (especially considering the hairy beast that is Apple's phone platform), I'm still surprised you don't have anything official.

• I think that many people are missing that 3rd party applications will stop working because the API will change, not because they have been banned, so all that would be needed in order to make them work again is a change in the code. However, I have to say that it felt great collaborating in one of these applications when Last.fm was free, but now that it is going to be only for subscriptors all the motivation is gone.

achitnis said:
    It is surprising how many people are lashing out at Last.FM for the "no mobiles" rule. Has it struck anyone that Last.FM doesn't own the music it streams (even via CBS), and that if the owner of the music says "no mobiles", there is precious little Last.FM can do about it?

They could stream only music that is in the public domain or that is not owned by the big record companies.

• fgart sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 mar 2009, 14:17
    LOST.FM

There is a chance to go to the competition, and say goodbye

• php340 sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 mar 2009, 14:40

Lost.fm

I will protest, stopping to subscribe!

• I read through all comments, but no one talks about the current iPhone app. Is that going to be discontinued?
    I didn't get that iPhone Last.fm app because I live in Norway...

If this app does surviwe, does anybody know when it will be available in a wider range of countries, like Norway?

• bycek sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 mar 2009, 18:45

Don't do this to Mobbler

Please Last.fm .. don't do it to me and other Mobbler users.
    I will use last.fm on laptop or desktop but loosing my mobile scrobbling possibility will be (like someone said before) a kick in the teeth for the community ... DON'T DO IT.

Or ... fill the gap by yourselves ... or better invite Mobbler crew to cooperate on official mobile client ... You can learn from them ... I think

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.