Android Only in US, UK and Germany?

• Android Only in US, UK and Germany?

Hi!

I have a pro account, and recently got an android. So... i am a bit dissapointed: not only I have to pay for Last.fm, while in other countries not, but also I can not listen to it with my mobile phone, though I am paying for it. Is it really true? Why I can listen through PC, but not through wifi/mobile? I don't understand this restriction.

Are there any plans for changing this?

Thank you.

Alex

• Our mobile streaming license currently only covers users in the US, UK, and Germany. We cannot legally stream to mobile devices outside of these 3 countries. Our lawyers are negotiating with the record labels, and we hope to provide mobile streaming in more countries in the near future.

• akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 jan 2011, 19:09
    c99koder said:
    Our lawyers are negotiating with the record labels, and we hope to provide mobile streaming in more countries in the near future.

Don't you or your colleagues tell us exactly this same phrase year after year? Gave up any hope that those small-minded record labels will ever realise that we are living in a GLOBAL world for ages.

• drmrshdw sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jan 2011, 23:30
  • danke für Informationen.

Deutschland Zuhörer. :)

• That's total crap... Then I won't buy a new phone lol... GET IT TO SCANDINAVIA!!!

• c99koder said:
    Our mobile streaming license currently only covers users in the US, UK, and Germany. We cannot legally stream to mobile devices outside of these 3 countries. Our lawyers are negotiating with the record labels, and we hope to provide mobile streaming in more countries in the near future.

OK then, give all the people that don't live in those 3 countries a good reason to extend their subscriptions, will you?

First you terminated Blackberry support, then you made us pay for what US, UK and German users get for free and now you have limited Android streaming as well to those 3 countries, even though we do pay our subscriptions!!!

Get to your senses!!!
    Do you even want to have customers? I wonder....

• By "Scandinavia" I just mean Denmark, I don't care about Norway or Sweden...

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 feb 2011, 09:23
    well then, let me ask one question: I live in switzerland and have both an iPhone 4 and a android-based tablet. I'm a subscriber since nearly 4 years.
    On my iPhone I have the newest last.fm app (which is a huge step forward by the way, congrats) and it lets me stream all stations all day long! There is no limitation, no message that I'm not living in the three mentioned countries...

what's the (legal) difference between streaming to iOS devices and Android devices?

• addictedF00L said:
    what's the (legal) difference between streaming to iOS devices and Android devices?
    The iOS app is not available in Switzerland's iTunes store for the same reasons, you must've downloaded it elsewhere. Neither the iOS app nor the Android app are allowed to stream radio outside of the US, UK, and Germany, however the Android app is available worldwide and can function as a scrobbler in other countries, while we rely on iTunes to restrict distribution of the iOS app since it doesn't do much besides radio. We'll be taking the same approach of disabling radio inside the iOS client instead of relying on iTunes restrictions in the future.

• KaiSD sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 feb 2011, 11:43
    What's the legal difference between streaming media to large computer or small computer (mobile device)?
    And why the users outside US/UK should pay the same price for incomplete service?

• Please answer the Question....

I'm sitting in the train and want to listen to my personal radio... I have a mobile phone with a data plan.

Option 1: I use my mobile phone to connect to the internet and listen on the phone to the radio...
    Option 2: I use my mobile phone to connect to the internet and let my laptop use the connection to contact www.last.fm...

What's the difference? Beside my smartphone has a smaller CPU and another OS....

I accept the 3€/month for the service (it's worth) and that i have to pay for something which is in other countries free, but please but mobile radio support for ALL countries (or at least Austria ;) ) into the android app!!

I'm sure you would expand...

It's the year 2011, the internet is mobile now. I hope some lawyers are going to acceppt this fact!

• I agree with andifuchs! ;) Hell yeah, welcome to 2011! There should be increasing possibilities for people who regularly use lastfm, not increasing boundaries. Besides, it's rather unfair not having mobile radio support in some countries, and in others simply not :P ....

• akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 mar 2011, 14:37
    c99koder said:
    Our mobile streaming license currently only covers users in the US, UK, and Germany. We cannot legally stream to mobile devices outside of these 3 countries. Our lawyers are negotiating with the record labels, and we hope to provide mobile streaming in more countries in the near future.

If your lawyers look like this guy then it seems clear that labels don't take Last.fm seriously... ;)

Redigerad av akrde den 3 apr 2011, 20:28
    • mutrax sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 apr 2011, 11:38
    What the fudge?!?! I am a subscriber since the service became unavailable for belgium. I've been using last.fm radio (via mobbler) on my symbian device for over a year without a hitch. Now I bought an android phone and get the "last.fm radio.... your country"???? Where's the logic in that. Or it's unavailable on all devicer or it isn't. Well thats money well spent.

Any other apps/ dl's that do allow this on android?

• It seems like you could legally enable streaming via wifi, no? There's shouldn't be a legal difference between streaming over wifi to a laptop and to an android device.

It would be nice to be able to use it around the house without carrying a computer...

• legumes sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 apr 2011, 21:08

Appeal for streaming Last.FM radio to all countries on humanitarian grounds

I am appealing to the international community to allow streaming of the Last.FM radio to all countries - regardless of boundaries, judicial or political - on humanitarian grounds. This is because I am basically unable to find my music if Last.FM isn't available to help me recommend me music, or even remember which artists I like.
    I have no idea where to begin if I can not tune in to my Last.FM Mix, and I consider this to be, in effect, an incarceration of the free, but ultimately clueless, maybe even dazed and confused, musical loving soul that I am.

No, but seriously, I love Last.FM and you have an amazing community and product, it's just that I (like antifuchs) think that differing between devices when regionalizing content, is a very narrow-minded understanding when it comes to the internet, famous as it is for being universally available.

Is there anything we as users can do? Like a signature campaign or something similar? Can we somehow pressure the labels in our country? Anyone?

• This is simply ridicolous. As several people has pointed out, why the heck can I stream via my laptop but not via my phone. COME ON FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!

Please answer this question: Am I violating the terms if I use my Android phone's 3G connection and connect my laptop via tethering (i.e. listens to music on my laptop but via the Android's Internet connection)?

• JaFO_NL sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 maj 2011, 08:23
    mutrax said:
    What the fudge?!?! I am a subscriber since the service became unavailable for belgium. I've been using last.fm radio (via mobbler) on my symbian device for over a year without a hitch. Now I bought an android phone and get the "last.fm radio.... your country"???? Where's the logic in that. Or it's unavailable on all devicer or it isn't. Well thats money well spent.

Any other apps/ dl's that do allow this on android?

Don't worry. Last.FM isn't the only one to suffer from the stupidity that is the media-industry.

And then there's the Xbox Live!-service which requires you to pay for their service in order to have access to features like Last.fm despite the fact that it might have been 'free' on other devices.

Spotify might be an alternative, but it will cost a lot more (10 Euro/month).

The lawyers of the record companies don't seem to understand that by adding these kinds of stupid restrictions they are forcing us to use *eh* other means of acquiring our music (luckily for Dutch users such methods are completely legit).

• delaluz sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 maj 2011, 20:51
    it's very frustating to be a subscribe to last.fm service and not be able to stream Radio in your contry.
    Anyway for Android user it seems that there are a few apps allowing to scrobble outside UK, US & GE
    Have a closely look !

• punneke sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 maj 2011, 11:37

Agreed

I fully agree.

Last year i started paying for my last.fm subscription because i dont live in one of the big 3 (UK, US, DE). It sucked, but i complied. Now i dont even have the opportunity to stream the music i pay for to my android device.

Shame on you record companies, and shame on you last.fm for not sticking up for your paying customers.

So now what? I've been trying alternatives like spotify. I wont renew my subscription here. And i advise my friends to do so too. Just scrobbling should be enough. It's a real shame.

• wabby80 sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 dec 2011, 23:14
    There are third party apps that plays from last.fm with no limitations on android. Its even free ;-) aLast.fm player. Not in the marked. Google it. :-)

Can haz cheezeburger?
    • riven213 sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 dec 2011, 10:06
    Any news on streaming in europe? I'd love to listen to my last.fm radio on my phone...

kto ma Borderlands - dodawac mnie na steamie (nick: satanatix) i napierdalamy dla diabła
    • leflake sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 dec 2011, 14:34

Using GPS?!

All of the friendly media apps are using the IP address to find the country. last.fm seems to be using GPS positioning. :c(

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 dec 2011, 11:11
    Eh? No they are not using GPS. Are you using a proxy or something to try and get around the country limitation? If so, where does MaxMind say the proxy IP address is located?

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.