Android Only in US, UK and Germany?

• This thread has been living for almost a year, and no improvement yet... That's it, I'm cancelling my subscription.

• Eh.

• JoKoT3 sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 jan 2012, 12:16
    For all those who are as desperate as me from not having a last.fm player on android, search for :
    - alastFM (disappeared ?)
    - CoboltFM
    - KlastFM
    - lastFM Free (nasty functionnality : it seems you can download tracks)
    on the market, I haven't tried these apps at this time but my preference goes to coboltFM because it is opensource.

to LastFM crew, screw majors ! I agreed to pay 3€/month for your services, because I think it is a good compromise to stay in legality and to remunerate artists.
    If majors won't understand that it is either that or full piracy, let them die with their stupid 20€ CDs down their throats, they deserve it.

• MRudat sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 10 jan 2012, 12:04
    I'm not dead certain (I'm definitely not a lawyer), but from reading the bits of Australian law about copyright and broadcasting... I believe that in Australia, there's nothing legally stopping an end user from listening to last.fm on a mobile. There's provisions that explicitly allow time, location and format-shifting content, so that, say, recording a TV program that plays while you're at work, converting it to something you can play on your mobile phone, and watching it (once, or so) on the train-trip to work, is explicitly allowed... and is even easier than that, as most of the major TV stations now broadcast TV shows over the Internet in a format capable of being watched on a mobile phone, without the end user having to have any more technical know-how than owning a smartphone with an Internet connection.

If a last.fm stream is logically equivalent to a broadcast radio stream, then logically 'recording' it, and then playing it back (once) on your mobile phone is perfectly fine... regardless of whatever restrictions the media companies think they're putting on their content.

Also, bypassing technological copy protection for compatibility reasons is also explicitly allowed; specifically I am thinking of the fact that any interruption to the network connection (like, say, switching between high and low speed mobile broadband, between towers) stops the stream in progress, as resuming a stream is not allowed by the last.fm protocol (I assume, for legal reasons). I think it could be reasonably argued that a proxy that runs one half on your phone, and the other half on a machine with a stable Internet connection, that pretends that the stream wasn't interrupted, even though there actually was a disconnection, is something that's explicitly allowed by Australian copyright law.

As a side-note, I did use the streaming version of the last.fm mobile client for a while (which, I suspect, is legally just fine down under), but the fact that I take the bus, and the network connection kept being interrupted (presumably by changes in reception), I don't think I ever managed to listen to a complete song before the connection dropped, and a new song began streaming. Needless to say, I stopped trying after a while, and seriously contemplated trying to write a proxy of some kind.

Edit: I've given some thought to the idea of writing a caching proxy for the last.fm protocol (ie. it looks just like the official last.fm servers, right down the the API restrictions), that encrypts the cached content (which the DMCA doesn't allow you to legally decrypt, even if the 'encryption' is rot13, given that you can't claim 'compatibility', as it's using the exact same protocol as the official servers), but, I'm not a lawyer, and until I get one to tell me that doing so isn't asking for trouble, it's going to stay an interesting thought.

It's also almost necessary to do something similar to the above, to have last.fm work over mobile broadband, as, certainly in Australia, mobile broadband is not really reliable enough, nor cheap enough, to stream a constant 64Kbps radio stream to every mobile phone. On the plan I'm on, which has the lowest excess fee currently available ($20/GiB), it costs me hmm... 54c/hour for bandwidth alone... that said, the more common broadband plans are 50-200 dollars/GiB, or $1.34-$5.36/hour, which are starting to get a touch expensive.

• So if I use the Flash player in my mobile phone's browser to stream, this is somehow OK (a horrendous workaround and brutal on battery etc). But a native app that does EXACTLY the same thing (only much more efficiently) is not OK.

Seriously, tell your lawyers to work a bit harder.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.