Which is your favourite Peel session?

• kraut-x sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 aug 2006, 19:54

Which is your favourite Peel session?

Long before I actually knew who John Peel was I already had lots of bootlegs containing Peel sessions. Gee, Peel sessions was some abstract thingie, it surely wasn't a guy called Peel anyways. It might have been a studio or anything as far as I knew.

So, now to my reason for starting this thread. I want to know which Peel session(s) that's your favourite?

My favourite is the first session Sisters of Mercy recorded, back in 1982. Some groups just sounds great in radio sessions and other comes off as quite boring and uninspired. Sisters of Mercy sounds great, it's an even rawer sound then on the early singles.

Tracks recorded & broadcasted:
    1: 1969
    2: floorshow
    3: good things
    4: alice

Now it's your turn!

• colinf sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 aug 2006, 22:45
    jesus and marychain

01 Inside Me
    02 The Living End
    03 Just Like Honey
    04 Fall
    05 Happy Place
    06 In The Rain (About You)

"I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing"
    • kraut-x sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 aug 2006, 01:07
    colinf: aye, that's a great one!

• Lintwurm sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 aug 2006, 02:37
    Who else but...

The Fall

1. The War Against Intelligence
    2. Idiot Joy Showland
    3. A Lot of Wind
    4. The Mixer

Posterity will ne'er survey
    a Nobler grave than this:
    Here lie the bones of Castlereagh:
    Stop, traveller, and piss!
    -Lord Byron
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 aug 2006, 23:07
    Sessions with Joy Division, the Smiths, and Pavement are the most important ones for me. Peel session songs of smiths and pavement were included in their particular albums, such as "Hatful of Hollow", "Slanted and Enchanted: luxe & reduxe", and "Crooked Rain Crooked Rain: L.A. Desert Origin". Furthermore, Pavement played many covers with JP.

• autovern sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 aug 2006, 10:12
    Sessions with Faust

I am not here. Wo ist Henning?
    • Användare
    • 28 aug 2006, 09:16
    Carcass' Peel Session.

• Harry68 sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 aug 2006, 19:51
    Most sessions by The Wedding Present, I also remember Sonic Youth doing a session consisting entirely of cover versions of songs by The Fall.

2 bands who both produced a couple of brilliant sessions each in the mid eighties, were, Pig Bros and The Last Party. Despite my best efforts, I have never found any records by these bands. Can anyone help with any info about either?

• Harry68 said:
    Most sessions by The Wedding Present, I also remember Sonic Youth doing a session consisting entirely of cover versions of songs by The Fall.

Wow.
    Has anyone got any more information on this? I'm all excited now.

Music Advice Center

"remember that? there is a reason that animals are killed. It's called fucking FOOD. And raping?! what the fuck does that mean? if your talking about the milking of cows' utters, then your fucking wrong. if their not milked, they explode, and you get a cow who dies froman infection because you tried to stop producing dairy. you are a fucking retard."
    • Användare
    • 2 sep 2006, 13:06
    I don't really know, he had thousands of brilliant sessions broadcasted. I like his Monochrome Set, Magazine, Ludus, The Smiths ones. Too many to say though really.

• I loved Orbitals last ever gig and The Orb's first session. But loads more which I can't remember.

• Loved 'Th'faith healers' session (vivid memories of the 2nd one)
    bought the released version a few months back

AFX & Luke Slater also stuck in there!
    oh and Hole & babes in toyland & trumans water
    i also love the orbital one - but have only heard it on CD - guess that doesnt count

• RobDoubleu said:
    Harry68 said:

Wow.
    Has anyone got any more information on this? I'm all excited now.

I've got a vinyl bootleg of this session (awful quality). They played Rowche Rumble, My New House, Psycho Mafia and Victoria.

If you can find it, I recommend Ken Garner's book In Session Tonight, which lists every Peel session up to it's publication date of 1993. From this, I can confirm my favourite ever session, by the Diagram Brothers, was broadcast on 27/3/80, and featured Bricks, There is no Shower, Animals and Bikers. I wish I could find the C120 tape that it lived on, amongst many other great songs from the Peel shows of the time.

• I liked the session by The Wild Swans that contained the track "No Bleeding" - I have been searching for this track for years since - anyone know where I can get it?

Into the Valley ...
  • I have the aforementioned Sonic Youth Fall Peel sessions, if anyone's interested PM me.

The singer is a neurotic drinker
    The band little more than a big crashing beat.
    Instruments collide and we all get drunk
    • campag sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 sep 2006, 09:57
    Stiff little fingers
    Joy division

"You have the right to free speech. As long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it." John Graham Mellor (1952-2002)
    • Cylob sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 sep 2006, 15:39
    Speaking of Joy Division:

New Order - Peel Sessions 1981-1982

Picks
    Senses
    I.C.B.
    5-8-6

A close 2nd, The Fall's 2003 session.

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
    • sky_76 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 sep 2006, 17:34

My Favourite Sessions

Of course

The Sisters of Mercy (love both sessions)

but also

Joy Division (got the same CD as you, Cylob)
    The Jesus and Mary Chain (only heard it once)

• 1000fp sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 sep 2006, 06:25
    Lintwurm said:
    Who else but...

The Fall

1. The War Against Intelligence
    2. Idiot Joy Showland
    3. A Lot of Wind
    4. The Mixer

Have to completely agree

• The Slits + The Birthday Party are two of my favourites together with the Fall session containing an electric version of 'New Puritan'. The Herman Dune sessions were always a delight too.

And one that got away: I think I'm right in saying that Godspeed You Black Emperor were booked but were turned away apparently when someone (not Peelie surely)said they couldn't do just cover versions. It would have been facinating to know what tracks they would have chosen.

Last.Fm took my radio away and won't give it back!
    • Ceganji sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 okt 2006, 22:42
    Stiff Little Fingers

• Nathan_91 said:
    I don't really know, he had thousands of brilliant sessions broadcasted. I like his Monochrome Set, Magazine, Ludus, The Smiths ones. Too many to say though really.

Do you know if there is a way to get hold of the Ludus Peel session tracks? As far as I know they've never been released, but there's got to be someone somewhere who at least has them taped?

• Room 101....

Does anybody know where i can find the Room 101 with John Peel? Its so funny! He was brilliant! :)

• Re. Which is your favourite John Peel session?

Can't choose between Stump and The Go-Betweens.

Jaypeedee
    Never be the same ...........
    • Användare
    • 15 okt 2006, 12:34
    boards of canada
    joy division
    buzzcocks
    yeah yeah yeahs

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.