Top Ten Underground Albums

• Top Ten Underground Albums

I've gotta know... what do you consider to be the 10 must-have Japanese alternative/underground albums. I'm afraid I can't tell you mine, 'cause I'm utterly clueless. All I know is that I generally hate what the Japanese majors inflict on us. Help me! When you want to live, how do you start, where do you go? Who do you need to know?

Oh, perhaps most importantly, where can I torrent this stuff?

• Since you're in Japan, you might want to pick up this month's issue of Studio Voice which contains an all-time top twenty of Japanese alternative music. I laughed out loud at some of the inclusions - I mean I think Hair Stylistics' (AKA Violent Onsen Geisha) music is interesting and a sly editor might place Custom Cock Confused Death in the lower reaches of a top fifty for iconoclastic value but... well, some of the suggestions are ridiculous. Yura Yura Teikoku are highly regarded as an alternative band in Japan and their 2007(!) album Hollow Me claimed the top spot in SV's poll, a decision that can only be explained by an overwhelming desire to suck up to the marketing department of Sony Records.

In short, people who publish best-of lists always (and often deservedly) attract ridicule. I have half a mind to do a Japan Onchi top twenty but I'd like to grow my church a bit and get others' opinions before attempting anything so drastic.

For what it's worth, my current personal top five, subject to daily change: Maher Shalal Hash Baz's Blues du Jour, OOIOO's TAIGA, Ground Zero's Null And Void, Nobukazu Takemura's 10th and Rovo's Imago.

More importantly, let's have other people's ideas here too.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.