Why do you still buy CDs? (HELP with my MA paper)

• i used to believe there was a big difference between owning a cd and having a digital copy, now i don't believe that, it is small, very small, it is only good for your conciseness in my opinion.

yes you got a book and some art but it's small and it's in the end still digitally burned to a disc which will be digitally decoded in a slight better quality then a mp or flac would be (assuming you don't use a DAC).
    besides that i love you cd buying people for still spending money on music, because the industry needs us. they need more then just us but nvm.

i do buy vinyls now since it's more magical,the whole principle of playing a record is different, the handling you do, and its much less likely that you will skip songs, you literally see you music play, you got bigger art work, a more lively sound and its all pure nature.

i buy music because it's a hobby of mine, a passion and a addiction.
    i buy music because i like owning a physical copy, to look at it closely, to play it and pay more attention to it then i would with mp3's, because that is just how it works for me.(besides that through my record player i sometimes hear things i never heard through mp3s).
    i like collecting it as well and i like looking around in record stores, i like having a small pieces of culture in my possession, having a physical copy also sometimes adds certain memories to certain records,like where you got it, why you got it, from who you got it, where you know it from. etc etc etc.

plenty of reasons to buy music, in the end the difference is small, but that does not make it less important to keep on buying music.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 sep 2010, 15:58
    I buy CDs to have something physical in my hand, and not just an mp3 file on my computer. Besides that, there is not much of a reason why I do it, as I rip it to my computer and put it on my shelve with the rest of my collection, and I primarily just listen to the CDs I bought on my computer.

• I still buy them because that's how I've always done It. I've been buying CD's for years and I don't wanna change It anytime soon.

Don't stress about life so much. No one gets out alive anyway.
    • browland sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 sep 2010, 17:29
    The reasons for buying CDs have been discussed to death, but my own personal opinion has remained unchanged for many years. Music is part listening, part tactile for me. I like owning a physical product in my hands and it enhances the experience that the music provides. I've also had a few hard drives die on me, so believe me when I say that I know the value of having a solid back-up for my music.

• DonDijk sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 sep 2010, 10:13
    To know you're going to buy a cd after work/ knowing you have a cd in the postbox. Then open the cd, smell the text-book, turn the pages and finally listen to the CD.

Lovely and orgasmic.

• I still buy CD's because I love having a physical copy.
    It's like the music becomes a little more tangible than if I were to download it.

Also, I love looking at the artwork from the booklet while listening to the CD in one sitting.
    There's nothing else like it, though I suppose you could get the booklet from the internet. But to me, that's just not the same.

I also really enjoy hunting down older albums in used book stores.
    It's a nice pastime that makes you feel like you've accomplished something once you've found it.

• Well, I respect owning a CD, because having them just on your computer doesn't feel like owning it. Just looking at them makes me proud. Music as files could be not just bought from the internet but downloaded illegally or copied from a friend. The CD is kind of a proof that I support the band.
    Also the CD is great for backup and playing from a home theater. The quality never lets you down either. When I've just bought CD:s, I love to surf the booklet, read the lyrics and stare at the artwork. By the way, I own one album which has a black CD from both sides - the top obviously having some artwork. An album (yeah, mostly albums) can just be amazing.

• Användare
    • 27 sep 2010, 23:49
    If I'm being completely honest, I only buy CD's of bands that I absolutely love or have downloaded and enjoyed to a great extent. I feel if it's a band that is one of my favorites, I feel like a phony fan unless I buy the physical copy. Idk why.

Also, of course, to support the band. They still need the revenue to pay back the record companies before they start making a profit for themselves. These days, a lot of that money comes in from touring. Boo. I say support the bands you love. Some music isn't worth paying for. =/

• Alexthai sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 sep 2010, 09:21
    Becose some music no have in iternet

• There is a huge different between download a new album and just listen to it for the first time, while you're talking to someone on messenger or doing other things in computer, and buy the CD, put on a stereo system, read the booklet, and mainly pay attention to the new songs.

There is so much more pleasure to have the original LP, CD, whatever what is, than just keep downloading and download.

• Why CD's?! I Heart My Tangible Music Library!

I will buy CD's until the end of time!!

There's something about being able to build a PHYSICAL music library! It's not the same with being able to purchase a download or MP3 file. I mean, really?! What if my computer crashes and my external hard drive decides to malfunction?!
    My 1000's of songs will be....that's right, gone! ;-( (That would be the worst day of a music lover's life! Clearly, contemplating suicide after that one! Lol!)

Another thing! I sincerely enjoy being able to read the artist's "Thank You's!" There's nothing more personal or gratifying than being able to read from the artist/songwriter/etc. about their journey into making their contribution to the musical world (and who helped them on the way)! It's FABULOUS!! I Love it! CD's Forever!!

~ A Sincerely Passionate Musi-holic ~
    • kkkoen sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 okt 2010, 01:43
    Because it's nice to keep them close, read the booklet and literally see your collection grow.

• Sometimes it's much better too spend time in front of my record- collection instead of staring at thousands of tracks in a computer. It's more like a library.
    CDs- you can touch them, kiss and hug your favourite ones ;) watch the lovely booklets and read lyrics there. You can spread them round on your desk in chaotic disorder - and it's still lovely too see.

Prinzipiell unglaublich. Grandios. Vom Feinsten.
    • ProTact sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 okt 2010, 18:23
    You can't copy the feeling, listen to a CD the very first time.

• I prefer records over CD's as that's a physical analogue document of audio than just a digital copy.

but I prefer CD's over mp3's becausethe quality of a CD is 1411 Kbp/s, whilst MP£ at highest is 320.

plus then artist gets some money, and I get something that can in the end be signed or something equally rad :D

Life becomes a desert around you.
  • I still buy CD´s because :
    -I like the look of a colorfull cd collection in my room:D
    -It feels like something I should do to support the artist when I really like an album.

• I feel the same as the guy up here ^ I looove buy records, increasing my collection, see the colors aaaah xD love them :D

\,,/d-_-b
    • Användare
    • 9 okt 2010, 11:08
    I still buy CDs because in my opinion this is the way you show respect and the way you appreciate that artist's work. Cuz to make a CD which makes ppl like it, is not so easy as it seems.

• two_birds said:
    I don't listen to songs, I listen to albums. And an album isn't a collection of songs, or a file, or a few hit singles and some filler attached. It's a living, breathing thing.
    An album is a record of a time in the artist's life, of a thought, of a new way of looking at the world, of an epiphany, of a time in the listener's life. It can get you high, teach you to new things, make you feel...different. An album grows and fills up space and defines its surroundings.
    Listen to Dark Side of the Moon and tell me that isn't bigger than you, that it doesn't represent something much grander than a $9.99 download from apple. Or listen to The White Album or Nevermind or Physical Graffiti or OK Computer.... You get it, right?
    An album is a record of our history. Going to the store and purchasing said item is a way of immortalizing something, it is to continue a tradition that may not be very old - but has come to define us over the last half-century.

^^ This...
    Sorry to the op, I know you needed help with your MA paper, but there is only so much that can be said on this topic. (though I'm sure you've prob. wrote it by now anyway!)
    However, I do listen to songs alone as well as albums & actually do buy some in a digital format (usually to see if I actually like the music first). But I have bought whole albums digitally & then gone out & bought a physical copy also! (Either CD or vinyl). Usually when it's a band I really love & respect.
    I think there's also the OCD / show-off aspect (ooh, look at my wonderful collection!) I'm not proud of this but I do think it's part of every (well, most) music-lover's make-up ;)
    As for the rest, the smell of the CD attracts me (like books), the art-work, the lyrics, the booklets, just the feel of having a physical object in your hands, basically what everyone else says!

Tbh, I just wanted to quote what two_birds said... as it encapsulates perfectly how I feel far better than I could have said myself!

"Gaudeamus igitur / iuvenes dum sumus"
    [So let us rejoice / while we are young]
    • shofman sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 okt 2010, 19:41
    There's multiple reasons. I want to support the artists I love, I always listen to whole albums, I want the booklet :3 and artwork, CD's have higher quality sound and I want to have a nice, touchable collection.

• because:
    -supports the artists
    -i love going to the record store
    -good albums played in the order the artist wanted it cant be replaced
    -for the sake of the collection(and its coolness on my bookshelf)
    -the tangibleness
    -cuz my ipod broke and my computer isnt consistent
    -many many many more reasons

• rooie666 said:
    I buy music on physical carriers because of three reasons:
    - support the musicians
    - collect hard copies
    - better artwork

I also prefer the far better quality of CD's vs. MP3/MP4/WMA etc. I have an expensive quality stereo set so you definitely hear the big differences.

I like to spend hours in recordstores, markets, fairs etc. I like to see and feel a jewelcase/digipack, also the real disc etc. I think, personally, that holding it in my hands is more "valuable".

Maybe I'm old, but it's nice to see that youngsters also like to "own" hardcopies.

• Användare
    • 19 okt 2010, 13:15
    I want to have physical item that contains my favorite music.And maybe in 15 years i'll show it to my kids and say.When i was young we used to have cd's lol.And they would probably not know the name of the band whose album this is..

• deyaro sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 okt 2010, 02:11
    I think I fall into the category of "Old habits die hard". I hail from the days when albums were sold in LP record, cassette or 8-track formats. Having a physical copy of the media was simply a given then. To me, buying a CD is a carry over from those days.

I find digital music stores to be okay but there are plenty of times where they don't have the artists, albums or tracks I'm looking for. The interesting thing is that I've found those items I was looking for on CDs sold at brick and mortar stores or through mail order services. So I continue to buy CDs...

• owen54 sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 okt 2010, 20:38

something for your MA

Yes to most of the above about having something physical to handle etc but just look at the names and avatars on this thread and it's blindingly obvious - it's because we are BLOKES! I'd be astounded if anything less than 80% of everybody in this group were of the testicular variety. Boys like toys, boys like collecting and boys like getting every last one even the Japanese import special edition with the 3D cover no matter what it costs. When did you last see a girl with a vinyl collection, a cassette collection AND a CD collection? The phrase "for completists only" does not apply to females! We are anally retentive and proud of it! Come on admit it. Girls can go apeshit about shoes but it takes a man to spend hours putting his record/CD collection into alphabetical order by artist and release date AND LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.