Rate the above users music taste.

• vitreus sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 okt 2006, 13:41
    oldhomehaibane said:
    No, I mean, seriously, somebody rate me who isn't a complete moron. I guess I should have said something about that in my last post. Sorry about that, guys.

Don't rate me if over 0.01% of the music you listen to is metal, emo, rap, mainstream contemporary pop, mainstream contemporary country, j-pop, techno, or pop-punk. Remember, this is a thread about taste, something you know nothing about if you listen to any significant amount of the aforementioned genres.

Of course, there's no reason for anyone to be left out of the Last.fm experience just because they were born with an extra chromosome. There are plenty of groups on Last.fm where you can talk about shitty music. I recommend the following excellent resources:

Death Metal

True Metal

Brutal Death Metal

The Extreme Metal Tribe

Death Metal Uncut

Brutal_Death

Death Metal Corner

your charts earn you a 5/10.

your existence however, pulls that down to about zero.

listen to the noise i make and leave me a comment about it.
    check out my music journal at www.o-discordia.blogspot.com
  • To try to bring this back around to subject, Vitreus gets a 9/10 from me. Nothing too commercial/mainstream, nice mix of styles, and a bonus point for Philip Glass and Jandek.

"Just like I knew what I was doing" -- Foe
  • 7/10, purely for Johnny Cash, Nick Cave and the Ramones :)

• vitreus sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 okt 2006, 16:37
    6/10. listen to more music.

• i plan to, trust me :) its just most of my music is on my laptop, and i dont have the internet on there at the moment so i have to make do with the few albums i have on my pc. its a hard life, i know. hehe.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 okt 2006, 17:09

vitreus

6/10

not bad.

• 2/10: Really not my cup of tea. Sorry.

But Kelly Clarkson - any Simon Cowell protege gets a big thumbs down from me.

• Maiden Albie: I give you a 3/10 because there is nothing on your list that is arguably good except for Pink Floyd, and I would argue that they suck.

Taste is obviosly subjective, there's no absolute taste in anything. You like something different from most of the people here, that's fine, but why does that bother you so much? I would be happy and proud to notice I have a peculiar taste of music which separates me from the masses.

I think you're wrong. Music is a completely objective science. The quality of all music can be determined by an incredibly complex mathematical equation which you probably could not possibly understand.

Why, just the other day a very good friend of mine, who is a superscientician with a genius IQ of 213, called me to say that he had made an important new discovery in psuedo-science. Apparently, by using supermath he was able to come up with a theorem or proof or whatever showing that metal is not only objectively awful, but also actually decreases the cognitive capacity of those who listen to it over a period of time. He's already submitted his findings to several international peer-reviewed science journals, so you'll probably be hearing a lot about it in the next several months.

I could hardly believe it, myself. I had always entertained, like you, the notion that music is subjective, and that what one listens to is his business alone. But now, faced with overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary, I'm not so sure anymore.

On the one hand, we like to believe in America that a man is free to do as he pleases so long as he doesn't harm anybody. For a long time now, that's been the American Way. Now, though, that we have incontrovertible scientific evidence of metal's deleterious effects on human health, I think it's time we add it to the list of banned substances that we have found dangerous to society, like marijuana.

To that end, I, for one, have written a lengthy letter to both of my senators asking that they propose new legislation banning metal from record stores and venues all across America.

They're both liberal democrats, so I don't expect them to reasonably consider my proposition. That's why I've also taken the time to write the mayor, the governor, and my state legislators. If we can at least ban metal in West Virginia, I think I will finally be able to breathe a sigh of relief, and it may even set the precedent for what's to come.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
    -Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time
    Redigerad av oldhomehaibane den 27 okt 2006, 20:20
  • 7/10
    About my taste in music-well, see for yourself. I would say that my taste practically epitomizes eclecticism.
    You are trying to be eclectic, but failing due to your rejection of metal and other music genres.

• oldhomehaibane said:
    To that end, I, for one, have written a lengthy letter to both of my senators asking that they propose new legislation banning metal from record stores and venues all across America.
    That is taking it too far, way too far.

This "Metal causes negative congenital capacity" is really complete bollocks. So your mate has an IQ of 213 - big deal, mine is 142, so what? Maybe his theorem falls outside most of us that actually listen to Metal and more onto those who fit into his nice little experiment. Your friend, and maybe your good self, really needs to take a big fist on to what is reality and take a good look.

Back on topic:

foetusized 6/10: most of that is a nod towards the alt/punk sound you seem to have a penchant to (i.e. Bauhaus, The Fall, etc.) as well as an appreciation of New Order (all that is great and Manc).

• Aye, both The Fall and New Order have Salford roots.

Don't know too much about metal, but you seem to have a good mix (mostly UK?), and Stiff Little Fingers in there too. 7.5/10 but I'm flying a little blind.

• How can me stating that I hate you're taste in music, make you so mad?

It's not so much that I'm mad at you, dear boy, but that I am genuinely surprised and concerned that you display such profound musical ignorance.

I don't think it's any big secret that nobody else on Last.fm has a taste in music as good as mine. The only possible exception to this is, of course, bigsexyshaq, who more than any of us seems to be pretty on the ball when it comes to what music is all about. A day does not go by when I do not dream of marrying that "big sexy" man and having mind-blowing gay sex with him on our honeymoon while listening to I Second That Emotion, perhaps the sweetest song by one of the most shamefully underrated soul groups to emerge from the Motown label. Of course, that is impossible, but a boy can certainly dream, though, can't he?

That's not important, however! As I was saying, my taste in music is nearly flawless.

You gave me a rating of 1/10 based soley, it seems, on the fact that I listen to Tom Waits. How can you ignore the vast wealth of other objectively good music that I listen to?

Why, just on my Top 50 you'll see that I listen to a great deal of avant-garde, post-bop and swing jazz-John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington, and Ornette Coleman.

Only a musical philistine could look at all of that jazz and arbitrarily assign me such a pitifully low rating. Jazz is, as you may have heard, America's classical music. Would you rate someone poorly if he listened to a lot of Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, and others of that lofty sort? I couldn't fathom any reasonable person doing that. I rightfully deserve at least a 7/10 for the jazz alone.

For a long time in the early part of the twentieth century, jazz was the only way to express complicated and abstract concepts through popular music. In many ways, music today still does not surpass it in this regard.

Jazz is an intensely intellectual art form, requiring absolute concentration to every note in order to grasp the underlying ideas behind it. When virtuoso bassist Charles Mingus wrote the composition "Pithecanthropus Erectus", he meant it to portray the evolution and downfall of man, from his early days of pride and unity to his inevitable destruction caused by his own hubris. When Duke Ellington composed the wildly ambitious "Black, Brown, and Beige," in 1943 for a Carnegie Hall concert, he was attempting to tell, through music, the entire history of the black man in America from their enslavement to their freedom and struggle for equal rights.

The metal you listen to simply is not capable of making such eloquently intricate statements as Charles Mingus made in 1956 and Duke Ellington in 1943. For you to give me a poor rating, why it's like some sort of absurdist comedy!

This all isn't even considering the other music I listen to. For example, you'll note that I listen to a certain amount of blues. Are you aware that if it were not for the blues, there would be no classic rock? And without any classic rock, my friend, you would not even have the metal that you so cherish. Without the enormous and rich contributions of African Americans to the music culture, the landscape of twentieth century music would be little more than a barren wasteland, void of any artistic merit. Surely, considering my sizable collection of blues music, a reasonable person would feel obliged to add another point or two to my rating.

If I only listened to jazz and blues, I could understand being given a mere 8 or 9/10. Certainly, there is something to be said for a little variety. A further look at my charts, however, reveals other equally delectable layers of sound.

More than anything in music, I value the statement it attempts to make. Anyone would do well to cultivate an appreciation of the great lyricists. Looking at my charts, you'll see such immeasurably talented songwriters as Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and Van Morrison.

Presented with my deep appreciation for the great lyricists, as well as my appreciation of avant-garde jazz and blues, any reasonable person in full possession of his/her mental faculties would practically be forced to give me a 10/10, if not more than that!

Consider the lyrics to the following Leonard Cohen song.

Bird on a Wire by Leonard Cohen
    Like a bird on the wire,
    like a drunk in a midnight choir
    I have tried in my way to be free.
    Like a worm on a hook,
    like a knight from some old fashioned book
    I have saved all my ribbons for thee.
    If I, if I have been unkind,
    I hope that you can just let it go by.
    If I, if I have been untrue
    I hope you know it was never to you.
    Like a baby, stillborn,
    like a beast with his horn
    I have torn everyone who reached out for me.
    But I swear by this song
    and by all that I have done wrong
    I will make it all up to thee.
    I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch,
    he said to me, "You must not ask for so much."
    And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door,
    she cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"
    Oh like a bird on the wire,
    like a drunk in a midnight choir
    I have tried in my way to be free.

Reading these lyrics carefully, I could hardly expect anyone to surprised when I tell them that Leonard Cohen was actually an accomplished author and poet before he became a singer-songwriter.

Let us now turn our attention to the lyrics of your typical death metal band. Now, I'll admit, I can't possibly be bothered to actually look up real death metal lyrics. That would probably be painful. Instead, I'll just make them up as I go along.

There are probably at least a hundred songs that go something like this:

"DEAD BABIES" by "DeathSludgeCoreWarMachine"
    FOUND A DEAD FUCKING BABY IN THE DUMPSTER YESTERDAY
    YEAH DEAD BABIES
    DEAD BABIES!!!!
    DEAD BABIES!!!!!
    TOOK IT HOME AND PUT IT IN THE MICROWAVE
    DEAD BABIES!!!!
    DEAD BABIES!!!!
    LET IT SIT FOR A MINUTE WHILE IT COOLED DOWN
    DEAD BABIES!!!!
    DEAD BABIES!!!!
    TESTED IT BUT IT WAS STILL A LITTLE BIT TOO HOT
    DEAD BABIES!!!!
    SO I LET IT COOL DOWN FOR ANOTHER FIVE MINUTES OR SO WHILE I WATCHED RERUNS OF "WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE" ON THE GAME SHOW NETWORK,
    DEAD BABIES!!!!
    NOW IT WAS READY,
    A LITTLE PARSLEY,
    A LITTLE SALT AND PEPPER,
    AND I ATE THAT MOTHERFUCKER,
    EATING DEAD BABIES!!!!
    EATING DEAD BABIES!!!!
    YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!!!
    YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!!!
    DEAD BABIES!!!!!
    WORSHIP SATAN!!!!!!

Compare the above song with the Leonard Cohen lyrics I mentioned earlier. You'll notice that while Leonard Cohen uses a stillborn baby as a touching metaphor for how he has hurt everyone who "reached out" to him, the fictional death metal band that I just made up out of nowhere uses a dead baby as a metaphor for...well, actually, it really isn't a metaphor at all, is it? He's seems to just be talking about finding a dead baby in a dumpster and eating it.

Your assignment for tonight is to write a three-page essay, double-spaced and in twelve point font Times New Roman, explaining which lyric, to you, has more literary merit.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
    Redigerad av oldhomehaibane den 27 okt 2006, 23:01
  • Hey anti-metal troll, you forgot to rate my music taste.
    You also need to listen to more Sonny Rollins.

• You get a 7/10 for Leonard Cohen, Nat King Cole, Cocteau Twins, The Fall, The Smiths, Elvis Costello, U2, REM, and The Mountain Goats. Major points for Echo & the Bunnymen, too, by the way.

Definitely outside of my aesthetic, but it's respectable.

(And I'm working on the Sonny Rollins...thinking about getting Saxophone Colossus)

• MaidenAlbie said:

This "Metal causes negative congenital capacity" is really complete bollocks. So your mate has an IQ of 213 - big deal, mine is 142, so what? Maybe his theorem falls outside most of us that actually listen to Metal and more onto those who fit into his nice little experiment. Your friend, and maybe your good self, really needs to take a big fist on to what is reality and take a good look.

I understand your concerns, but keep in mind that my friend is a lot smarter than both of us. For now, I think we should go along with his judgment on this issue and take the necessary steps to save our children. If it turns out later that we were wrong, we can always change the law again.

You have to understand that a lot of parents are concerned that their children are being turned to Satan-worship by these metal bands. Banning metal may be the safest thing we can do. It is, after all, not without precedent to ban something out of concern for the common good. In the 70's, we banned marijuana because 100,000 people a year were dying due to marijuana-related deaths, either in car accidents while driving high or by overdosing. Thanks to the effort of police departments all across America, more people than ever before are being put in prison for smoking marijuana, and the number of marijuana-related deaths has decreased to about 10,000 a year. Clearly, the War on Drugs has been an amazing success.

You might be asking, "But how does metal have anything to do with marijuana? How are they even similar?" How, indeed.

Official government inquiries have shown that around 8,000 people, mostly children, die each year after suffering from Satanic Ritual Abuse, also known as SRA.

There are many well-documented cases of SRA. You can read about them on the Internet, in fact. One famous case involved a kindergarten class in northern Washington where the teacher, a clearly deranged 45-year old divorced woman by the name of Sally Hemmings, sexually abused the children and forced them to drink goat's blood and renounce Christ. She was convicted and sentenced to life in prison, narrowly avoiding the death penalty due to the disgusting efforts of liberal activists in the mostly-Democrat state.

In the court proceedings that followed the arrest, it was discovered that Sally listened to Linkin' Park, Nine Inch Nails, and Limp Bizkit. The prosecuting attorney read several lyrics from the aforementioned bands to the jury, and it was easy to see how Sally might have been influenced by the music she listened to to abuse the children. Many of the lyrics seem to encourage, even celebrate child abuse and Satan worship.

Is this what we want our children to listen to?

History will judge us by our deeds, and if we do not take the necessary steps now to ban metal, then I do not think that history's verdict will be at all kind to us.

Redigerad av oldhomehaibane den 28 okt 2006, 07:29
    • browland sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 okt 2006, 23:53
    You get a solid 7 out of 10. I respect people with diverse taste in music.

• 6/10 some wicked stuff (pink floyd), some rubbish (imogen heap) and some stuff im not sure on and will check out ;)

gabba gabba gabba
  • Saxophone Colossus is a good'un; the theme-and-variation improvisation in "Blue 7" can't be beat. Miles Davis is at the top of my jazz "to buy" list right now. If you can't see the humor in the lyrics of a band like KMFDM, then I feel sorry for you. Also, SRA is often a big lie; there's more proof of alien abductions. Free the West Memphis Three.

Buzzingtalk, not much to go on, but nice to see King Tubby in the folk/rock mix. 8/10

• vitreus sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 okt 2006, 07:08
    oldhomehaibane said:
    MaidenAlbie said:

if you're not being sarcastic, you need to do a bit more research i'd say.

I understand your concerns, but keep in mind that my friend is a lot smarter than both of us. For now, I think we should go along with his judgment on this issue and take the necessary steps to save our children. If it turns out later that we were wrong, we can always change the law again.

You have to understand that a lot of parents are concerned that their children are being turned to Satan-worship by these metal bands. Banning metal may be the safest thing we can do. It is, after all, not without precedent to ban something out of concern for the common good. In the 70's, we banned marijuana because 100,000 people a year were dying due to marijuana-related deaths, either in car accidents while driving high or by overdosing. Thanks to the effort of police departments all across America, more people than ever before are being put in prison for smoking marijuana, and the number of marijuana-related deaths has decreased to about 10,000 a year. Clearly, the War on Drugs has been an amazing success.

You might be asking, "But how does metal have anything to do with marijuana? How are they even similar?" How, indeed.

Official government inquiries have shown that around 8,000 people, mostly children, die each year after suffering from Satanic Ritual Abuse, also known as SRA.

There are many well-documented cases of SRA. You can read about them on the Internet, in fact. One famous case involved a kindergarten class in northern Washington where the teacher, a clearly deranged 45-year old woman by the name of Sally Hemmings, sexually abused the children and forced them to drink goat's blood and renounce Christ. She was convicted and sentenced to life in prison, narrowly avoiding the death penalty due to the disgusting efforts of liberal activists in the mostly-Democrat state.

In the court proceedings that followed the arrest, it was discovered that Sally listened to Linkin' Park, Nine Inch Nails, and Limp Bizkit. The prosecuting attorney read several lyrics from the aforementioned bands to the jury, and it was easy to see how Sally might have been influenced by the music she listened to to abuse the children. Many of the lyrics seem to encourage, even celebrate child abuse and Satan worship.

Is this what we want our children to listen to?

History will judge us by our deeds, and if we do not take the necessary steps now to ban metal, then I do not think that history's verdict will be at all kind to us.

shut the fuck up.

foetus: i can't give you any less than an 8.5/10. you listen to too many bands i used to love, and too many "legitate" artists for anything less.

• vitreus said:
    shut the fuck up.

I'm sorry, Vitreus, but these kinds of statements don't really add up to any tangible argument. You're going to have to try a little harder if you hope to counter my flawlessly crafted points.

0/10 for listening to Meshuggah, Nine Inch Nails, The Abominable Iron Sloth, Bright Eyes, and Opeth.

You get some points for listening to Brian Eno, Joanna Newsom, and Devendra Banhart. Unfortunately, the other music you listen to negated the points they earned you.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 okt 2006, 07:38
    8/10... very good list

• vitreus sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 okt 2006, 07:49
    no seriously, you're arguing points that are inherently subjective. saying jazz is the greatest type of music, while arguable, is in no way conclusive. while jazz is obviously a very complex form of musical expression, there is no logical point in saying that if one does not "understand" it or like to listen to it, then their musical taste is irrelevant. i could just as easily say something to that effect for meshuggah or bright eyes. come up with some lengthy eplaination for why "you just don't get it" and i'm sorry your brain hasn't evolved to this point as of yet. your "tangible" argument is seemingly well thought out, but flawed in that it disregards the obvious...that your taste is differant from others. an artist does not have to create the most original, delicate, complex or intricate piece of music to be good at what it is that they write. the cure, for instance. robert smith might not write the most technical songs, but for the most part, they are excellently put forward. and i'll but that after playing the guitar as long as he has, he could write more complicated music if he so desired, but for whatever reason he doesn't. "technical music" and "good music" are not synonomous labels. do you listen to noise much my friend? i could come up with a few paragraphs of assinine theory similar to what you have regurgitated in your previous posts about how the art of noise has been breathing and growning and progressing since the 1920's, and will eventually encompass all genres and become the norm. but what's the point of that? people listen to differant things. whereas i have progressed to a large extent from bands that write basic generic catchy songs to artists that put a bit more time and effort into their bodies of work, that in no way gives me the write to call others incompetant or unable to progress in the same way at their own pace. if you want others to come to the same realization as yourself (your tirade on jazz for instance), recommend an album or artist to get them on their way. you come off as no more than a pretentious ass, and absolutely no one will give a shit about what you have to say as a result.

plus, my reply was to your ignorant and unresearched bullshit about satanic rituals and child sacrifice. i can't hardly believe you're saying that utter nonsense in complete seriousness.

• vitreus sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 okt 2006, 07:52
    Dinosaur_Act said:
    8/10... very good list

7/10.

• Resi sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 okt 2006, 08:31
    oldhomehaibane... I say your elitist attitude is a disgrace to the music you listen to. And no, I wouldn't rate you near a 10/10 myself. Big fucking deal.

vitreus: 3/10, nothing I vaguely like except Opeth.

• Safe_Bet sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 okt 2006, 09:58
    oldhomehaibane said:
    Taste is obviosly subjective, there's no absolute taste in anything. You like something different from most of the people here, that's fine, but why does that bother you so much? I would be happy and proud to notice I have a peculiar taste of music which separates me from the masses.

I think you're wrong. Music is a completely objective science. The quality of all music can be determined by an incredibly complex mathematical equation which you probably could not possibly understand.
    Why, just the other day a very good friend of mine, who is a superscientician with a genius IQ of 213, called me to say that he had made an important new discovery in psuedo-science. Apparently, by using supermath he was able to come up with a theorem or proof or whatever showing that metal is not only objectively awful, but also actually decreases the cognitive capacity of those who listen to it over a period of time.

In our contemporary western society, bringing someone with an outstanding IQ or something that has reached the status of "scientific" instantly becomes a valid evidence for every opinion in any topic.
    However, science is not perfect, and your friend's findings will presumably be contested and discredited by someone else in the future. This is the way science has worked for ages, which means if something is considered scientific, it is not necessarily right. Neither wrong, obviously.

Besides, I'll add the fact that music is widely considered an art. Historycally speaking, every attempt to rationalize art, to mix the schematic laws of science with the anarchic creativity of art has failed. Why? They are two separated things, they're deeply different. Art doesn't need rules, art is rebellion and is about changing the rules. Tons of the most amazing artistic movements of the last 2 centuries were considered awful when they emerged, because they didn't follow the rules in force. Taste in art is subjective, and I'm enthusiastic it is like that.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.