What's your favourite character from a book and why?

• Well obviously it's Edward Cullen!
    I lie, I lie.
    I cant decide who I like better.
    Either Otori Shigeru from the Tales of the Otori trilogy because of how ... good I guess you can say he is. And very Caring. I admire him :)
    Or it's Eve from griEVE. Just because.

• Steerpike from Titus Groan and Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake.

I like him because he's a ruthless schemer. Insipid characters don't really appeal to me.

• Roland Deschain from the Dark Tower series. Hard to describe why actually, maybe it's just becoming so attatched so a character, I don't know.

• Roland is great! I love The Dark Tower 4.

Like a broom
    among brooms
    in a broom closet.
  • Actually, in (almost) every book I read I find someone whom I could call 'one of my favourites', so it's hard to decide.
    But now, after reading Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment again, my fav is definitely Svidrigailov. Why? Not only he has a very complex personality, but he's also (in my opinion) the most tragic character in the book. He seems to be a cynical hedonist, who seeks nothing but physical pleasure (not to mention his a bit peadophilic side); but the fact is he yearns true love, true feelings and morality -- his cynism and disdain for life and all its aspects are only a mask, a kind of a shield against the harshness of the world. In fact, he's hoping for 'something more' -- even though he doesn't want it -- and in the end he commits a suicide, because these hopes that he wasn't even aware of are taken away...

You can actually find such characters in many, many books (or, at least, in most of the books I read) and I myself have always felt most attached to them. It's a mixture of fascination and sympathy, and the way I feel about them makes them way more interesting than the other characters.

As far as men go it is not what they are that interests me, but what they can become.
  • Damn...

Someone already stole my Edward Cullen joke. Ah well.

Melt your headaches, call it home.
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 maj 2009, 11:52
    NO, it's got to be Dean Moriarty

• eryn_sim sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 maj 2009, 08:21
    Edmond Dantès from The Count of Monte Cristo
    I liked his endurance, rationality and calm temper.

And give poor Edward a break. He wasn't that bad, especially compared to Bella :-D

• Användare
    • 27 maj 2009, 14:47
    Noah from the Bible. Just kidding ;)
    Rhuarc or Lan from any of The Wheel Of Time books. Or any of the characters really. Except Rand. Rand sounds like a twat.

• Freaking hard, there are a thousand characters I call my favourites everytime someone asks xD
    But the most important one for me would have to be Nicolas de Lenfent, from the Vampire Chronicles. He's a minor character and dissappears quickly from the story, but he really made an impact on me, willing to fall from grace, to destroy himself even when he got everything going for him.
    Sometimes I am like that myself, unable to see that I'm not that bad, it's like being blind or something O_O

But of course, there's no vampire like Edward Cullen xD

• My favourite is Petchorin from "A hero of our time" (which is by Lermontov). He's rather smart, but he doesn't know what he wants that's why he's deeply unhappy. But he's a perfect gentleman). BTW with some features of Trent Lane from Daria he will be a man of my dreams (:

• Användare
    • 28 maj 2009, 05:42
    It's so hard to decide because every time I read a book, I fall in love with a character. So, I choose Mrs. Dalloway - sometimes I think that she's a vision of how I will be as I grow older.

• My favourite character is Thomas Lang created by Hugh Laurie in his book "The Gunseller". Thomas Lang is so funny and some of his thoughts are really crazy and mazy. I love this guy.

• grimandi sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jun 2009, 11:04
    Right now I'd have to say Evangeline St. Claire from Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher.. Her personality and her big heart just blew me away.

• Wolkkkk sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jun 2009, 19:36
    Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights) by Emily Brontë
    Dorian Gray (The Picture of Dorian Gray) by Oscar Wilde
    Dolmancé (Philosophy in the Bedroom) by Marquis De Sade

Kind of hard to explain why they are the favorite ones. I could but it takes too long

• Holden Coulfield! Hands down.
    Some others:
    Philip Marlowe
    Henry Chinasky (are alter-egos also playing?)
    Martin Mantra (from "Mantra")
    Ignatius Reilly (of "A Confederacy of Dunces")
    Humbert Humbert
    Peter Pan...
    So many more!

• Användare
    • 7 jun 2009, 00:58
    Anne Elliot from Persuasion by Jane Austen.

Her strong personality, hidden by apparent delicacy, that not gave up of living dispite of her own family's scorn and the loss of love. Besides, the capacity of learn with her own mistakes and begin again made her a unforgeatable caracther to me.

• guanou sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 jun 2009, 09:10
    My favourite character is Dereck from "Bubble Gum", by Lolita Pille.

His cynical humor, and mostly because he's insane.

Oooh trust me doc, bringing psychiatric drugs and teenagers together is like opening a lemonade stand in the desert.
  • The first character who comes to mind is Jane Eyre. I love her quiet strength and dignity.

I also agree with the poster who mentioned Tyrion from the Song of Ice and Fire series. He's not an easy character to predict. One of the best drawn characters in that series.

• Juan Pablo Castel.

• Användare
    • 28 jul 2009, 05:50
    holden caulfield.

• Alex -a clockwork orange

he's a psycho but yet you just love him.enough said.

Exterminate all rational thought.
    • Rodd1251 sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 jul 2009, 08:38
    holden caulfield - the cather in the rye

• Användare
    • 9 sep 2009, 02:10

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 5 nov 2010, 15:53
    • Användare
    • 9 sep 2009, 07:04
    Wyatt Gwyon from The Recognitions.
    He is an artist who forges amazing paintings out of love and respect for the work itself and not out of any other sense of gain for himself. He is a character that is almost supernaturally crafted from the brilliant mind of his creator, William Gaddis. Additionally, he is fitted with the blessing/curse of self effacement, so his ego doesn't bloat the entire book with its presence. His dialogues are fraught with a pain and sensitivity that make you want to jump in the book and hug him...and I don't feel this way very easily in my reading life nor in "real" life.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.