• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 mar 2008, 14:53

Tell us about your taste

~title~ so we could bash it in an ignorant way because bashing genres is so damn mature.

Back to reality. Mine consist mainly on rock and Hip-Hop. I refuse to call myself a Hip-Hop Head/Hip-Hopper because the "real" Hip-Hop community sucks terribly, and I can't stand some "classic" artists (I'm looking at N.W.A.). Rock... Nothing special =D

Say yours now.

• Användare
    • 9 mar 2008, 03:42
    I grew up listening to They Might Be Giants and Built to Spill. I discovered punk rock through a friend around my first year of college, who asked me to come see his band play, but never had a full-on "punk" phase. Shortly after that, I got into more hardcore, and that led me to weirder forms of metal. Somewhere in there, I also developed mild interests in reggae, hip-hop, and some types of dance music. Although, most of the music I buy is on vinyl, and a lot of that stuff is hard to find in my town on vinyl, so my charts don't really reflect those interests.

Yeah, I have to say, the biggest reason I never got into the whole culture of hip-hop is because it brings images to mind of really lame concerts marketed as "events," and dudes selling their CD's on street corners out of the back of a Pinto. Also, lots of the "tough guy" posturing that I think is stupid in hardcore, too. I'm sure some people enjoy that, and on some level, the fact that a culture like that actually can exist is cool, in a way. To me personally, though, it's somewhat unappealing.

But hey, sometimes the music is awesome, so I can get past the culture for it. I recently actually got around to checking out Aesop Rock, and I really dig that. Also, that last album by Astronautalis was mind-blowing.

• Användare
    • 9 mar 2008, 10:21
    I've always liked punk, but i hate the culture and the uniform that goes with it. It's outdated and it's not shocking at all, like the "punks" (and i use that term loosely) seem to think. Theres some tough guy punks who live in my town and they annoy me because they quote jello biafra and think that they're really politically in tune. I hate them.

Anyway, rant over, my taste is constists mostly of indie, hardcore, pop punk, emo, skramz and metalcore.

What fucks me off is that if i tell anyone who knows jack shit about music what my tastes are, they hear those genres and dismiss it, because what's indie to them is shit like radiohead and snow patrol.

I certainly can't say i like emo. It usually ends up in an argument because i get irritated that something so wonderful has been ruined by some dickheads with eyeliner and 16 year old myspace girls.

• Användare
    • 9 mar 2008, 10:46
    joanna789 said:
    I certainly can't say i like emo. It usually ends up in an argument because i get irritated that something so wonderful has been ruined by some dickheads with eyeliner and 16 year old myspace girls.

This is definitely something I've found rather alienating in the past as well.

It's kind of a bummer. There are tons of REALLY good emo bands out there, but no one'll listen 'cause they assume it'll sound like Fall Out Boy or something.

• Användare
    • 9 mar 2008, 11:39
    what would you call this new genre that is wrongfully called emo?

i refuse to call it nu-emo, it's not really pop punk, plus pop punk is just an umbrella term really...

if i'm lecturing someone about how they're not emo (how can you dress like "an" emo? it's not a noun!!!) and the bands they listen to are all fakes, i don't know how to refer to them as anything other than just shit, but i like to be musically accurate when i'm being a pretentious music snob :P

• Användare
    • 9 mar 2008, 21:34
    I prefer not to bother with the "emos" (as much as I hate using the term in that way, I figure it's ridiculous enough to adequately represent the people it does) these days. There's no real reason to. Most of them really aren't in it for the music, and the fact of the matter is that listening to Indian Summer isn't gonna get them laid after the Dashboard Confessional show as easily as their new haircuts coupled with their little sister's pants will. So they probably don't really care that much, and to be honest, a lot of those kids are kinda douchey, and no matter what they listen to, still seem to have that mentality where all they care about is getting laid. Really, I could care less if those kids listen to bad music if it keeps them from coming to good shows and laming them up by treating them as a meat market.

• Användare
    • 10 mar 2008, 21:52
    Truth is... I like... *gulp* post-grunge O-o

• Användare
    • 10 mar 2008, 23:23
    Post-grunge always seemed like the hardest possible genre to define to me. I mean, the implication is that it would be things influenced by grunge, but I looked at the tag to see what Last.FM thinks it is, and I can't help but kinda wonder why Creed falls under that and The Flaming Lips don't.

I say post-grunge is cool by me as long as Dave Grohl is alive and kickin'. He needs to do another Probot album or something. This time, with more Lemmy!

• As lame as it is to say, Tony Hawk started my descent into the music that I listen to today. THPS had one edgy soundtrack for a 6th grader. Suicide Machines, Dead Kennedys, the Vandals and motherfuckin' Primus to name a few. After that, I was punk as fuck for a few years. THPS3 and THUG each had a Del track. 3 had the classic "If You Must" and THUG had Deltron 3030's "Positive Contact." THUG also had a sweet Aceyalone track. I still contend that THUG has my favorite video game sountrack of all time, sans the KISS tracks. Somewhere in there I run into Converge, then Orchid and pg.99, then I see Circle Takes the Square and Junius in a church in the middle of nowhere and that started my obsession with screamo and, to a lesser extent, post-rock. And recently I've decided it's a good idea to get in touch with bands like Shellac, the Jesus Lizard, and My Bloody Valentine.

I try to avoid the whole 'emo' discussion altogether. I'm fresh out of high school and remember preaching about real emo to kids in Underoath shirts like it was my job. It all gets really old and you just come off as an elitist hack, anyway. It's not all worth my trouble anymore.

• Användare
    • 16 mar 2008, 21:05
    icarus_complex said:
    then I see Circle Takes the Square and Junius in a church in the middle of nowhere and that started my obsession with screamo and, to a lesser extent, post-rock.

Yeah, you Idaho Falls livin' bastards. Thanks for stealin' that show from Yosada House ;)

I still haven't seen CTtS, but man, I hope they come through Boise sometime soon-ish.

• That show was in Jerome, man, which is about 50 miles closer to you. We were planning on driving to Boise for that one, but then in got moved.

• Användare
    • 17 mar 2008, 01:01
    icarus_complex said:
    That show was in Jerome, man, which is about 50 miles closer to you. We were planning on driving to Boise for that one, but then in got moved.

Oh yeah. Still, That's closer to you.

Man, I don't know what they were thinking playing out there, though. Like everyone in Boise was stoked as hell for that show, and they ended up playing it to a tiny-ass crowd in Jerome, Idaho instead.

How many people ended up showing, anyway?

• Användare
    • 17 mar 2008, 14:13
    Tony hawk games got me into nearly all the bands i like now, espeically THUG and THPS 4. As well as fucking pwning at both of those games, it's got like all my favourite songs on it. Those games rule.

• oioichowdahead said:
    Oh yeah. Still, That's closer to you.

How many people ended up showing, anyway?

I don't know, maybe 50 people showed up. I'm probably overestimating because my mind couldn't comprehend less than 50 people showing up to see CTTS. Then again, I'm terribly at estimating crowds.

• Användare
    • 18 mar 2008, 20:06
    icarus_complex said:
    I don't know, maybe 50 people showed up. I'm probably overestimating because my mind couldn't comprehend less than 50 people showing up to see CTTS. Then again, I'm terribly at estimating crowds.

I heard the turnout was significantly less than that.

But yeah. It sounded like a rad show either way. Junius is pretty sick.

• I started out listening to a lot of metal in the early-mid nineties as I had older brothers who listened to that. In the 6th grade, I loved Korn, Metallica, Sepultura and Pantera. I mostly listened to metal over the next few years, but I branched out as well, and I always had songs from different genres in my library. By the middle of high school, I listened to a lot of rap (Eminem, Dr. Dre, etc.), and pretty much any fast music.

Now, here I am today, with everything from Regina Spektor to The Pogues, to Leftover Crack to Ladytron on my list. I've really grown to love country again as well. There are so many good drinking songs!

i didn't put my hair in a ponytail for nothin', so if i'm goin' home alone, i ain't goin' at all.
    • Användare
    • 19 mar 2008, 21:37
    d0llparts said:
    I've really grown to love country again as well. There are so many good drinking songs!

I think that's a pretty sizable chunk of the appeal country holds for me, too ;)

Really, Motorhead, The Pogues, and pretty much anything country (and good) coming on the bar's jukebox is fine by me.

• Användare
    • 20 mar 2008, 01:06
    i dont see why country is a genre that so many people find repulsive. i enjoy it. cant go wrong with a bit of dolly parton!

• Användare
    • 20 mar 2008, 01:31
    joanna789 said:
    i dont see why country is a genre that so many people find repulsive. i enjoy it. cant go wrong with a bit of dolly parton!

Mainly because most people associate it with truck commercials and voting Republican.

I find both of those things pretty repulsive myself, so it's hard to blame casual music fans for just not knowing any better. But I've always thought there was good in pretty much every genre of music (well, obviously; I did start this group, after all). You've just gotta dig for it, or even just give it a chance!

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 24 mar 2008, 10:07
    my music taste, bleh, where should I start...?

I like so much, but I can't listen to it all, so my charts is kinda inaccurate.

but I enjoy metalcore, hardcore, death metal, grindcore, cybergrind, sludge/drone, post-metal, progressive metal, technical metal, mathcore, deathcore, groove/post-thrash metal, rock, progressive rock (70's), indie rock/pop, post/math rock, (post-)grunge, funk rock, hardcore punk, melodic hardcore, screamo/emo, some crust, post-hardcore, some pop punk, some punk rock, soul music (I like the bass), electronica, breakcore/glitchcore, IDM, hardcore techno, blues rock, jazz, jazz fusion, nu jazz (electrojazz), noise, power pop, underground hip-hop, (seriously, I hate the mainstream hip-hop acts) ++

what I don't like is power metal, symphonic metal, thrash metal, black metal, folk metal, gothic metal, heavy metal, industrial metal, nu metal, goregrind, glam rock, most of the old-skool blues/country, mainstream pop/hip-hop, dance/trance, etc

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • Well, I've pretty much been a listener since I was a little kid, as my parents were both into progressive and alternative music. I grew up going through my dad's CDs, picking out stuff like Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Nirvana and Alien Ant Farm. Now I pretty much listen to anything that sounds good to me, I don't give a crap about genres. Genres came to be almost like high-school labelling and name-calling. However, I must admit that I prefer alternative, indie rock, post hardcore and emo. :)

Edit: Yeah, I saw Tecfan's post just now and I wanted to say that I don't like power metal, symphonic metal, thrash metal, black metal, folk metal, gothic metal, nu metal, goregrind, glam rock, most of the old-skool blues/country, mainstream pop/hip-hop, dance/trance either. I do, however, like some industrial and heavy metal bands.

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 25 mar 2008, 22:49
    heh, I never fell for the heavy (Iron Maiden etc, it's just not me ^^)

• Användare
    • 26 mar 2008, 08:13
    I have to admit, the fact that someone's dad owns an Alien Ant Farm CD makes me feel really old!

And isn't frustration about people disliking entire genres of music the whole reason this group exists? :\

You're bummin' me out, dudes!

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 26 mar 2008, 10:24
    heavy metal isn't "an entire genre"

• Användare
    • 26 mar 2008, 20:41
    Well... uh... it's a genre of music and you didn't say half of it.

So yes, yes, it is.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.