Paint it Black theme for last.fm v.2 [Not my release]

• MellowB sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 20 jul 2008, 11:54

Paint it Black theme for last.fm v.2 [Not my release]

Hey fellow Greasemonkeys

Well, not everyone is happy with the new last.fm (it actually seems that much more are unhappy with it than that there are ppl that are happy about it) so some are looking for a change. Also a lot of you, me included, are missing the "Paint-It-Black" button. Yes, it has been mentioned in the announcement that it will come back sooner or later but till then... there is a Greasemonkey script for that (ofc!).

Also it changes some parts of the current layout so it looks a little bit more like the old one.
    So check it out on userscripts.org:
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/30235

I think it looks kinda nice and some of the changes to the layout are fine too, till the real paint-it-black comes back I'll be using this for sure. ^^

On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the ESC key.
    Redigerad av MellowB den 20 jul 2008, 14:10
    • Alan71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jul 2008, 13:48
    A screenshot would be interesting.

• MellowB sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 20 jul 2008, 13:53
    Ah sure, sorry, my bad. :>

There you go:

• Ah, it's too bad the left navigation was moved without adjusting the layout of the library. 5x3 just looks bad, IMO.

Given that you didn't author the script, I'm not sure how support will go for it (unless you know the last.fm user that wrote it?) but I'll add it to the overview at least until the native black version is released.

• MellowB sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 20 jul 2008, 14:04
    The author apparently is this: http://last.fm/user/gdtroiano

• Okay, you may want to pop over there and ask him if you can promote his script here. Whether he wants to support it or not will be up to him. ;)

• MellowB sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 20 jul 2008, 14:11
    Already did that. ;)

• jarikata sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jul 2008, 14:14
    It takes away the images from the recent tracks (i wonder why...) and the library doesn't look good cause it is uneven when thw sidepanel is taken away-
    otherwise it would be quite ok.

• Alan71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jul 2008, 14:28
    Thx for the screenshot.

Native black theme? Is it planned?

• spacefish said:
    Ah, it's too bad the left navigation was moved without adjusting the layout of the library. 5x3 just looks bad, IMO.

Hey. The problem is that the left column is fluid, so the size of your browser window determines the layout of the library images. For example:

jarikata said:
    It takes away the images from the recent tracks (i wonder why...) and the library doesn't look good cause it is uneven when thw sidepanel is taken away- otherwise it would be quite ok.

It leaves the "listening now" image, but I removed the previous played images to shorten up the page.

• Alan71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jul 2008, 14:36
    A "clear: right;" on the 4th element of the library should solve the problem, don't you think?

That's quite brutal, but an easy way to solve it.

• MellowB sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 20 jul 2008, 14:38
    Alan71 said:
    Native black theme? Is it planned?

Yes, it is planned to have that one back sooner or later, at least thats what was mentioned in the announcement for the new layout.

gdtroiano said:
    jarikata said:
    It takes away the images from the recent tracks (i wonder why...) and the library doesn't look good cause it is uneven when thw sidepanel is taken away- otherwise it would be quite ok.

It leaves the "listening now" image, but I removed the previous played images to shorten up the page.

Mh well for me that "Now Playing" image is also a bit too few.
    I'd love to have a few more pictures there as it is with the current standard layout. Actually I would like to see a lot more pictures than that there but the standard amount would be great already. ^^

• Alan71 said:
    A "clear: right;" on the 4th element of the library should solve the problem, don't you think?

Like I said, the left column is fluid, so even if that were possible (there's no identifiable id or class specific for each library image. well, there is, but it's dynamic), if the browser window was too wide it would leave a large whitespace to the right of the 4th image. Sure, it would 4x4 then, but instead of being uneven and full width it would even and left justified with a ton of whitespace to the right of the images.

• Alan71 sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jul 2008, 15:03
    It's still possible by iterating on document.getElementsByTagName("ul") and look for an ul that matches the /libraryItems/ pattern in its className attribute.

8 is 2*2*2, that does not leave many solutions. 8x1 cannot definitely be acheived. 2x4 would be ugly and space wasting. 4x2 is probably the best solution. setting "margin:auto;" or "align: center;" on the ul should do the job.

@MellowB: good thing for the native black theme. hope it'll be deployed soon.

• gdtroiano said:
    Hey. The problem is that the left column is fluid, so the size of your browser window determines the layout of the library images.

Exactly. And I have a widescreen monitor (1680x1050). My browser isn't as wide (I leave room for the Vista sidebar) but it is wide enough (1450) to cause a 7x1 layout, which looks even worse.

And I'm one who wants *more* images here. I miss the old quilts.

Ooo... also I noticed after I posted that the forums stretched the whole width of my window making posts very hard to read (typically, comfortable reading should only be about 13 words or less per line).

Not knocking your effort. It's a great script. It just doesn't "work" for me.

Since you are here now though, I'll get this one added to the overview tomorrow. Thanks for the work. :)

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 jul 2008, 08:38
    Installed & working.

I actually prefer this to the 'new' look we've been lumbered with. Sod the official 'Paint it Black', I'll be using this for the forseeable.

• Thanks. This is added now. :)

• RoBz88 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 jul 2008, 09:48
    I would recommend the Stylish version. You don't get that "oh it's all red and white..... wait....now it's black". That way you never get to be blinded with all that white :p

“I didn’t mean to kill nobody,I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord.” - R.L. Burnside
  • spacefish said:
    And I'm one who wants *more* images here. I miss the old quilts.

It's just one of those things that some people like and some don't. I prefer the recently listened to list to be shorter. With the exception of the "listening now" image, the recently listened to images were too small anyway. Though I also liked the old quilt.

RoBz88 said:
    I would recommend the Stylish version. You don't get that "oh it's all red and white..... wait....now it's black". That way you never get to be blinded with all that white :p

I would recommend using stylish as well. Unfortunately, they've been having all sorts of problems with the site of late.

There are a bunch of fixes I need to add, especially for the group and forum pages. Not to mention the problems I haven't discovered yet...

• Användare
    • 21 jul 2008, 13:45
    I tried it, but I didn't like it. It didn't look that good. (IMHO)
    I want it as it is now, only change I want is to make the upper big red banner black. But I hear that this is in the making. So I'll wait for it.
    Keep up the good work though! ;)

• _Tarkus_ sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 jul 2008, 18:18
    I'm afraid the two-column approach will never work for widescreen monitors. It just makes the charts and shouts even more difficult to read, when all stretched out.

• jarikata sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 jul 2008, 07:39
    We have now native "paint it black" yay! And, what i think is even more important, Inbox outside the drop down menu. Getting better all the time....

• Användare
    • 26 jul 2008, 10:22
    This native theme is pretty fine, though, since I got used to the script version, I miss simplified charts, greyness instead of blue, and menu moved from the left side to the top :/ Is there a chance there will be script doing only this?

• jarikata sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 jul 2008, 11:16
    I like this Last.fm's own paint it black much more since the script removed the images from the recent chart and made the library look weird in my screen and I WANT to have more images..

• I too am a convert to the Stylish (some examples and easy to follow instructions here)

Last.fm Dark-Grey/Olive V.3 Re-Structured being the one that captured my eye, with it's three column layout - eliminating all the ugly whitespace in addition to eliminating all the eyesore!

you can see how I now see my page here:

Note: while its not strictly a requirement for you to upgrade to FF 3 (this worked just fine for me before upgrading), you'll be glad you did. FF3 is a quick download, easy install and much improved over ver2 - FF3's superior memory management alone is worth the price of admission!

UnderKnown Artists you might like?
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.