Highlight Same Artist script...

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 sep 2006, 18:12

Highlight Same Artist script...

To the script author,

... any chance it could work with a user's entire artist list, rather than just the top artists? eg couldn't it parse the extended charts page, when visited, a remember the users on that page? Do Greasemonkey scripts even have a persistent memory anywhere??

Ta,

Mark

• I'm not the author of the script, but I can try to answer your questions:

Do Greasemonkey scripts even have a persistent memory anywhere??

No. GM scripts retrieve all their information from web pages, for example the artist chart. This information can however be stored in the cache of your browser, just like pictures and such can be stored. The information will stay there until its updated by the GM script, or removed or whatever.

.. any chance it could work with a user's entire artist list, rather than just the top artists?

It is possible for sure, since the information is available. I think you'd be able to convert the existing script into the script you propose by changing some of the url's in the script. (not sure though, just my two cents) edit: on second thought, I think it's a bit more work. Anyway, I'm not going to dig in GM scripts just yet...

..and god created man
    and man created machine
    and machine, machine created music
    and machine saw everything it had made and said:
    Behold
  • I'm not a javascript developer, but the problem is that currently the xml feed with the top 50 artists is used. There is no top 500 artist feed available, so the page would have to be loaded and parsed. This isn't practical for several reasons.

Want to listen to your playlists on last.fm? Have a look at TagBar
  • I don't know what version script you're running, but mine highlights all the way to the bottom of the overall artists chart. Might want to reinstall/update yours.

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 sep 2006, 16:58
    Just updated. No change. Still only highlights using my top artists as a reference. I want it to use my entire artist list :D

Mark

• marshee sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 sep 2006, 19:17
    I think it's only possible to highlight the top 50, due to the content of the xml feeds.

• Well, mine's highlighting down to the bottom so I don't know what script you guys are using.

• Same here. Mine highlights all the way to the bottom.

spacefish said:
    Well, mine's highlighting down to the bottom so I don't know what script you guys are using.

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 sep 2006, 08:31
    OK so what script are you using? :D

I am using the one at the front page of this greasemonkey group.

Mark

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 sep 2006, 08:34
    Spacefish, the reason Everything But the Girl is highlighting is because that artist is in your top 50...

You have YES at 101 - come to my page (Yes is my number 1 artist) and see if it highlights... my bet is that it doesn't... and this is what I am asking for, a script that works with your entire artist list, not just the top 50.

Cheers,

Mark

• Ah, okay, I understand now. Only your top 50 artists highlight regardless of what chart it's on or where it appears in their chart. Got it!

Sure, it would be nice to see the rest, I guess. Not crucial to me though and probably a major drag on the system without a direct feed!

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 sep 2006, 10:49
    Yup, not a major issue - just bugs me when I look at somebody's profile and see artists I listen to which aren't highlighted. Makes the whole script a bit pointless. It'd be less of a drag than the current approach, which loads your top 50 every time? It would only need to parse your complete chart when you visit it (rarely) to gather your groups...

• Mark_H said:
    Yup, not a major issue - just bugs me when I look at somebody's profile and see artists I listen to which aren't highlighted. Makes the whole script a bit pointless. It'd be less of a drag than the current approach, which loads your top 50 every time? It would only need to parse your complete chart when you visit it (rarely) to gather your groups...

I think you'll find the last varies from user to user. If you visit yours rarely, I probably visit mine occasionally.

One approach could be that the script parses the list the first time on the overall artists chart and then requires a manual call (USC) to run again.

I'd definitely use it!

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 sep 2006, 15:45
    Any approach which encompases a users entire artist list gets my vote :D

Mark

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 sep 2006, 14:15
    Any chance of getting the script updated to work with the new site?

Mark

• It's been updated but I forget where I saw it posted. Grab it from the overview page.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 sep 2006, 14:03
    It just works for the Weekly Top Artist and the Top Tracks, not for the Top Artists. Anyone else with this problem?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 sep 2006, 14:23
    Okay. Now it works perfect...

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 sep 2006, 14:52
    There is something not quite right - often the weekly tracks get the highlight while the main chart doesn't. Reloading the page usually fixes but it's happening quite regularly...?

Mark

• I only noticed that behavior the first time the script ran after installing it but not since. Be sure you uninstall the old HSA script as the updated one creates a new file rather than overwriting the old.

• one3rd sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 sep 2006, 12:13
    The downside that I see to having the script use your entire list would be that even if you listen to an artist once, maybe an artist that you don't particularly like, it would show highlighted. Perhaps if Last.fm had a top 100 feed, it could work, but I think using the entire chart would be a bad idea.

• Mark_H sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 sep 2006, 12:38
    Good point.

The script could be configurable to include an arbitrary number for the full artist list, ie top 100?

Mark

• Something Changed

I was just on someone's profile and Corrosion of Conformity highlighted. I thought, wtf?! I do listen to them but they are definitely not in my top 50. Corrosion of Conformity is in fact #494 of 494 (last 6 or so of the 500). So it looks like matches are now checked for the full 500 in my list?! Yay? Am I confused? Because it's certainly possible. :)

Redigerad av spacefish den 1 okt 2006, 03:47
  • I've fixed the bug, check here ;-)

• onelittleindian said:
    I've fixed the bug, check here ;-)

Um, what?

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.