Would You Go As Far As "Reinventing" The Standards?

• Would You Go As Far As "Reinventing" The Standards?

Hi guys, this is a weird question, but I have a project I want to work on, and I want your opinions on this.
    Would you guys go as far as reinventing your tagging standards, as long as you have a nice and neat library? For example, there is a lot of ambiguity regarding using "(live)" or "[live]" in live tags, and therefore a lot of songs are tagged in different ways and it's a mess.

Personally, I would create my own tagging standards. Would you do it too? If you got together with a group of people, would you create an standarized way of tagging things?

I know it's a weird question, but I want to build a music database and I want to nail down the tagging issue without creating a messy database. I would like your opinions on this.

• ManDirky sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 aug 2011, 18:29
    Yeah, I got my own tagging standarts.

For remixes with features I always use:

Artist A - Song Title (Remix) (Feat. Artist B)
    Artist A - Song Title (Remix) (Feat. Artist B & Artist C)
    Artist A - Song Title (Artist D Remix) (Feat. Artist B & Artist C)

Live-Versions:

Artist A - Song Title (live)

I always do it like this when I got no album artwork. When I got one, I copy the tagging-way from the back of my CD. And I usually do a little research on last.fm before I start to scrobble my tracks first.

• jankuca sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 18 aug 2011, 18:51
    It would be best if the next version of ID3 tags had fields just for versioning (ie. Title = "Song title", Version="Live")

I personally prefer square brackets. The round ones are for parts of the title such as Bloc Party – "Song For Clay (Disappear Here)"

• yeah I have seen that square brackets are better used for denoting whether a track is live or another version. I prefer that notation too.

I want to have strict coding standards for my music database, without making a mess.

Oh yeah, we can always create our own ID3 tag... Main problem is that it wouldn't be supported by players unless we explicitly asked them to.

• aerozol1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 jan 2012, 04:07
    Interesting... What would you to differently to the current standards that various databases have? because as far as I know, this already exists in various forms (mainly Music Brainz, and other databases, like Discogs).

unicorns
  • I am definatly interested in keeping my library all the same way. Wether i use [live] or (live) or when i have a (maxi)single i put the single name in the album tag with [Single] behind it because some singles have the same title.

So i keep my own standards, but everyone feels different about what should be the standard.

I actually just created a group for a standard way of tagging Featured artists:
    http://www.last.fm/group/I+keep+Featured+Artists+in+a+separate+Featuring+Tag

It's about tagging the featured artist(s) in a separate tag. Not in Artist or Title.
    I really would love to make this the standard so last.fm (and other services) can better use our information.
    If this would be a standard tagfield, we wouldn't have the multiple artists and songtitles problem, because again with this everyone also feels different about where the featured artists should be tagged in, and i guess with the sulotion i use, everyone is happy.
    If you agree please join, maybe one day we could make this a standard!

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 mar 2012, 11:47
    I've been thinking about this for some time now, and i agree with you, sub-data like "live", "feat." etc.. should have a separate tag
    and another thing that bugs me is about albums that have 2 or more discs
    i use (disc #) as a standard, but it'd be better if Last employed a solution for this, so that we wouldn't have to place the "(disc #)" on the album name just to separate it

• Since there is a disc number ID3 field, I never used this "(Disc 2)" nonsense.

• Yes that's what the discnumber tagfield is for. But i understand mikeedols, Last.FM doesn't read that tag out, so it just sees it as the same album.

• Veinrot sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 apr 2012, 08:53
    VolcanoColdplay said:
    Since there is a disc number ID3 field, I never used this "(Disc 2)" nonsense.

I don't see why you would want to scrobble it as different albums. It is the same album, just split up into (often) two pieces of plastic.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.