The right way to tag featuring artist?

• lynoure sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 nov 2011, 09:28

The right way to tag featuring artist?

When I buy music as files, I feel tempted to go with the tags already there, but in the latest Conjure One album _both_ the title tag and the artist tag listed "feat. <another artist>" and that came across as plainly wrong.

So what it the right way?

I'm torn between putting it in the artist tag (as the other artist is an artist too) and the song title (having the other artist in the artist tag can cause sorting complications).

• aerozol1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 dec 2011, 05:51
    last.fm follows MusicBrainz style guidelines, so the 'correct' way is to just tag it by what they have on there, or tag it automatically using their Picard music tagger:
    http://musicbrainz.org/artist/734f6784-413d-4779-a81b-1a10f5e2a1a3

Their style guidelines standardise all 'featured' tracks to be named the same way, because it's something that generally gets used in so many different ways in albums, it's confusing as hell, in file tags, and esp. on track listings.
    You can tag however you want though, but MB is last.fm's 'official' source.

unicorns
    • liftarn sa...
    • Wiki Moderator
    • 12 dec 2011, 12:07
    I tag with Picard, but use a plugin that removes "feat.". See http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Picard_Plugins under "Remove Feat. Artists from Titles"

Please do yourself and Last.fm a favour and fix your tags. The easiest way is to use Musicbrainz Picard.
  • One more time, straight:

where do you put: "(feat. random artist)"
    and where do you put "(random artist remix)"

thanks for answers

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 maj 2012, 08:35
    Artist - Track (feat. Somebody Else) (Somebody's Remix)

• Not quite, misgrey...

Artist feat. Another Artist - Track (Somebody's Remix)

• Not quite, lulzplzkthx...

"Artist feat. Another Artist" works very well on sites such as MusicBrainz or Discogs but not on last.fm.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 maj 2012, 16:18
    Agreed with misgrey and tape_rewinder.

For the purposes of lastfm scrobbling, I find it best to use "Artist - Track (feat. Somebody Else) (Somebody's Remix)"

• aL0k8r sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jun 2012, 01:48
    i disagree because "Artist feat. Somebody Else" is not the same artist as just "Artist" and each artist's (or collaboration of artists') music deserves to be distinguished respectively. "feat. Somebody Else" should be included in the artist tag.

i vote for "Artist feat. Featured Artist - Title (Remixer's Remix)"

which tag i believe the remixing artist belongs in could be another argument entirely...

• I have to correct my answer:

When two or more artists collaborate on the same project, Artist (on last.fm) should be the sum of all these artists, i. e. Artist 1, Artist 2 & Artist 3. For example Burial & Four Tet.
    On sites such as MB or Discogs, they have their databases sorted out in the form <artist 1>, <artist 1> & <artist 3>. So each artist gets the credits he deserves.
    That is, however, not the case of last.fm. Here, every collaboration creates a new artist with separate profile page, tracks etc. It mixes all up.

Not to mention, when you start using Artist feat. Featured Artist, you will have milions of unnecessary pages and an ultimate chaos. But frankly, that's what is actually happening on this site.

• aerozol1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jun 2012, 04:17
    ^ doesn't matter.

If somebody's asking what the CORRECT way to tag something is, it is always to put the artist (including feat.) credit into the artist field.

If they're asking what's a tidy way to tag just to scrobble, then sure, change it around all you want.

unicorns
  • tape_rewinder escribió:
    I have to correct my answer:

When two or more artists collaborate on the same project, Artist (on last.fm) should be the sum of all these artists, i. e. Artist 1, Artist 2 & Artist 3. For example Burial & Four Tet.
    On sites such as MB or Discogs, they have their databases sorted out in the form <artist 1>, <artist 1> & <artist 3>. So each artist gets the credits he deserves.
    That is, however, not the case of last.fm. Here, every collaboration creates a new artist with separate profile page, tracks etc. It mixes all up.

Not to mention, when you start using Artist feat. Featured Artist, you will have milions of unnecessary pages and an ultimate chaos. But frankly, that's what is actually happening on this site.

Claps! 100% agree. Fairly good explanation!

• I'll be honest that the parentheses annoys me in the feat. business. Some song titles employ them as a part of the song name. To me, I think the brackets ([ and ]) and even these things ({ and }) should be used for extra information to makethings precise.

• inkupoll sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 aug 2013, 21:56
    I just stick to the way it comes on iTunes - Artist - Song (feat. Featured Artist) unless it's a bonus track and says [bonus track] because that just bugs me to no end. I wish this shit was less complicated because it causes me so much strife but whateverrrr

• That whole “featuring” stuff goes to the track artist (those usually support more than one value for each key, so every contributing artist can be mentioned there), while the album artist is the one mentioned on the front cover, and the track title is, well, the track title, as mentioned in the track list.

An example (as it appears in my configuration of Foorbar2000):
    Within Temptation – The Heart of Everything
     1.01 The Howling
     1.02 What have you done // Within Temptation, Keith Caputo
     1.03 Frozen
     …

Of course, that’s just my interpretation, and mostly I just drop that whole stuff…

I seem to be more machine than man.
    • GPX sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 apr 2014, 10:01
    Probably not a popular opinion but my suggestion is to keep it simple and drop the featuring from the artist and title positions all together.
    Should be solved by ID3 and Itunes and Last.fm and whatnot to use a dedicated featuring field. I'll ask the United Nations to make this a priority on their agenda.

• IniniveI sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jun 2014, 23:02
    I personally think that "Artist" should be the name on the cd, I don't like having the "feat" part on the title though so I usually remove it.

• what about "(featuring ...)" instead of "(feat. ...)" ?

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.