Who are some CURRENT folk-rock musicians we should be aware of?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 jul 2006, 00:17

Who are some CURRENT folk-rock musicians we should be aware of?

Okay, so we've asked the question about who the greatest folk-rock musicians of all time are, and Dylan, who I love and have seen many times, seems to come in at or near the top. Now let's look forward: who are some CURRENT folk-rock muscians we should be listening to? Thoughts?

• Ryan Adams...of course!

That's an obvious choice. I think Josh Rouse (though less "folky")is also quite exceptional.

• Användare
    • 19 jul 2006, 19:28

Ryan Adams . . . is a, well . . .

I saw Ryan Adams with Whiskeytown. Twice. Both times he turned his back on the audience. I also hang out in the East Village in NYC and have seen him do a "star turn" more than once. He is a great singer and songwriter, but a piss-poor performer and human being. That said, I still love "Strangers Almanac," as well as "Gold" and "Cold Roses," but I got the latter two for free at the radio station where I work, and I refuse to ever spend a dime on his music again. Josh Rouse, however, I have heard of but never heard; I WILL check him out. Thanks.

• uncle tupelo and all the off-shoots,wilco,golden smog,etc.

love is all you need! is there anybody alive out there?
  • Tegan and Sara

These girls are awesome!!! They are Canadian and twins...i have loved them ever since i saw them at Folk Fest 2 years ago.

If you want some good folk rock these girla HAVE to be part of your collection!

Live like you will never die,
    love like you've never been hurt,
    dance like no-one is watching. :)
    • Användare
    • 27 jul 2006, 03:45

Uncle Tupelo . . .

I saw Uncle Tupelo in NYC in 1996 or 1997. Great show, great band. I loved Wilco's first album, AM, but haven't been into them as much since then (though I know most people think they've gotten better). Liked Son Volt's first album, too (and the last one not as much). Love Golden Smog. But they're all from the 90's. Someone in another group turned me on to a guy in Vermont named Oweihops. He's pretty good. Plus I've been listening to Serena Matthews and Lee Tyler Post. I think there's just got to be more below the surface than the major-label bands, good as some of them are.

• Användare
    • 27 jul 2006, 04:22

Good folk-ish artists

Check Out: Will Oldham (aka Bonnie "Prince" Billy)
    Ben Kweller
    Red Hunter
    The Fall

• Användare
    • 27 jul 2006, 16:05

Thanks

I've heard of Will Oldham, but never heard him. I'll check him out, as well as the other folks you mentioned (know Ben Kweller but not the other two). I'll let you know what I think. Thanks.

• Användare
    • 15 aug 2006, 00:46

Be Good Taynas?

Hey, that's the second time I've heard of them. Where are they from?

• I am leader of: the Ethereal music group; the Darkwave Music group and the Faith And the Muse group.
    Suspicious food taster at:
    • Användare
    • 27 aug 2006, 19:55
    Be Good Tanyas are from Victoria, BC. I believe... I could easily be wrong.

My list:

Hammell on Trial
    Martha Wainwright
    Oh Susanna (Although I wouldn't recommend her newest album)
    Ani DiFranco
    Diane Cluck
    Joanna Newsom
    Nathan
    The Sadies (Easily considered country, but these guys will blow you away with their guitar skillz... Probably the best concert I've ever been too.)
    Neko Case
    Noe Venable
    Kimya Dawson
    Gregory and the Hawk
    Danny Michel
    Melissa McClelland
    Luke Doucet
    Jim Bryson
    The Cracker Cats
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    Serena Ryder

Some aren't really 'rock' but still really amazing folk music with lyrics that will make you pull out your pubes and cum in your pants at the same time.

• You should check out Pumajaw. They are really great, Espers are quite good too.

• Will Oldham is part of Bonnie Prince Billy (which is a collaboration with his brother and some friends, i believe). Here are some Folk-Rock musicians to check out:

Michael the Blind
    M. Ward
    Vic Chesnut
    16 Horsepower (well, they are almost current, they broke up a couple years back)
    Tarmac is a great French folkish-rock band, if you can find their stuff.
    Louise Attaque is also French folk-rock, comprised of the members of Tarmac, and it's much easier to find their albums. they're a ton-o-fun. I think their drummer (or fiddler?) was also in 16 horsepower.

• John Butler Trio & Xavier Rudd

• Användare
    • 26 sep 2006, 15:17
    For everyone who likes Crosby, Stills & Nash: check out David Crosby's latest band: Crosby, Pevar & Raymond.

Oh... if you have the time: please vote for the official image of CPR. It's time they get one!

• Lepuss sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 sep 2006, 16:21
    Angels of Light
    Pumajaw
    Espers
    Hush Arbours

• My favorites currently are Ryan Adams and Joseph Arthur. I also recently stumbled upon this band Jake Ziah, and I'm quite impressed. They have some full length songs up for streaming, but the whole album is really good. Also, I really love Jose Gonzalez. He's more folk than folk-rock, but he's amazing.

• Brysie sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 nov 2006, 12:30
    I dunno if you classify Ben Harper as Folk Rock...but Ben Harper anyway.
    Also, The Waifs
    Joshua Radin
    Teitur
    Sufjan Stevens
    Iron & Wine
    Clare Bowditch
    Beth Orton
    Devandra Banhart
    Damien Rice

• he borders on country,but,steve earle.

love is all you need! is there anybody alive out there?
    • Bayou16 sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 jan 2007, 01:31
  • Dala
    Vox Violins
    Caitlin Keelan
    Michael McConkey

• Old Crow Medicine Show

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.