Do you like this doom?

• Do you like this doom?

Check out this band, do you like the doom they play??

www.myspace.com/phrygiangates

Let me know...

De Javú
  • It's not quite as doomy, as I had hoped. Still, pretty good though.

• It sounds good, very good indeed... doesn't it? Do you think they could become a reference? Let me know...clobbercronk escribió:
    It's not quite as doomy, as I had hoped. Still, pretty good though.

De Javú
  • It sounds good, very good indeed... doesn't it? Do you think they could become a reference? Let me know...clobbercronk escribió:
    It's not quite as doomy, as I had hoped. Still, pretty good though.

De Javú
    • Manowar1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 nov 2008, 05:34
    They sound good, but sorry man, this is absolutely NOT Doom!
    They describe their own style as "Rock / Metal / Progressive", which I agree with.

• Yeah

I know, mate! But, what is doom for you? greetingsManowar1 escribió:
    They sound good, but sorry man, this is absolutely NOT Doom!
    They describe their own style as "Rock / Metal / Progressive", which I agree with.

De Javú
    • Manowar1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 jan 2009, 01:40
    Doom Metal is a form of Heavy Metal that typically employs very slow tempos, low-tuned guitars and a much 'thicker' or 'heavier' sound than other metal genres.
    Best examples: Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Saint Vitus, Reverend Bizarre, Pagan Altar, Doomsword, Cathedral, Count Raven, Cirith Ungol, Solitude Aeturnus, Place of Skulls, The Obsessed, Sheavy, Witchfinder General, Electric Wizard, Grand Magus, The Hidden Hand, Orange Goblin, Pentagram, Bedemon, Trouble and many more.

• dalifry sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 feb 2009, 03:36

the doom banner - does it always fit?

Cirith Ungol sounds like classic NWOBHM-esque heavy metal, helium vocals, catchy riffs and all, rather than doom to me.

Listening to bands like Witchcraft getting labelled doom metal makes me wonder whether the retro-Sabbath/Pentagram aspect has led to a lot of things that may be closer to classic metal or even 70s hard rock sneaking in under the doom label because no one else quite knows what to do with them.

• Manowar1 sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 feb 2009, 10:30
    You are picking on Cirith Ungol, a wrong band to pick on.
    Doom IS Heavy Metal, the Heaviest of all Metal genres. To explain simply: the Doom Metal subgenre basically formed by bands greatly influenced by Black Sabbath. The early ("Traditional") Doom bands were/are Pentagram, Bedemon, Trouble, Saint Vitus, Witchfinder General and others. The style of Cirith Ungol fits right in.
    I consider these bands the original Doom bands, even though at that time there was only a single genre "Heavy Metal".
    NWOBHM is not a genre, I consider NWOBHM an erroneous designation, it has a limitation of a single country.

Do not worry about these great 1970's "Heavy" metal bands "sneaking" into the Doom label. However, You SHOULD really WORRY about more recent popular rock bands taking over and distorting the genre. Just check out the top 8 bands shown for the "doom metal" genre here on last.fm:
    Black Sabbat = doom metal (yes, the only true doom band of the top 8)
    Anathema, Katatonia, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride - each started as Death/Doom (emphasis on Death), but now play Rock
    Type O Negative - Gothic Doom (emphasis on Gothic)
    Moonspell & Tiamat - Gothic metal, never played Doom

7 out of the 8 bands are falsly accused of being Doom Metal!! So if you have a problem with non-Doom bands referred to as Doom, start with these 7.
    I listened to a few Witchcraft tracks, like "Queen of Bees", and it is closer to Doom Metal than any of the 7 false-doomers on the list.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.