Are Doom Metal fans more open minded than other metal heads.

• Are Doom Metal fans more open minded than other metal heads.

I've noticed that doom metal fans are more likely to like other genres of music than thrash and core metal fans. Do you agree? Why or why not?

"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex…every sort of filth. And ya hate the police, don't ya?"-Electric Wizard

"The most important part of my religion is to play guitar." -Lou Reed
    • EmeteCT sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 maj 2012, 09:33
    My personal experience tells me that, in general, the statement is true. Given that doom metal is one of the underground genres, it's very unlikely to hear of it on the conventional musical panorama or even in a lot of metal music media. So, most doom metal listeners have to seek for the music they might like by themselves, listening to this and to that, and to this group and to that other thing. So I guess the more music you look for (regardless of the genre), the more open-minded you get. Your hearing gets more and more used to the different sounds of each genre.

In my case, I've got four main metal/rock genres in my favourites: Melodeath, Progressive, Doom (especially Funeral) and Post-Rock. Of course, I enjoy some other stuff (jazz, classical, shoegaze, DSBM...), so I guess I'm pretty open-minded with regards to music, although I can't consider myself as a musical expert. No-one can, in fact.

Now awake I stand free...
    • Randwer sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 maj 2012, 17:05
    Maybe it is the other way round, too. Open minded listeners from other genres find their way to metal by doom metal.
    At least that is the case for me. I was mainly a listener of ambient and progressive electronic music before I found last.fm and developed a weakness for a lot of other genres by listening to tag radios.

They don't trust us, why should we trust them, then?
  • I agree that doom's underground status has allot to do with it. Another reason doom fans maybe more open minded is it's close relation to Neo-Psych and Stoner Rock scenes. What Are your thoughts?

"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex…every sort of filth. And ya hate the police, don't ya?"-Electric Wizard

• Doom fans never struck me as being any more or less "open-minded" than the majority of metal fans, really. Perhaps they've got a more eclectic taste on average than most metal fans - doom is a ridiculously broad genre of music, and exclusively listening to doom still means that you can listen to bands as wildly different as Trouble, Disembowelment or Sunn O))), whereas listening exclusively to thrash or metalcore is a lot more limiting - but that's just me speculating.

Not sure about whether doom's underground status really affects much, I guess being more underground means that you need to put in a bit more effort to find stuff you like (which may be why doom fans are ridiculously devoted to the genre), but I don't know if that would affect how eclectic a doom fan's taste is.

Regardless, I don't really like the idea of being self-congratulatory about how eclectic or open-minded we are.

• I'm not really trying to pat myself or anyone else on the back. I'm just making a observation about a culture. I think the music taste of doom fans is more eclectic and the music of doom bands occupies a broader spectrum.

• I believe it is true basically because Doom metal includes elements from other music styles... even Doom itself has an enormous range of varieties. People who listen to Stoner Doom are likely to listen to rock bands, and Death Doom fans to Death Metal.
    Another reason could be that Thrash metal is not an underground style anymore. It's accepted and widely listened to... and, in general, when something is popular, it's not varied, but rather tends to use the same formula over and over again. Mind you, I do like thrash metal, but talking objectively that's what I feel). Besides, there are some horribly over-generic doom bands. Let's face it.

• EmeteCT sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jun 2012, 06:59
    "Not sure about whether doom's underground status really affects much, I guess being more underground means that you need to put in a bit more effort to find stuff you like (which may be why doom fans are ridiculously devoted to the genre), but I don't know if that would affect how eclectic a doom fan's taste is."

It seems to me that it does affect. Since you have to search more to find the music you may like, it implies listening to a lot of different sounds, that may attract you more or less. So when you're listening to such a wide range of stuff, you may be attacted by different sounds and continue looking along the multiple branches of a genre, even when they entwine branches from other genres.

We cannot state a general truth though, as there are of course some tatterhead doomsters who never go out of the genre and get stuck in it (I've got one friend who looks down on every single doom song with gutturals). However, it's far easier to find those tatterheads in another genres, such as thrash, power or metalcore, but just because they are more available I mean, it's usually less difficult to find the music you like in them.

Besides, as Politeuskalhori said, mainstream genres are used to getting stuck to the same formulas. We can find this in every musical genre, but I feel that, talking about metal, metalcore, power, classical heavy and thrash are more likely to overuse them. Or maybe it's just my impression, since there are more bands of these genres than doom bands. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out of my mind.

P.S.: I guess I can be considered open-minded, but I don't think that's an argument to say I'm "better" than someone else. There's a lot of music to listen, a lot more than the music we alreadyh know, and my ambition is just to enjoy as much music as I can. I just like to sit down, close my eyes and enjoy the sounds, regardless of the genre.

Now awake I stand free...
    • Randwer sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 jun 2012, 18:13
    Well, I suppose that becoming more open-minded is primarily beneficial for ourselves.

They don't trust us, why should we trust them, then?
  • It is difficult for one to star listening to Doom metal, so to find Doom metal bands one listens to other metal genres, perhaps one starts with the most commercial , but I think it is true that one knows more genres and bands before getting Doom metal.

On the other hand, there's a point where Doom metal is related to other non metal genres, (is Drone really metal?) such as Avant-garde, experimental, noise and other stuff. So I think that a Doom metal fan is able to listen to more genres that are not metal, and then DOOM METAL FANS ARE MORE OPEN-MINDED

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 jul 2014, 12:24
    It's a bit of both in my opinion. I think doom metal fans are more aware of the origins and heritage of the genre prior to metal music (whatever form it takes) existing as a recognizable style. I think that people who listen to doom tend to draw from other related styles more readily like stoner, sludge, crust, even things like proto-punk, progressive and psychedelic rock. If anything I'd say traditional doom heads are more guilty of dismissing other genres of metal, usually for very subjective reasons to do with the atmosphere and themes of the music, as well as the differences in play style and song writing. If you don't mind anecdotal evidence, then I'd say I see more exclusively black metal profiles on last.fm than I do doom ones. DFeath and grind fans usually have some room for anarcho punk, hardcore and other such things in their libraries, and I've yet to see any exclusively power metal profiles on this site. I'd say those that call themselves doom metal fans tend to have slightly more individualistic streak in their libraries. But then I would say that!

• EmeteCT said:
    My personal experience tells me that, in general, the statement is true. Given that doom metal is one of the underground genres, it's very unlikely to hear of it on the conventional musical panorama or even in a lot of metal music media. So, most doom metal listeners have to seek for the music they might like by themselves, listening to this and to that, and to this group and to that other thing. So I guess the more music you look for (regardless of the genre), the more open-minded you get. Your hearing gets more and more used to the different sounds of each genre.

I concur.
    I can see a pattern for doom metal lovers, dichotomous from other genre. Although, now that I am older I enjoy black, thrash, and death even more than doom.

• Your_Old sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 aug 2014, 09:22
    I guess I'd agree with this statement based just no myself, I love doom metal and it's my primary genre, but I'm not closeminded when it comes to music, which makes my library even weird a little. Also, basically every doom metal fan I know is more openminded about music than other metal lovers.

JHVA ELOHIM METH

"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
    And in the lowest deep a lower deep
    Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide,
    To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven."
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.