What translation of the Bible do you use?

• What translation of the Bible do you use?

We all know that Bible reading is an important part of growing spiritually, so I'm just curious, what translation do you use and why?

For me, I like to use the World English Bible (ebible.org). I know the Old Testament not entirely complete yet, but they do have the NT and Psalms+Proverbs finished.

What about you?

• Mmm. I downloaded audiotracks in World English from www.audiotreasure.com, I use NKJV/The norwegian translation of 1978 or something for a bilingual new testament I have, the latest Norwegian translation personally and I'm buying an English one with the New International Version when I'm going to Hawaii. Comeplete chaos.

• wimme sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 maj 2007, 23:13
    New International Version.
    I check the other versions (KJV included) on-line when I feel the need, on biblegateway.com for example.

For tough cases I check out the Hebrew or greek on blueletterbible.org. It is the only one I have found so far where I can do that. More suggestions are welcome.

• I finally bought my NIV Bible! :d Whoo! :D It's got so much great extra tools :)

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 sep 2007, 03:44
    ESV

• paulgear sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 sep 2007, 21:05

Lots!

In English, we have an embarrassment of riches with Bible translations. Did you know that since the year 1900 there has been more than one English translation of either the New Testament or the whole Bible released every year? (I have about 60 of these.)

I think every English speaking Christian has two responsibilities because of this:

1. Support the work of Bible translators around the world who are translating for people who have never had the Scriptures in their own language.

2. Read from a variety of different translations and not get hung up about which one is better than the others. Gordon Fee & Douglas Stuart, in "How to read the Bible for all its worth" suggest that to read effectively, 5 different translations of varying types should be used. For this, my preferences are (from more formal to more dynamic): NASB, ESV, NIV, GNB, and NLT.

• Arwen4CJ sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jan 2008, 17:50

Re: What translation of the Bible do you use?

kingofpenguins said:
    We all know that Bible reading is an important part of growing spiritually, so I'm just curious, what translation do you use and why?

For me, I like to use the World English Bible (ebible.org). I know the Old Testament not entirely complete yet, but they do have the NT and Psalms+Proverbs finished.

What about you?

I mostly use the NIV and the NASB.

However, I own other Bibles too....such as the NRSV, and the Good News Bible.

• Användare
    • 31 jan 2008, 14:41
    NIV...
    But I still want to have THE MESSAGE, I think it is very interesting!!

• Användare
    • 24 apr 2008, 23:04
    Grew up reading the NIV, but also got an ESV recently. It seems to be closer to the structure of the original translations, which doesn't make it as 'flowing' as the NIV, but kind of prefer it.

Ello, btw!

• Felix101 sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 jun 2008, 19:07
    I'm reading the NLT at the moment, but also have a GNB. Both are great, but would like to invest in a few more.

• God did not hand down the bible for us to be confused. Therefore, I think that whatever translation you can best understand is the one you should use. I personally like NIV.

• nodua sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 sep 2008, 22:40
    i like the old fashion kjv (kinda from a Mennonite backround) but like the strong's tools which gives a variety of renditions of each word, i want an amplified for similar reasons.

• Användare
    • 2 nov 2008, 22:57
    Actually, I use Reina - Valera 1960 version, in my opinion is the best version, because I grew up with this version

• KJV only. All the others are screwed up and modified for nothing more then making money.
    If you dont believe me, just tell me which version is the ONLY one that is not copyrighted.

• SacrificialS said:
    KJV only. All the others are screwed up and modified for nothing more then making money.
    If you dont believe me, just tell me which version is the ONLY one that is not copyrighted.

There are many translations that are not copyrighted, including the one I linked to in my first post. But that doesn't mean that other translations are "screwed up". In fact, it could be argued that the copyright can actually be helpful for preserving the faithfulness of the translation. One is not necessarily better than the other, but God can use them to reach to different people.

• kingofpenguins said:
    SacrificialS said:
    KJV only. All the others are screwed up and modified for nothing more then making money.

There are many translations that are not copyrighted, including the one I linked to in my first post. But that doesn't mean that other translations are "screwed up". In fact, it could be argued that the copyright can actually be helpful for preserving the faithfulness of the translation. One is not necessarily better than the other, but God can use them to reach to different people.

Well, I will agree they all can be used to reach people. but I think that if you think about it. There are over 100 translations, and only 1 of them is right, or in more correct terms, close to right, as it is unlikely we have a perfectly preserved/articulated one as it is merely a compilation of books.

98% of Christians will agree that they feel that the KJV is one of the most accurate but 50%+ dont use it as it is "too hard to read" but I mean, if you truly cared, you would read the one you feel is the most accurate.

If you were to go to do research on anything else, you would not just believe something that has been modified till it became inaccurate, you would find the most correct/accurate and use that.

Why would we be less vigilant on things of God? Like I once Read somewhere

We are more then happy to drop everything we are doing to watch the Superbowl or some other material thing, but when it comes to reading the bible or praying, we drag our feet and give/do only what we MUST.

• To say that other translations aren't "close to right" is a grave mistake. In many ways, they are more accurate in today's English than the KJV is. This is because while God's Word doesn't change, the English language does.

I believe that the KJV was a wonderful tool back when it was first created. However, since then, the English language has changed so much that many things no longer mean the same as they used to. The classic example for this is the word "kill". In the 10 commandments in the KJV, it says "Thou shalt not kill." However, as can be seen in the Old Testament over and over again, killing is not necessarily wrong. What's wrong is murder. Most modern translations translate it as "You shall not murder."

Also, consider this: the Bible in its original Hebrew and Greek was written in the language of the day. It was intentionally designed so that the common man off the street would be able to pick it up and make sense of it. It was not written using archaic forms of the language, as the KJV is today.

• The burned version.
    It's the only one that has facts in it, because its ashes and nonexistent.

• Not only has English language changed, but Bible scholarship has advanced a long way. We have much more reliable/accurate versions of some of the original-language biblical texts now than they did then.

And making up "facts" which aren't true doesn't do much for your case. I can assure you that 98% of Christians in the English-speaking world do not think that the KJV is the most accurate (since it isn't).

The KJV is copyrighted in the UK, so that argument fails. Plenty of other translations aren't, though. But this is fairly irrelevant in any case.

The KJV translation was at least partly politically motivated, and the translators were given certain guidelines to this end.

There are however many translations there are, and none of them are "right" or "wrong" - they're all imperfect, but that doesn't stop God from using them, just as He uses imperfect people.

I primarily use the ESV (and love the ESV Study Bible), but often find myself looking at other translations too.

I would also recommend "How to Read the Bible For All Its Worth" (Fee & Stuart), (though they don't seem to be big fans of the ESV).

And I'd like to recommend this essay by John Piper:
    http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/2004/1534_Good_English_With_Minimal_Translation_Why_Bethlehem_Uses_the_ESV/
    Though a brief summary would be that he prefers the ESV for whatever reasons, but all translations of the Bible are translations of the Bible, and are therefore good and useful.

God bless,
    Dave

• translation of the Bible

none are good in the english except Youngs literal translation....for instance....Jesus said to many go in peace.....WRONG....see the change.....it is really...go into peace.....1 little verse......how big the change.......with a 95.5 accuracy what could you want.........

Methuselah
  • This is a hot button for lots of people...

I like to use Bible Gateway and compare translations.

As for what I own in print: ESV, NIV, and NLT

God bless and keep the faith!

Chris

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.