My thoughts on Boomkat...

• My thoughts on Boomkat...

I've been told off for spamming whilst trying to get a remix heard for that Foals thing, I'm all a bit new to last.fm see. So I've been told to join groups, strike up a repertoire and so on and so forth first.

So, my experience of boomkat:

*Great customer service
    *They do think pretty much everything is the best thing ever, but it's nice to see enthusiasm
    *Introduced me to Claro Intelecto which sound tracked a whole year of my life
    *I got one of those Buddah machines from them, which turned out to be a bit weak, but my baby sister likes it so that's ok
    *Pretty much the only online shop I've used for vinyl
    *Spending an hour or so routing through the samples in the mailout every week is a pleasure, and always introduces me to something new

Now... does anyone want to hear my remix? Or will it result in more slapped wristage?

• I pretty much agree with all of that. If it weren't for Boomkat, I would never have discovered Various Production, Tunng, The Sublime Frequencies albums, Ulrich Schnauss, Colleen, Radical Face, the Morr album label...and so and so on.

There's plenty on there that's not up my street, but that's not the point: they review so well, you always get a sense of the record, and they never pull their punches if they need to.

They're in my eyes like an online John Peel: genuinely open to 'new music' in whatever form that comes, not bound by narrow genres, and always surprising.

In short, I heart Boomkat ;-)

Stashu, I'd say that striking up a report via folks with similar musical tastes (via their 'shoutbox') is often more rewarding on LastFM. Some user groups discussions are very active, but quite a few are pretty quiet. Happy exploring!

• thanks for the tip blossomtoe!

here it is anyway in case anyone is interested

http://www.last.fm/music/Foals/_/Electric+Bloom+%28Stashu+Remix%29

oh and an online john peel is a pretty good comparison

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 jul 2008, 00:46
    the only trouble with boomkat is the amount of money I spend. One of the best ways to collect some of the mot original music out there. Not forgetting
    U-COVER, SILENT BALLET and EARTH MONKEY of course.
    ps yes the list could go on, but boomkat is my fav......

• big ups to their summer sale as well

just got a few goodies for a very good price!

colectivofuturo's latest tweets

• Användare
    • 15 aug 2008, 18:29
    I credit boomkat for helping me
    a. lose my virginity
    b. quitting cigarettes
    c. being more confident with women

COME ON GUYS, WHOS WIT ME?

• Användare
    • 18 dec 2008, 10:55
    boomkat has a nice store front. very creative web technology in play. great prices. they offer a fantastic "wish list" for the customer to come back to and grab new previously desired releases as well. i am VERY impressed with the selection of FLAC formatted works. BOOMKAT is one of the Best online digital format shops when it comes to this. i only shop for this format when i purchase digital music these days. FLAC is a lossless digital format that acts sort of like a .zip file for WAV files. at any rate, a big complaint i have with ALL online shops i've used, incl. Boomkat, is that many times i must research and re-tag releases bought from the store due to misspellings or badly formatted track titles. i have written to BK customer service before and they admit to using a third-party for acquiring the digital releases. as a side note, it is a real shame the music industry community seems to persist to disregard the issue of equality of service, as it relates to the digital music consumer, even more so now that lossless digital technology has been made available to collectors. we do not need the heavy discs in our living space any longer.

• boomkat tends to be a little slow at times, especially the boomkat-player for the track previews sometimes takes aaaaages to load properly.

but other than that... boomkat is the shit!

• philw44 sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 jun 2009, 18:43
    Boomkat is good except for two things which infuriate me:

1) How almost every week about three albums a week are reviewed 'Essential or highly recommended' and nearly every dubstep 12" inch is KILLER or DEEP or MASSIVE. I'm sorry but the majority of the releases are absolutely cack, no fault of Boomkat of course - great releases are a rare commodity.

I realise that at the end of the day this is a business that needs to make money but hate the fact that you feel your reading a salesman pitch. For me, a small description of the genre and sound world would be enough.

I understand that i am not obliged to read the review, but just a little peeved considering that the majority of people who use Boomkat are serious music lovers and don't need any BS telling us how every record is the best ever!

2) Flac releases are £2-£3 more expensive. WHY ?!?! It doesn't cost anymore to make a Flac file than it does an MP3. Whether it is higher quality or not shouldn't be an issue in terms of price, it just feels like they are trying to rip off the customer by claiming it is a higher quality product.

Other than that it is a excellent website for getting independent music and i really like the 14tracks.com idea!

• mr_andy sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 aug 2009, 00:15
    1) given the amount of shit that gets reviewed each week it is not surprising that there are several recommended purchases

2) FLAC takes up more hosting space

• mr_andy sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 aug 2009, 00:17
    PS. that's 'shit' as in 'items', innit

• thepuzl sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 dec 2009, 15:38
    I've become a little disenchanted with Boomkat over the years, for a number of reasons:

They are the biggest hype/trend whores on the planet and have a very cliquey attitude to the items they stock/recommend. Anything on Type is pretty much guarenteed to be an album of the week, along with the million Basic Channel clones out there. So much really good music is skipped on Boomkat and I find a lot of the best releases these days are halfway down the page or not stocked at all.

Prices are higher at Boomkat than all the other independent record stores. These days I tend to browse Boomkat just for the releases and buy from other online stores such as Norman or Juno Records.

They lie when it comes to dispatching music. If you're in the UK and order on Thursday, you will usually receive a dispatch email on the Friday, but not actually receive the records until the following Tuesday. This is 5 days. I once emailed them about it and they admitted that they don't actually send any records out until Monday. Juno and Norman on the other hand dispatch the same day.

I'm not too fussed about their "reviews" because any store which sells record cannot be trusted to give an unbiased opinion and there are always nice samples to listen to so you can make your own mind up anyway. The whole "Killer" and "Essential Purchase!!!!!!1111" spam does get old after the 100,000,000th time you've read it though.

They have fucked up my orders a few times in the past and even expected me to pay postage to return it to them! Fuck right off, Boomkat.

Anyway despite this, it is still a decent store, but since vinyl is dying more and more each day (RIP 1210's!) and other stores just operate so much better now, I personally don't think they'll be able to operate in their current state for much longer. I wonder how much money they make though digital sales...

• Användare
    • 22 jan 2010, 23:21
    they screwed me over. sold me a record then it later appeared out of stock, said they fixed it and then blatantly sent me the wrong fucking record (a generic house ep) with a sticker on saying it was the one i ordered. cheers for the honesty.

• Användare
    • 5 apr 2010, 12:30
    I am quite sick and tired of characters such as this: ü showing up in my tags in digital music purchased from BK. This is only ever an issue with files downloaded from Boomkat. iTunes, Beatport, Emusic, etc all manage to avoid this problem

• subalien sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 nov 2010, 02:16
    I really haven't had any problems at all with Boomkat. I've brought a lot of Flac Albums - with no issues at all. All been Tag right and quality is extremely good.

I think the pricing it quite reasonable. I am curious to know how much the artist gets out of each; sold albums/tracks.

• I agree about the hyping of stuff, but I do think they're a really unique store and at least they're passionate about what they like. And the www.14tracks.com offshoot is total genius.

• Användare
    • 8 mar 2011, 10:26
    <>

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.