Should Australians listen to more Australian music?

• ed_d sa...
    • Användare
    • 31 maj 2005, 14:54

Should Australians listen to more Australian music?

I was just having a look at the country graph for Australia (see here) and I noticed the only Australian band that Australians listened to in the top 50 last week (29/05/05) was Powderfinger and they were at #22. Every other band were from overseas, predominantly from the US or the UK.

There is nothing wrong with listening to music from overseas but does anyone else think it's a shame that the local bands/artists aren't getting much recognition? I know people here like and listen to a fair bit of Australian music, but even on the charts here for last week (see here) we only have a few Australian bands in the top 50.

What's worse is I think Aussies who use Audioscrobbler would probably listen to more Australian music than the average person living here. On top of that commercial radio stations are very limited in playing local music. Does anyone else think Australians should listen to more Australian music?

If you're interested in Australian hip-hop join here -> Aussie Hip-Hop
    Like watching AFL? Then join here -> AFL
    Does commercial radio annoy the hell out of you? Join -> Commercial Radio Drives Me Insane
    Also check out my web site -> http://www.whoopwhoop.com.au
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jun 2005, 05:09
    I don't feel it's sad. Apart from a handfull of groups i'd say the oz music scene is pretty barren. Not to say that most australian groups are shithouse, but a lot are pretty mediocre. and who wants to shell out $30 for an average album or even sit through it for 40 minutes.

Your post there seems a bit 'a current affair', with all that dinky die, true blue, get behind the aussie battler, lebanese fat kids..... and whatnot. Do we owe something to Australian music?

i dub you scrobbler ray martin.

• ed_d sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jun 2005, 05:37
    I just think there are a lot better groups around than Powderfinger here in Australia (which is the highest and only ranked Aus band). I can understand what you are saying too, but the majority of bands/artists on that list are far worse than even average Australian bands/artists IMO.

I don't think Australia gives enough recognition to our local bands, that's all. When a group like Machine Gun Fellatio earns on average 4 cents an hour (see here) it's looking pretty bad. I think most Australians wouldn't even be able to list 10 Australian bands off the top of their head if they were put on the spot.

By the way, it sounds like you know your 'A Current Affair' types shows all too well which is a worry.

:-P

Does commercial radio annoy the hell out of you? Join -> Commercial Radio Drives Me Insane
    • Användare
    • 2 jun 2005, 07:30
    yeah well, machine gun fellatio are a good example or mediocrity. Don't get me wrong, people dressed up as gits and girls taking their tops off passes as entertainment with me, but their more of a novelty act than 'struggling artists'.

but i hear ya, four cents an hour is a bit rough for any sort of entertainer, but that could just be the cruel hand of reality telling them to get 'real jobs'.

(edit - but once again, i hear ya. An Australian band which i consider to actually have some talent, 'augie march', are probably in the same boat, if not worse off.)

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 2 jun 2005, 07:48
    • Richaod sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 jun 2005, 11:29
    You forgot to mention Grinspoon (dodgy too).

If I knew of better Aussie bands, I'd listen to them. As for now, Scandinavian metal really appeals to me.

I listen to a fair share of Silverchair though.

• beej sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 jun 2005, 14:27
    I listen to australian music that doesn't suck.

sadly that's not alot of bands

• Användare
    • 3 jun 2005, 04:22

Re:

Quoth Richaod:
    As for now, Scandinavian metal really appeals to me.

wow! how relevant..

• most australians are just ignorant
    get over it
    it pisses me off sometimes too but for the most i just dont care
    i like aussie stuff but some other stuff is just better
    just being aussie is no reason to like a band
    tis stupid

• Richaod sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 jun 2005, 11:32

Re: Re:

Quoth PhatCam:
    Quoth Richaod:
    As for now, Scandinavian metal really appeals to me.

wow! how relevant..

It's a region.

Which is like a country.

• Användare
    • 8 jul 2005, 10:36

Re: Re: Re:

I'll listen to more Australian music as soon as Australian artists put out more music that isn't crap. I'm all for supporting local economy, but musicians will have to do more than appeal to my sense of patriotism to get me to buy their CDs.

• lowee sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 jul 2005, 05:20
    I agree that more Australian should be listening to Aussie music. I think it has a lot to do with marketing, shit like Good Charlotte, Simple Plan etc. gets forced down everyones throats, whilst great Aussie acts of a similar genre get virtually no commercial airplay.

• ed_d sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 aug 2005, 07:19
    Yeah, it's also known that commercial radio stations here pretty much get bribed to play certain labels music etc as well as music stores getting 'bonuses' for selling the same certain labels music. So I guess it won't really stop too soon and until some local bands get put on major labels, they won't be exposed as much.

• shan207 sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 aug 2005, 07:21
    the reason machine gun fellatio earn so little is because they're a terrible, terrible band. there is a whole heap of great australian music out there - the grates, the spark, snowman, faker, the cops, etc etc. i'm more excited about our scene now than i ever have been.

• ed_d sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 aug 2005, 16:31
    I'm not saying MGF are a good band, but when they sell the amounts of records they do and get as much attention as they have been, it's not good signs for any musicians in Australia that they can't make much money out of selling music.

Anyway, music, just like any art, is about passion and wanting to do it, it's not about selling out.

• I recently just returned from Australia where i was touring with my band and have to say that although i don't know a great deal of aussie bands the quality of the bands that we played with for the month we were over was far superior to that of the bands we play with in the UK, as was the quality of the regional press and radio. Something that doesn't exist in the UK.

if i couold emigrate, i'd be there in a shot!!

you needa busload of faith to get by
    ~ lou reed
    • lowee sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 dec 2005, 12:59
    Good to hear you enjoyed your time in Australia. What band do you play with?

• WoZzLe sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 dec 2005, 21:19
    End of Fashion
    Wolfmother
    Grinspoon
    Gyroscope
    Kisschasy
    Little Birdy
    67 Special
    After the Fall
    Cog
    The Cant's

There is 10 "Alternative" bands just off the top of my head.

Maybe if all you nay Sayers got your heads out of commercial radio and listened to jjj for just a week I promise, you will never go back!

• ed_d sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 dec 2005, 23:56
    I don't know about the Triple J bit. I listen to it and for me, it is the best radio station available but it still annoys me at times and I'd rather listen to my own selection of music. Also not everyone is going to like the same type of music as well, but sure, if you listen to commercial stations and think they're crap, then give it a go.

• Användare
    • 2 jan 2006, 05:30
    I think one of the reasons why we don't have as many good bands anymore (I still think that we have a fare share of good bands) is because a lot of these bands are getting picked up after only a year or so of playing on the road and so they don't really know what they're doing yet. Bands like The Oils and Powderfinger and The Waifs had been playing for years in pubs before they were picked up.

Also I don't think there is enough of a stimulating community in Australia. Australian people are just not competitive enough to take great leaps and put heaps of intencity in their work. It's great that we're laid back but if you go to L.A. a ten year old will be playing the drums on the streets better than any adult drummers in Australia.

Still if you listen to Robbie Buck's Home and Hosed segment on Triple J, there is quite a bit of promise.

• piiiia sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 jan 2006, 05:07
    hei. i'm really far from Australia (from Estonia) but I listen to Australian music. i love architecture in helsinki. don't you?

murphy was an optimist ...
    • ed_d sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jan 2006, 04:45

Re:

Quoth toynbee:
    Also I don't think there is enough of a stimulating community in Australia. Australian people are just not competitive enough to take great leaps and put heaps of intencity in their work. It's great that we're laid back but if you go to L.A. a ten year old will be playing the drums on the streets better than any adult drummers in Australia.

I don't know about that. I reckon it's the opposite compared to places like the US. Australia seems to be right into it's music and have quite a few artists and movements pushing each other along. The only thing (in terms of music) which isn't too good with Australia is it's population and positioning on the globe. Australia works pretty hard for it's music IMO.

• Användare
    • 11 jan 2006, 04:33
    We have 1/15th the population of the US and 1/3rd the population of the UK. Given that, it's unrealistic to expect we're going to have the same number of good acts. Especially since the smaller market means both less talented people to choose from, and a smaller market to gain enough of an audience to make a living from it.

That said, I reckon we do just fine given our size. I count 7 Australian artists out of the top 50 on my profile. That's well and truly batting above the average. Maybe people who aren't finding Australian music to listen to aren't trying enough genres, or not looking back far enough? I think there's enough good Aussie music out there that everyone should be able to find some they like if they look for it.

As for why you should care about Australian music: you don't have to. I never used to, when I thought along the same lines as others have said. The "why should I care where music comes from" attitude. Then I realised that these artists were singing songs that came from an Australian point of view, which I believe makes them different to artists from North America or Europe. Australia is where I live, and Australians are who I interact with on a daily basis, so having some Australian music that shares that common experience is important to me. So I still don't listen to artists just because they're Australian, but I do listen to them because they can sing about things in ways that no Yank or Pom ever could.

Then again, I like Australian cinema too, but judging by the box office figures nobody else does. Maybe I'm just getting sentimental and old.

• Just for the record. Less than 12 months since they broke up, and MGF members are all working day-jobs and not struggling, but definitely not rich. THey were never making money. Their tours often cost them more than they made.

I love them, but for what they are. Kingsmill didn't like them, so they fizzled out on the Js and had no where else to really get played.

Interesting trivia for all you anti-MGFers: No Aphrodesiac by the Whitlams - an MGF song. They were capable of, and did make a lot of fucking excellent songs - but Mutha Fukka is not a good thing to judge them by.

If nothing else, their inhibition was much needed in the AUssie scene. Just my opinion as a totally bias friend of fellatio

• Användare
    • 3 mar 2006, 15:25

Re:

Quoth DontLetsStart
    As for why you should care about Australian music: you don't have to. I never used to, when I thought along the same lines as others have said. The "why should I care where music comes from" attitude. Then I realised that these artists were singing songs that came from an Australian point of view, which I believe makes them different to artists from North America or Europe. Australia is where I live, and Australians are who I interact with on a daily basis, so having some Australian music that shares that common experience is important to me. So I still don't listen to artists just because they're Australian, but I do listen to them because they can sing about things in ways that no Yank or Pom ever could.

I actually never realised that with Aussie music...you have a really good point there. Most Australian artists, at least the ones not on the radio, sing about things that Aussie's can relate to, which is great, and I think the radio should support that. But on the other hand, I think it's the reason why it's not so appealing overseas (Same goes for Aussie movies, but that's another story).

I admit, I don't listen to a lot of Aussie artists, mainly because the music that some of them produce, aren't usually what I listen to, or I can't relate to it, for the most part. But that's not just Aussie music, it's all sorts of music. If I can't relate to it, or I don't particularly like it, I wont listen to it.

It shouldn't matter where music comes from, because if you enjoy it, then why not listen to it, if it's not an Aussie artist? Admitedly, only a tiny part of oz music, makes up the bulk of my music collection.

• shan207 sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 mar 2006, 03:45
    emotions are a pretty universal thing, though.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.