so what aussie bands do aussies with taste listen to?

• LachyC sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 7 maj 2005, 12:57
    eh?!? well i guess my girlfriend is in broken hill for a few weeks, nothing wrong will a little experimentation

• beej sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2005, 04:54

Re:

Quoth LachyC:
    eh?!? well i guess my girlfriend is in broken hill for a few weeks, nothing wrong will a little experimentation

lol broken hill.

• cotel sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 maj 2005, 11:36
    Heyho. I'm new. I'm BIG on Machine Gun Fellatio (and member of theunsentletter, if anyone else here is. I'm Llama) Also Regurgitator, which got me into real music, Spiderbait, TISM, Architecture In Helsinki, and others which I can't be bothered typing in here.

My Audioscrobbler probably doesn't support my claims, but it should in the coming weeks.

It's good to see there ARE some people in Australia that listen to decent music.

• Richaod sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 maj 2005, 12:09
    Everything that's on my profile!

But seriously, I'm addicted to melodic death metal - stuff like In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, etc. Also stuff like Metallica, Slayer, Black Sabbath, and Dio. And for a complete contrast, Silverchair.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 maj 2005, 13:36

Re:

Quoth Richaod:
    melodic death metal

Oxymoron, isn't it?
    What is it with deatht metal? from my experience, the people that listen to this crap are closet christians (nothing wrong with christians, just christians who wear all black)who play dungens and dragons and camp out to see star wars movies.

open your eyes.

(edit- now, that seems a little harsh, but it's for your own good)

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 21 maj 2005, 13:39
  • ah man, i have a soft spot for boys who play the guitar. esp. the indie-listenin metal-hatin ones.

just like a dinosaur act.
    • Richaod sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 maj 2005, 11:51

Re: Re:

Quoth PhatCam:
    Quoth Richaod:
    melodic death metal

Oxymoron, isn't it?
    What is it with deatht metal? from my experience, the people that listen to this crap are closet christians (nothing wrong with christians, just christians who wear all black)who play dungens and dragons and camp out to see star wars movies.

open your eyes.

(edit- now, that seems a little harsh, but it's for your own good)

Considering the fact that you've probably never heard any Gothenburg-style death metal, I'll explain.

Basically, what every single death-metal hater fails to understand about the genre is that with 95% of its bands (excluding really brutal stuff like Cannibal Corpse and Nile, which is crap), the emphasis is completely on the instrumental work and not the vocals. In Flames, Children Of Bodom etc. are some of melodic death's most well-known bands, and the vocals are barely classifiable as death; usually semi-random screaming at worst, but the twin-guitar work and solos more than make up for it. Basically, the entire genre is like Iron Maiden with more direction and fairly unnecessary vocals, although the reason for such a style is often because there are two or more guitars playing at the same time. It's really quite impossible to have that much continuous harmony. I have no idea what kind of music you listen to, but if it's anything melodic, then listen to the first 30 seconds of an In Flames song (Embody The Invisible, Only For The Weak, Jotun in particular) and you'll understand why they're likeable. Note: their last two albums don't have much worth listening to.

Good, developmental grindcore is an oxymoron though.

Oh, and I'm practically anti-religion, although certainly not violently, I just think truth is of importance. "Secular morality" is quite a concept, and I think that people aren't very smart if they can't define their own sense of morals.

Although religion is completely unrelated to this topic.

• Användare
    • 23 maj 2005, 05:15

Re:

oh, to each his own and all that jazz. I must have come home to kick the dog the other day.

Quoth greentealeaf:
    ah man, i have a soft spot for boys who play the guitar. esp. the indie-listenin metal-hatin ones.

where have you been all my life?

• LachyC sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 23 maj 2005, 09:08

Re: Re: Re:

Quoth Richaod:
    Considering the fact that you've probably never heard any Gothenburg-style death metal, I'll explain.

Basically, what every single death-metal hater fails to understand about the genre is that with 95% of its bands (excluding really brutal stuff like Cannibal Corpse and Nile, which is crap), the emphasis is completely on the instrumental work and not the vocals. In Flames, Children Of Bodom etc. are some of melodic death's most well-known bands, and the vocals are barely classifiable as death; usually semi-random screaming at worst, but the twin-guitar work and solos more than make up for it. Basically, the entire genre is like Iron Maiden with more direction and fairly unnecessary vocals, although the reason for such a style is often because there are two or more guitars playing at the same time. It's really quite impossible to have that much continuous harmony. I have no idea what kind of music you listen to, but if it's anything melodic, then listen to the first 30 seconds of an In Flames song (Embody The Invisible, Only For The Weak, Jotun in particular) and you'll understand why they're likeable. Note: their last two albums don't have much worth listening to.

Oh, and I'm practically anti-religion, although certainly not violently, I just think truth is of importance. "Secular morality" is quite a concept, and I think that people aren't very smart if they can't define their own sense of morals.

• Användare
    • 23 maj 2005, 20:49

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quoth LachyC:
    Quoth Richaod:

• Richaod sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 maj 2005, 06:32
    Oh, I forgot to note the presence of "Aussie Bands" in the title of the thread. :p

That'd be most of the non-metal I listen to - Silverchair, and on occasion, The Cat Empire, The Dissociatives and a bit of The John Butler Trio.

and lachyc's statement was teh random.

• beej sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 maj 2005, 07:29

Re:

Quoth Richaod:
    Oh, I forgot to note the presence of "Aussie Bands" in the title of the thread. :p

That'd be most of the non-metal I listen to - Silverchair, and on occasion, The Cat Empire, The Dissociatives and a bit of The John Butler Trio.

you're better off sticking off to the nightwish and symphony-x because all those bands are terrible

• Richaod sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 maj 2005, 12:40

Re: Re:

Quoth beej:
    Quoth Richaod:

you're better off sticking off to the nightwish and symphony-x because all those bands are terrible

Diorama owns everything.

I really only like those bands (excluding Silverchair) for their originality though - they have a couple of good songs here and there, but not much consistency.

The only aussie metal band I know of is Devolved, who have been quoted as being really bad. So blah.

• cotel sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 jun 2005, 03:37
    Diorama is the only Silverchair album I can listen to, apart from their live CD/DVD combo.

• Richaod sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 jun 2005, 11:34

Re:

Quoth cotel:
    Diorama is the only Silverchair album I can listen to, apart from their live CD/DVD combo.

You'd at least like Emotion Sickness and Paint Pastel Princess from Neon Ballroom, they're good.

• Användare
    • 6 jun 2005, 16:18
    i'd like it if it was 'emoticon sickness'. there aren't enough computer terms in songs

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 6 jun 2005, 16:19
    • Användare
    • 25 jun 2005, 15:39
    Augie March
    Dirty Three
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    The Avalanches
    Architecture in Helsinki (maybe)

...Aaaaand that's a wrap, folks.

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 25 jun 2005, 15:44
  • Art of Fighting
    Augie March
    Something For Kate (more so their older stuff, but eh)
    Eskimo Joe
    Sarah Blasko
    Matt Handley/Pollyanna
    Custard!

• Användare
    • 10 aug 2005, 15:21
    What a rollercoaster ride it's been, folks...
    And why is everyone so indifferent about Architecture In Helsinki? I can understand why, but still...

Architecture In Helsinki
    Sarah Blasko
    Little Birdy
    The Presets
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Art of Fighting
    New Buffalo
    78 Saab
    Decoder Ring
    and theredsunband and Rocket Science are quite not horrible, also.
    I listen to Triple J. Does it show?
    And I'll also probably get me an Augie March album.
    Truly, is my mastery of the English language supreme.

• Just look at my profile! thats just...TASTE!

Architecture In Helsinki = GAY

• I dont like many aussie bands at the moment.
    Jet have just...ruined everything
    SOS fly TV

• Howling Bells (are they Australian?), Youth Group and Architecture in Helsinki are doing pretty alright internationally at the moment. Even don't mind their music.

for the death/black metal fans: Naxzuul, sadistik exekution

Rowland S. Howard (and ofcourse the birthday party)

just to name a few

• Architecture in Helsinki Can Just About Suck My Cock

• so what aussie bands do aussies with taste listen to?

I wouldn't know as I applied to this group but got a big fat NO. Well I assume that as I didn't get a YES. I applied and wasn't accepted so I'm assuming my music taste sucks.

• ed_d sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 mar 2006, 05:48
    It obviously does according to Tara. It doesn't seem too bad to me apart from a few artists which make me cringe. Overall though I wouldn't say you had bad taste in music.

If you're interested in Australian hip-hop join here -> Aussie Hip-Hop
    Like watching AFL? Then join here -> AFL
    Does commercial radio annoy the hell out of you? Join -> Commercial Radio Drives Me Insane
    Also check out my web site -> http://www.whoopwhoop.com.au
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.