Last.fm Boffin - Local Radio Tech Demo [0.0.4 released]

 
    • mxcl sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 mar 2009, 20:45

    Last.fm Boffin - Local Radio Tech Demo [0.0.4 released]

    Scroll down for new releases and download links!

    May I restate that this is a demo? Thanks :) This software isn't an indication of Last.fm's product direction or anything like that. Well sorta... That's why we're after your feedback.

    Boffin is Last.fm radio, for your local music. Fire it up, select your music directories, and let it roll for a while. Eventually you'll get a tag cloud like this:



    The cloud represents your music collection coupled with Last.fm tag data. Select a few, maybe rock and female vocalists:



    Click play! Boffin will scrobble via the official Last.fm client.

    You can even resolve xspfs:



    Try this one: http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/1.0/tag/rock/toptracks.xspf

    But you'll need to download Boffin first!

    Windows: http://cdn.last.fm/client/Boffin-0.0.7.msi [1]
    Mac: http://cdn.last.fm/client/Boffin-0.0.4.dmg [2]
    Source: http://cdn.last.fm/client/boffin-0.0.4.tar.bz2 [3]

    Let us know what we can do to improve it.

    Max

    ps For the tracks in the directories you choose, we ask for the global tags from Last.fm. This means that by using Boffin you are sending your track metadata to Last.fm. Now, having said this, we don't store this data, it is merely a service that looks at the track data submitted and gives back a whopping great list of tags so we can generate the above cloud. But anyway, most of you who scrobble have already submitted all this information :P

    [1] mac and source builds of 0.0.5 on the way.

    [2] It seems we don't support Tiger, I'll rectify this next release. It is however a universal binary, so PPC Leopard installs will work.

    [3] Mash it up and add cool stuff and send us patches!

    Redigerad av mxcl den 11 mar 2009, 19:06
    • maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 mar 2009, 21:55
    Now this is interesting, trying it out!

    • maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 mar 2009, 22:38
    First issue is no sound is heard after a few skips and I have to restart. The song selection seems ok so far anyway.

    • mdotbb sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 mar 2009, 22:44
    I've been waiting a long time for something like this (from Last.fm)! Trying it out now...

    • mdotbb sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 mar 2009, 22:48

    no tags?

    What's the tag source? It scanned my music location, but shows no tags have been found.

    • dougma sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 mar 2009, 22:49
    maz35 said:
    First issue is no sound is heard after a few skips and I have to restart. The song selection seems ok so far anyway.


    Hi Maz35,

    Thanks for trying it out! Are you on Windows?

    We use Qt's Phonon system which is a thin layer over Microsoft's Directshow. And, surprisingly, Directshow has problems with a lot of MP3's out there.

    But, we've found a 3rd party Directshow filter which you can install which makes them work!

    Until I get the installer working, it's going to be a bit of a hassle, but give it a shot:

    1. Download http://cdn.last.fm/client/WMFDemux.zip
    2. Put the WMFDemux.dll somewhere (like the Boffin directory)
    3. As an admin, at a command prompt: regsvr32 WMFDemux.dll
    4. Give Boffin another spin.

    You can unregister that dll with: regsvr32 /u WMFDemux.dll

    cheers,
    doug.

    • mxcl sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 mar 2009, 22:51
    Yeah it's likely the problem with it stopping is an MP3 Windows' codec system doesn't like. See Doug's post above. If it is this problem, skipping again should get a track that works.

    We're planning to release an update soon that addresses this. Boffin has auto-update built in.

    • dougma sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 mar 2009, 22:52

    Re: no tags?

    mdotbb said:
    What's the tag source? It scanned my music location, but shows no tags have been found.


    Hi mdotbb,

    It should download the tags from last.fm as it scans...

    Are you on Windows? Did you permit it to access the net? Have you trying re-running Boffin?

    doug.

    mxcl says: oh yeah, also Internet connection required for the scan step.

    Redigerad av mxcl den 3 mar 2009, 22:53
    • mxcl sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 mar 2009, 22:52

    Re: no tags?

    mdotbb said:
    What's the tag source? It scanned my music location, but shows no tags have been found.


    Currently we only support MP3. But we should be able to support most tag and music formats. Although I can't promise a timeline.

    There is a bug where the tag cloud doesn't display unless you restart Boffin. So possibly you can try that.

    • mdotbb sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 mar 2009, 23:00

    Apple Losless

    Ah, my collection is Apple Lossless. Heartbroken.

    • mxcl sa...
    • Alumni
    • 3 mar 2009, 23:06
    I'll do my best to get you support for that soon. It's all AAC init? Apple Lossless?

    • DDTT sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 mar 2009, 23:07
    XP Pro SP3 here
    I get the " failed to initialize properly 0xc0000005" error when I go to run it. Tried installing the Visual C files, but the installation just hangs, the extraction window closes, and MSIEXEC sits idly in task manager.

    • mdotbb sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 mar 2009, 23:20
    mxcl said:
    I'll do my best to get you support for that soon. It's all AAC init? Apple Lossless?


    That would be great. Thanks! They are all Apple Lossless (.m4a).

    • maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 mar 2009, 23:59
    dougma said:
    maz35 said:
    First issue is no sound is heard after a few skips and I have to restart. The song selection seems ok so far anyway.


    Hi Maz35,

    Thanks for trying it out! Are you on Windows?

    We use Qt's Phonon system which is a thin layer over Microsoft's Directshow. And, surprisingly, Directshow has problems with a lot of MP3's out there.

    But, we've found a 3rd party Directshow filter which you can install which makes them work!

    Until I get the installer working, it's going to be a bit of a hassle, but give it a shot:

    1. Download http://cdn.last.fm/client/WMFDemux.zip
    2. Put the WMFDemux.dll somewhere (like the Boffin directory)
    3. As an admin, at a command prompt: regsvr32 WMFDemux.dll
    4. Give Boffin another spin.

    You can unregister that dll with: regsvr32 /u WMFDemux.dll

    cheers,
    doug.

    yes I'm on window vista, should have mentioned that.

    I will try that dll file however...

    Yeah it's likely the problem with it stopping is an MP3 Windows' codec system doesn't like. See Doug's post above. If it is this problem, skipping again should get a track that works.
    This doesn't seem to be the issue as once I get one silent file all subsequent tracks are also silent.

  • I am in love with the scanner screen

    Seriously, am I the only one who just sat and watched it go by?
    Cute as :-)

    • RJ sa...
    • Alumni
    • 4 mar 2009, 00:48
    My 80s tag in Boffin is awesome. Good work chaps.

    Information wants to be beer.
  • Crash

    If you want to make it crash on a mac, hit spacebar while it is scanning your music :)
    (I do realise this is only a demo, I just thought I'd let you know)
    I had my window focus on Boffin instead of Safari accidentally!

    oooh, It's good though!

    • maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 mar 2009, 01:04
    Ok I tried the dll file but I still get the same problem.


    I agree on the scanner screen. That must be the first scanner screen thats actually nice to watch ever :P

    • dougma sa...
    • Alumni
    • 4 mar 2009, 01:15
    maz35 said:
    Ok I tried the dll file but I still get the same problem.


    :(

    Maybe the log will reveal something; see the Tools menu.

    You can email the log to me if you like: doug@last.fm

    • akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 mar 2009, 07:00
    Nice app, will try it out...

    • rubzn sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 mar 2009, 08:03
    AWESOME!

    • maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 mar 2009, 09:20
    dougma said:
    maz35 said:
    Ok I tried the dll file but I still get the same problem.


    :(

    Maybe the log will reveal something; see the Tools menu.

    You can email the log to me if you like: doug@last.fm




    Done!

    Another thing I noticed is boffin wont exit properly and hogs resources if this problem is encountered. I have to end it via the task manager.

  • Nice One... Good idea, I really like it!

    As a potential improvement down the line, it appears that at the moment selecting multiple tags provides an OR outcome (i.e. Boffin will play tracks tagged with '90s' OR 'Pop'. What would be really useful would be the ability to make it an AND (i.e. Boffin will play tracks that are tagged with '90s' AND 'Pop'.)

  • crash on macos x

    works fine when starting it from mounted DMG, but crashes when copied to /Applications



    Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtOpenGL.framework/Versions/4/QtOpenGL
    Referenced from: /Applications/Boffin.app/Contents/MacOS/boffin
    Reason: image not found

    • maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 mar 2009, 13:49
    Like I said to doug via email, for some reason its not loading up at all for me now. I see the process in task manager but no program loads up. Shame as it seems a really cool app.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.