Last.fm Desktop Application Beta (2012)

• Arthaey sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 feb 2012, 00:40
    cerisier said:
    I'm not sure if this was posted, but every time I skip a track while playing my radio the audio stops, yet the app looks like it's playing a track. To get it to work I have to press pause and then play. Using Mac OS X Lion.

I just installed v2.1.1.4 on my Mac (Lion, 10.7.2) for the first time. I went to My Mix Radio and it said it was playing, but the "current time" for the song stayed stuck at 0:00 and no music played.

Because of the comment above, I tried pausing and restarting the track, and lo and behold, it started playing.

So you definitely have a bug here, but at least there's an easy workaround.

Edit: Nevermind, the "easy workaround" isn't going to be that useful. I have to pause/restart every song, not just the first one when I select a radio station. That's annoying enough that I'm going to uninstall this beta and go back to the old scrobbler for now.

Also, tracks aren't actually being scrobbled to my profile, despite it being configured to do so.

--
    AA
    • Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 20 feb 2012, 01:52
    I love the look of the new client. I think having the volume control down the bottom is fine. People will get used to it! I haven't tried scrobbling with it yet but already have a few things to mention:

(1) Minor typo in the Windows install (using Windows XP). It doesn't say what the checkbox does, although I was able to guess. Not sure if it should still say 2006 either: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9350/lastfminstall.png

(2) At the end of the tour, it said "we've also finished importing your listening history and have added it to your Last.fm profile". I'm not a new user so I'm a bit confused about what this means. It says this every time I take the tour.

(3) The friends on the Friends page take up a lot of room. Only 6 or so of my friends are scrobbling now, and even 6 don't fit vertically on the screen. Perhaps you could use 2 columns when the program is maximised.

(4) Under Track & Artist info: when the program is maximised, you have space to load more similar artists.

(5) On the Now Playing page, "Open Windows Media Player", "Open Foobar" etc. don't do anything.

• Bloopy said:
    (2) At the end of the tour, it said "we've also finished importing your listening history and have added it to your Last.fm profile". I'm not a new user so I'm a bit confused about what this means. It says this every time I take the tour.
    Yeah I stumbled across that as well when I first saw it.

Another smallish issue I just noticed: when you start a station with an rql link (like from Combo.fm eg), the client doesn't show any name, neither in the "listening now" tab, nor in the recent stations list. I guess if displaying the source stations isn't possible or desired there should be at least some identifier, maybe "a custom radio" or so.

• arcania sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 feb 2012, 15:35
    I think I preferred the old tagging window, where i could also see how people tagged a song/artist/album. It was pretty convenient, having the list of my own tags on the one side and people's tags on the other.

Is there a chance for something like that to be on the new beta version?

PS: Why making a centralized topic for feedback on this beta version while we have a whole forum to post? :)

• I like the new notifications bar that appears. Gives more detailed info then the old scrobbler. Also the scrobbler is finding tracks on my iPod a lot quicker than before. The UI is very nice and clean and easy to read. However the radio didn't autoplay. I had to hit the pause button which to get the loaded track to play.

EDIT: The scrobble info is incorrect as well. A majority of the artist in the "my mix" radio I have listened to will say I've never listened to them at all. On one occasion so far a track did autoplay when skipping through tracks.

EDIT 2: Every time the scrobbler opens a window opens automatically asking where the Spotify app is located. I don't use Spotify nor do I have the app on my Mac (I'm running OS X Lion 10.7.3).

• snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 20 feb 2012, 23:55
    With respect to your first edit, I think that the lack of play information (or play information saying "no plays") is due to other issues.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • Hum... what happened to the stop button in the radio? Replacing it with a pause button is cool but I would like to be able to stop the radio, instead of pausing a song and still keep the scrobbler open. Also, I suggest changing the text for the play info. Makes no sense to be told I've listened to a certain artist 0 times, "but not this track". For example I don't like scrobbling a band like Circa Survive for the first time ever and seeing my scrobbler say "You've listened to Circa Survive 0 times, but not this track".

EDIT: The scrobble length seems to jump around. I like to have my scrobble mark at 100%. However it appears even with it set to 100% the scrobbler is randomly jumping around and deciding to scrobble at different points in a track. I can see the scrobble icon move when tracks change.

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 21 feb 2012, 04:24
    "Popular tags" doesn't always display the 5 most popular tags. edit: never mind, realised it's the tags for the track, and the artist tags are further down the page.

hopesdead said:
    EDIT: The scrobble length seems to jump around. I like to have my scrobble mark at 100%. However it appears even with it set to 100% the scrobbler is randomly jumping around and deciding to scrobble at different points in a track. I can see the scrobble icon move when tracks change.
    I can see it jump around too, but I think it's by design. If the track is longer than 4:00, then at 100% the icon displays at the 4 minute mark. I guess 4 is the new maximum (it used to be 6). In other words, when using 100%, any song over 4 min will scrobble at 4:00. When using 50%, any song over 8 min will scrobble at 4:00. The icon seems to turn red at 3:53 sometimes, which is odd.

Redigerad av Bloopy den 6 mar 2012, 21:48
    • hitch24 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 feb 2012, 07:37
    I like the new Last.fm Desktop Application Beta (2012), looks nice and I love the Pause button ;) but still missing my loved tracks!!!!!
    However I've subscribed again for a few month to last.fm since the loved tracks disaster, just to check out the new scrobbler....still hoping my loved tracks and playlists are coming back, in the meantime I am listening to them in Chrome with Last.fm free music player, but its not the same... :(

• Dock Icon (OS X Lion 10.7.3)

When starting iTunes while Last.fm is open, the dock icon begins to jump, then a second Last.fm dock icon appears and begins to jump, soon afterwards a third dock icon is there and jumps too. When iTunes finished starting the two superfluous icons disappear again.

As others already mentioned, turning of the dock icon would be very handy.

• Anyone having problems scrobbling an iPod/iPhone in Windows (PC) should rename the folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Last.fm\spldrivers

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Last.fm\sqldrivers

• OSX client.
    Random crashes on song change.
    After starting a station or skipping a song, it stops playing. Requires to press Pause and then Play.

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 feb 2012, 13:54
    hopesdead said:

your setting or 5 mins (iirc) whichever comes sooner.

• Danihell sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 feb 2012, 13:56
    Knapster01 said:
    Anyone having problems scrobbling an iPod/iPhone in Windows (PC) should rename the folder:

to

I did this and I'm still having the same problem: syncing the iPod makes the Last.fm crash notice appear, then it fails to send a crash report (the option to send crash reports isn't available in the options menu). My iPod isn't listed in "Devices", either.

My precious plays! But to be fair, the last app hadn't scrobbled my iPod for about a year. So here's hoping this one will eventually work.

• Oh, and also add that old Tag cloud and it's icon to the sidebar.

• @danihell: Can you let us know your model of iPod please?

• Regarding the "stuck" track in the app, this seems to happen if I pause my iTunes and come back to it. The app doesn't seem to recognize I'm playing a track again.

ETA: Actually, it does this sometimes even if I just manually switch to a different song via iTunes.

"Not even Crowded House gets a 90/10 split."
    Redigerad av queendork den 21 feb 2012, 22:58
  • fatalyti said:
    - It doesn't scrobble any track using Windows XP SP3.

Another Windows XP SP3 user here - this is still an issue.

Otherwise I love this new app and can't wait for the problem to be fixed. :)

• Danihell said:
    Knapster01 said:
    Anyone having problems scrobbling an iPod/iPhone in Windows (PC) should rename the folder:

to

I did this and I'm still having the same problem: syncing the iPod makes the Last.fm crash notice appear, then it fails to send a crash report (the option to send crash reports isn't available in the options menu). My iPod isn't listed in "Devices", either.

My precious plays! But to be fair, the last app hadn't scrobbled my iPod for about a year. So here's hoping this one will eventually work.

Not working for me either after renaming directory the log is giving me:

==========================================================================lastfm
    [120221 22:48:51] unicorn::CoreApplication::init() Introducing "iPodScrobbler 2"
    [120221 22:48:51] unicorn::CoreApplication::init() Directed by Unknown
    [120221 22:48:51] main() Twiddling device: "000A2700163545F8"
    [120221 22:48:51] ITunesComWrapper::initialiseCom()
    Calling CoInitializeEx...

Calling CoCreateInstance...

Value of iTunes ptr: 0022E2E4

[120221 22:48:51] logException() FATAL ERROR: "No iPod library found"

playcounts.db does now exist...

my ipod is an old 5th generation video

• DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 feb 2012, 01:33
    I just installed the beta client. It looks good. Everything went well for the first two tracks I played. Things looked good for the 3rd track, however, the client froze on that 3rd track. This track was not scrobbled, nor were any tracks played after that one. The client display was frozen on that 3rd track as if were still playing. Stopping and restarting the client had no effect. Restarting Windows did appear to reset the client and so far it appears to be working.

EDIT: After restarting Windows, the client scrobbled the track it was frozen on.

Windows 7 64 bit/iTunes 10.5.3.3

Music, like language, is universal.
    • DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 feb 2012, 01:56
    One thing I do not like, something carried over from the stable version, is that the last track played on iTunes does not get scrobbled when it finishes playing. You have to either start another track or wait until your next listening session for that last track to get scrobbled.

One feature dropped from the last version of the client is the reconnect button which would immediately scrobble the last track (at least I haven't found this functionality in the beta client yet).

• DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 feb 2012, 11:31
    Knapster01 said:

to

I can't get the beta client to scrobble my iPod. I made the change as you stated, but no go. My iPod is not listed on the Devices screen.

Windows 7 64 bit/iTunes 10.5.3.3
    1st Gen 1Pod Touch iOs 3.1.3

EDIT: Several minutes after making this post, I got a pop-up asking me if I wanted to scrobble from the (I assume) attached iPod. The iPod is identified with a long hex string. I then got a message that no tracks were found to scrobble on my iPod, although I had just played almost 40 tracks. Are these scrobbles now lost?

Edit 2: I played another 9 tracks on my iPod to see what would happen and nothing happened - nothing scrobbled.

Edit 3: I played a track from my iPod while it was connected to my computer. As soon as the track started, the most recent 7 tracks of the most recent iPod listening session of 9 tracks were scrobbled. The first two tracks and the 39 tracks of the earlier listening session are nowhere to be seen.

Redigerad av DoctorT den 22 feb 2012, 15:47
    • Danihell sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 feb 2012, 13:32
    Knapster01 said:
    @danihell: Can you let us know your model of iPod please?

Same as xxzantrix - the 5th gen video.

I also just had the same issue with the app sticking on a paused song. Restarted the app and started a new song, but the app didn't recognise any song being played and scrobbled the previous (paused) track instead. Restarted iTunes to get it working again.

• Some iPods update playcounts differently, so we'll have to investigate. Thanks for getting back to us xxzantrix, Danihell + DoctorT with the extra info.

• After changing the folder name, the app now recognizes my device and gives me the scrobble prompt. However, despite submitting the scrobbles and receiving the confirmation message from the app, the scrobbles haven't been pushed to my profile.

"Not even Crowded House gets a 90/10 split."
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.