Last.fm Desktop Application Beta (2012)

• I have just installed it (Windows version) and I have problem with extremally long breaks between songs when listening to the radio. I have to wait a few minutes (yes, minutes, not seconds) when I start the radio and when one song ends and the next one is to begin. I listened to the radio today from the old client and it worked fine. My Internet connection is not extremally fast but not extremally slow too and it was more than enough to listen to the old radio.

It seems a bit like it had to download the whole song before playing, can this be a reason? Is it necessary? This way listening to the radio is no fun and I think I will stick to the old client as long as possible.

And one more thing. Perhaps I'm stupid... but where is the "stop" button? Am I supposed to be listening to the radio for the rest of my life? ;)

As for scrobbling from my foobar - it works fine. But I think I'm coming back to the old version and I'll wait for a next update.

• Windows version - fails to detect ANY Ipod, Iphone, Crashes every time I connect one

I tried the beta for about a week before switching back to the last full release. Will try it again on a spare computer maybe.

I like the new interface and hope the release version will be more useable. Here are my details.

Itunes: v. 10.6.1.7
    Devices: Iphone 4; Ipod 5th Gen 160GB; Ipod Classic (6th gen) 160

Never any problems with these devices, Itunes, internet connectivity, etc, other than this. My music library consists of about 750GB, maybe more.

Symptoms - upon connection of any Apple device, Last.fm crashes then indicates that the crash feedback failed to be sent. Beta testing not particularly helpful when the crash report can't be sent, eh?

Thanks for the effort. I look forward to the next iteration.

Musical Bug Repellant
    http://www.last.fm/group/Music+For+Driving+Away+Unwanted+Guests

• QOAL sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 apr 2012, 13:28
    Hmm just installed this and it didn't find my winamp install location, well at least attempt to check for it's location. It just dumped the plugin in the default winamp install location.
    So that's an easy fix, just copy the relevant code from the NSIS winamp plugin example.

Looking at the normal what you're currently scrobbling screen:

"Scrobbling from..." surely : instead of ... ?
    Maybe indent the line with the client on too? (unless it can span both?)

It doesn't show the total track length, unlike the radio page, at least with winamp.

The grey progress bar is pretty generic looking. Maybe if it was a darker grey, or coloured. (It looks bleak right now. Don't be scared gradients with more than two points)
    Really it just looks sparse, coupled with the grey area above.

I can also understand the desire to use the audioscrobbler logo, but it seems a little out of place being used as a Scrobbled indicator.

Why oh why are the love/tag etc icons in the middle of the song info? Seriously?
    (I'm not keen on their look either)

The view menu should probably indicate which page you're actually viewing.

Loss the rounded corners on the persons rank text, they're not anti-aliased, at least for me and thus look nasty. (Not even the same rounding visually on each corner :S)

No option to disable scrobbling now?

Oh and I preferred the old icons, and I'm disappointed in the lack of icon colour choice too. (At least the choice of red and black would be nice)

Double clicking the systray icon doesn't minimise the window.

Probably should detect what media players are actually installed, I don't have itunes and yet it shows up first on the screen when you're not playing anything.

Okay just tried the radio and the page header is a darker grey and that looks much nicer. Still not keen on the progress bar. (Also finally pausing makes it to the desktop)

(It would be nice if the application could be shown only in the tray.)

Nice to see a css file that I can edit though. (Please don't hide that away)

Guessing that is enough feedback for now...

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 apr 2012, 13:47

Re: Windows version - fails to detect ANY Ipod, Iphone, Crashes every time I connect one

EarwaxOfSatan said:
    I tried the beta for about a week before switching back to the last full release. Will try it again on a spare computer maybe.

I like the new interface and hope the release version will be more useable. Here are my details.

Itunes: v. 10.6.1.7
    Devices: Iphone 4; Ipod 5th Gen 160GB; Ipod Classic (6th gen) 160

Never any problems with these devices, Itunes, internet connectivity, etc, other than this. My music library consists of about 750GB, maybe more.

Symptoms - upon connection of any Apple device, Last.fm crashes then indicates that the crash feedback failed to be sent. Beta testing not particularly helpful when the crash report can't be sent, eh?

Thanks for the effort. I look forward to the next iteration.

Try uninstalling and then re-installing. That fixed the iPod issue for me at least.

• Dr-Leech sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 apr 2012, 15:19
    Mac client, doesn't start next song on radio playing. Need to click Pause and then Play again and it immediately starts. Looks like the song is being downloaded but doesn't start.

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 apr 2012, 20:38

Double Scrobble

StudleyUK said:
    The client just sent through a double-scrobble for Spaceman (here's proof). Details may or may not be gleaned from here.

Me too
    http://www.last.fm/user/headey/library/music/Craig+D%27Andrea/_/girl%27s+longer+hair

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
  • Unable to listen to music

when i play a radio i get "Interface not registered:101" error. i'm using windows 7 x64 machine.Any idea to resolve this issue?

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2012, 13:17

Specifying Tag Radio or Artist Radio

I suppose this is the same as the web based player but...
    because of the redirections set up I can't play the tag(for example) 'elgar'.
    On the old scrobbler I could specify Tag Radio or Artist Radio.

I think the only way of doing it now is to use the code generated by http://beta.combofm.de ?

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    • Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 22 apr 2012, 20:43

Re: Specifying Tag Radio or Artist Radio

headey said:
    I think the only way of doing it now is to use the code generated by http://beta.combofm.de ?
    Another way is to type the link, either in your browser or Start -> Run:
    lastfm://tag/elgar

• JuanFal sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 apr 2012, 21:19

Mac version. Keyboard shortcuts are useless

Great work… only a weird 3% CPU on idle in my MacBook Air. Keyboard shortcuts are useless since they only work when the application is the frontmost application. It would be great to be able to customize them and have them responsive having any as front application.

• Notification & icon

First of all, Great work! It looks awesome.

There're a few things that would be cool:
    I would like to be able to show growl notifications with my own informations and do not request servers to get it.. I've already set ID Tags and covers and I don't want to wait to load it again. Worst, notifications doesn't show up when the song is not "popular" enough which is really annoying.

By the way, the icon doesn't render as smoothly as the previous one:

Finally, as it has already been said, I would like to hide the dock icon too.

Thank you very much.

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 apr 2012, 07:50

Re: Re: Specifying Tag Radio or Artist Radio

Bloopy said:
    headey said:
    Another way is to type the link, either in your browser or Start -> Run:
    lastfm://tag/elgar
    Ah, thanks bloopy.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
  • Ipod Scrobbles not submitted

I'm still using the Diagnostics to initiate iPod Scrobbling. A window pops up and displays a log of detected plays ok, but whereas the old client would then display a new window for you to select/deselect and submit scrobbles, nothing comes up from the Beta client.

I do still have the old client which works fine, so maybe there is a conflict somewhere, or is there a problem with Beta iPod scobbling?

I really must get round to creating a cool signature for this box
    • hbeerda sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 apr 2012, 11:01

can't install beta

I removed the old version, trie to install the new one, but it doesn't connect to the server of last fm. Tried to install again, still the same. So now I haven't got a desktop application anymore. Somebody got an advise?

• sundryseasons said:
    Churumbela said:
    It stopped scrobbing at some point yesterday afternoon and missed a number of tracks
    It randomly happens to me too with iTunes, on 7 x64

Happens to me, too. I try to catch it when it happens and close the last.fm app, then restart iTunes and it seems to "fix" it temporarily.

• Skiye sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 23 apr 2012, 15:43
    "unknown error" is occurring again. less frequently than before...win7 ult x64, beta version 2.1.17

this is now happening also from time to time:

from the event log -
    Faulting application name: Last.fm.exe, version: 2.1.17.0, time stamp: 0x4f84064b
    Faulting module name: QtGui4.dll, version: 4.8.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f1d5450
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0017a370
    Faulting process id: 0x580
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd2173126a4945
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Last.fm\Last.fm.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Last.fm\QtGui4.dll
    Report Id: 1bb60208-8d81-11e1-bba5-78acc0b2cfce

Redigerad av Skiye den 23 apr 2012, 20:18
    • DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 apr 2012, 18:41
    I just had the beta client scrobble 70 linked duplicate tracks from my iPod, meaning if you delete one, you delete both. Yesterday, when I synced my iPod to update my playlists, not having played anything from it, the client rescrobbled 20 or so of the tracks I had listened to in iTunes before doing the sync.

Music, like language, is universal.
    • Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 23 apr 2012, 22:07
    Skiye said:
    "unknown error" is occurring again. less frequently than before...win7 ult x64, beta version 2.1.17

]
    I'm getting it more frequently than before, and when I start playing the radio again, the volume control is locked! When I tried to quit, the client crashed and left this error in event log:

Faulting application last.fm.exe, version 2.1.17.0, faulting module phonon_ds94.dll, version 4.8.0.0, fault address 0x0000b9da.

• Radio plays but doesn't scrobble.

Radio Plays fine - shows track being played in desktop and on profile page - BUT!!!! doesn't store scrobble even though I have Enable Scrobbling ticked in options.

Scrobbles from Spotify OK

• Balwah sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 apr 2012, 14:46
    When a song is set on replay and finishes playing the first time, the app doesn't recognizes that the song has started playing again and is stuck at the end of the previous play. This can only be solved if I switch to another song and then switch back to it since pausing and playing again doesn't work.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.3 and scrobbling through iTunes

• Zathara sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 apr 2012, 17:25
    I've never noticed any problem besides not scrobbling songs on repeat. It works just fine here.

Loved the app. I just think that it would be awesome if we could see song lyrics also :P

• Re: Ipod Scrobbles not submitted

iSkiapod said:
    I'm still using the Diagnostics to initiate iPod Scrobbling. A window pops up and displays a log of detected plays ok, but whereas the old client would then display a new window for you to select/deselect and submit scrobbles, nothing comes up from the Beta client.

I do still have the old client which works fine, so maybe there is a conflict somewhere, or is there a problem with Beta iPod scobbling?

Update:

So I read the install instructions again and uninstalled both the old and the new, then re-installed the beta - now it recognises my iPod and I see it in the device list. I'll see what happens next time I sync.

I'm starting to like it :)

• DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 apr 2012, 10:17
    Another whole iPod session messed up with around another 60 - 70 linked duplicate scrobbles. On top of that, there were another 30 - 40 triple scrobbles which included some tracks listened to in iTunes before listening to my iPod. Two of the triple scrobbles are linked, meaning if you delete one of the linked scrobbles, you are left with a single scrobble.

Music, like language, is universal.
  • Missing Icon

When lauched, the icon in the right bottom corner is transparent.

Mouse hover does work etc.

Thanks for the pause button^^.

• Skiye sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 25 apr 2012, 15:45
    Bloopy said:
    I'm getting it more frequently than before, and when I start playing the radio again, the volume control is locked! When I tried to quit, the client crashed and left this error in event log:

Faulting application last.fm.exe, version 2.1.17.0, faulting module phonon_ds94.dll, version 4.8.0.0, fault address 0x0000b9da.

yeah, its happening to me again more frequently today than ever. even tried manually clearing the cache from the appdata directory.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.