Last.fm Desktop Application Beta (2012)

• DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 mar 2012, 07:10
    queendork said:
    I had this issue over the weekend as well, though if I deleted the "Unknown" iPod, it retained the original associated device. This morning, though, I was able to scrobble my iPod tracks without an issue.

The beta client seems to go back and forth between the named iPod and the Unknown one (really the same iPod), so I don't bother deleting any of the associations. In scrobbling the next iPod sesion after my last post, the client recognized the named iPod and scrobbled all the iPod tracks ok, but it also rescrobbled the last track I played in iTunes before listening to my iPod, creating a dup. This dup was not tied to the original scrobble, so I was able to delete it with no problem.

As I type this post, I am waiting on my iPod to sync. It does not look like the client picked up the iPod, so here goes forcing the iPod scrobbling. It loks like the tracks were scrobbled ok with nothing duplicated this time,

In other words, I am getting erratic behavior from the beta client when it comes to scrobbling from my iPod.

Music, like language, is universal.
    • DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 mar 2012, 12:19
    I was playing around with music videos again. I finally noticed that for some music videos the beta client says: "Not scrobbling - not a music video". Who determines what is or is not a music video? These vids are music videos, but are not recognized as such by the client. There should be some way of overriding the default settings or a setting to let us scrobble what we want.

Even though not seeing a vid as a music video, the client is correctly picking up the artist, title, and track tags.

• eartle sa...
    • Alumni
    • 13 mar 2012, 14:36
    DoctorT: there is tag that tells us if the video is a music video. If you "Get Info" on the video it's the "Media Kind" drop down on the "Options" tab. Thanks for the feedback on iPod scrobbling we will continue to look into these issues.

Was the Last.fm Client Team - @eartle
    See also:
    Mobbler: the Last.fm radio player and scrobbler for Nokia/Symbian.
    Setlist Scrobbler: scrobble the Setlist.fm setlists for your Last.fm attended events.
    • DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 mar 2012, 17:19
    eartle said:
    DoctorT: there is tag that tells us if the video is a music video. If you "Get Info" on the video it's the "Media Kind" drop down on the "Options" tab. Thanks for the feedback on iPod scrobbling we will continue to look into these issues.

I have set Media Kind to "Music Video" for all my music videos, otherwise they appear as Movies in iTunes. I have also set up a Smart Playlist where Media Kind = Music Video which contains all my music videos. Still, not all videos so tagged get scrobbled.

• Got a crash with repeatable results.

Whenever I hit next a couple times in rapid succession in my media player (eg, if I don't want to hear 5-7 songs that are in a row or 5-7 song that I shuffle to) the beta client will crash - either in the middle of this or when I finally find a song I want to listen to and that song's data loads on the client. When I re-open the beta client after the crash, it will crash again almost immediately upon opening. Opening it once more does not cause any further crashes.

This is something that seems to be new to the 2.1.15 update of the beta. Didn't see it on the initial 2.1.14 version.

• Still cannot get the ipod scrobbler working. All of my software is up to date, and there is no recognized ipod in the options menu. I manage my ipod manually, and when i scrobble in the diagnostics with the "I manually manage my ipod" option, i simply get a list of all of my itunes songs, and no scrobbles are to be found :'( halp anyone?

• Thought I'd add my opinions and experiences to this topic!

First of all, I really like it. It's better than the old scrobbler in my opinion. I like the way it's constantly retrieving information from the website so that the info in the scrobbler is accurate and up to date. I especially like how easy it is now to see how many times you have listened to the artist playing, whether or not you have heard the track before etc etc. The various tabs down the side are also useful, and done in a better way than before in my opinion.

Only really experienced a couple of problems. The first one is, if you're listening to a track where the artist is auto-corrected to a different spelling and you love the track in the scrobbler, it shows up on your list of loved tracks but the heart symbol doesn't show up in the recently played tracks part of the profile page. It doesn't show even if you listen to it again later. Only a minor thing, but something I have noticed.

Secondly. I've noticed the scrobbler crashes if you skip a few tracks quickly and your internet connection is being fully used by something else, so the client can't load the information in time. This is the only real annoyance I have got about the new version.

Overall though it's pretty awesome, hopefully the few problems with it can be sorted out soon!

• DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 mar 2012, 13:49
    I downloaded Beyond the Blue Horizon from The Internet Archives to see if the beta client would scrobble this video. I had to add the artist and title tags and I changed the Media Kind tag from "Movie" to "Music Video". After this last change, the video did appear in my Smart Playlist where Media Kind = Music Video. The beta client would not scrobble it, saying it was not a music video.

In looking at my videos sorted by Kind, it appears that the client has no problem scrobbling the music videos I have purchased, but does not like videos I have downloaded from artist's pages or sites such as The Internet Archives. For downloaded videos, Kind is usually "MPEG-4 video file" or "Quicktime movie file". These videos were scrobbled using the current stable version of the client. I realize this difference between purchased and otherwise downloaded videos represents a correlation, not a cause-and-effect situation.

• DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 mar 2012, 13:54
    I am currently experiencing a problem with a radio station played through the beta client. I am making a separate post rather then append it to my just posted note on music videos because it is unrelated to the latter.

The problem is that there is no sound for every other track. One track will play normally and the next track will have no sound. Skipping the silent track will load another track which will play with no problems, however the next track again will be silent. This has now continued for 13 tracks - 7 with sound and 6 without. I have never experienced this problem before.

EDIT: It would be nice if the beta client had a Restart button for the radio. I can restart a radio on web player by refreshing the page. I wanted to restart the radio to see if the above problem would go away. Asit is, I have to go back to Combo.fm, rebuild the station, and start it anew. BTW, the above problem has persisted with now over a dozen tracks each of normal and silent play.

EDIT 2: Restarting the station did not clear the problem. Hmm, could this be a streaming server problem instead of a client problem?

EDIT 3: FWIW, I tried the same radio build played through the web player and the above problem has not appeared.

• I think the new Client looks really good and refreshed! Although I agree with most of you, please add so we can change the wiki language. I don't want Swedish wikis on my scrobbled artist because I'm using the English www.last.fm when I'm logged in.

Because how it is now, all links are going to www.lastfm.se

• rwitte sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 17 mar 2012, 06:58
    Thanks for the new version. Thanks for moving the volume slider back to top. Also new update log on install is good.

• I'm glad to see a new client version since it's much more practical than have the browser always open.

Can somebody tell me if this version already let us pause the music like in the browser?

Thanks.

• IRONICtypo said:
    Got a crash with repeatable results.

Whenever I hit next a couple times in rapid succession in my media player (eg, if I don't want to hear 5-7 songs that are in a row or 5-7 song that I shuffle to) the beta client will crash - either in the middle of this or when I finally find a song I want to listen to and that song's data loads on the client. When I re-open the beta client after the crash, it will crash again almost immediately upon opening. Opening it once more does not cause any further crashes.

This is something that seems to be new to the 2.1.15 update of the beta. Didn't see it on the initial 2.1.14 version.

This is now fixed in the new 2.1.16 update. Thanks guys =D

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 mar 2012, 18:50
    The new version seems more stable and responsive than the previous one :)

• Just downloaded the beta version... unfortunately I get this message (I have a Mac): "The application Last.fm quit unexpectedly. *Click relaunch to launch the app. again..." I've tried several times to launch it but nothing...

• rwitte sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 18 mar 2012, 23:47
    Kiitekudasai said:
    I'm glad to see a new client version since it's much more practical than have the browser always open.

Can somebody tell me if this version already let us pause the music like in the browser?

Thanks.

yes pause in beta

• Last.fm 2.1.16 on Mac OS X 10.7.3

UI oddity is gone and the program seems to be more stable.
    I like that the volume controls are now beneath the love, play,… buttons.
    And thanks for adding preferences for hiding the dock icon and changing the language (both still grayed out). Hope they will be activated soon!

• Still no artist info text on OSX 2.1.16
    And it still randomly pauses after skipping. Have to pause and unpause.

• First of all... the new client works really well. Good job!

Since it is still beta I can understand why some features are currently locked.

Zarggg said:
    It would be nice to have some kind of progress indication for long tasks, such as "Processing iPod scrobbles."

It's been doing that for about 10 minutes now.
    As Zarggg said, an indications would be really helpful.

As I act out my role in this play we call, Life. Until, I'm told to exit stage left, well I'm going to just enjoy acting.
    • DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 mar 2012, 17:28
    Here are my first observations on the beta client 2.1.16 based on light usage over the last few days.

I like that the volume control has been moved to the top.

Problems encountered in previous versions which have reoccurred in 2.1.16

1. Duplicate scrobbling. I have had one instance of the track played in iTunes immediately before listening to my iPod being resubmitted when I synced my iPod, creating a duplicate submission.
    2. Erratic iPod scrobling. The client is still seeing my iPod as two different iPods, although this time the 2nd iPod has a numerical name rather than “Unknown”. I had to manually scrobble tracks for this “2nd” iPod using Help → Diagnostics → Scrobble iPod. However, when I did this the client then asked me if I wanted to scrobble from “Unknown”, so now the client has seen my iPod as 3 different iPods. The client has always identified my iPod as “Unknown” when I have manually scrobbled it.

Problems which have not reared their ugly faces.

3. Freezing of the client.
    4. Crashing.
    5. Needing to uninstall and reinstall the client to get it working, requiring a restart of Windows. I haven't had a situation in which to test this.
    6. Now Playing display bug.
    7. Alternate normal & silent tracks while playing radio.

Fixed.

8. I see that when I play a radio station of an artist I have never heard before it no longer says “Recommended because you listen to X”.

New problems (may have existed with earlier versions but just noticed now).

9. The list of “Top Artists This Week” does not match the list of Top Artists for the Last Seven Days on my Profile page, nor does it match either of the two most recent weekly snapshots, nor will it match last week's snapshot when it appears.
    10. On the Friends list, for one friend it says “Scrobbling now from Last.fm Flash clienttt”.

New Observations.

11. I like that the Combo.Fm radio build I played last is listed in the Recently Played radio stations (although it doesn't have a title), so I can replay it. (This is not the case with the list of Recently Played stations on the web site.)

Redigerad av DoctorT den 19 mar 2012, 22:56
  • That's awesome I really missed that.

rwitte said:
    Kiitekudasai said:
    I'm glad to see a new client version since it's much more practical than have the browser always open.

Thanks.

yes pause in beta

• cee3 sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 mar 2012, 00:55

Not seeing my iPod

I installed the beta because the old client wouldn't scrobble my ipod after moving to Windows 7 and itunes 10.6. (#$^% Windows 7!) Unfortunately, the beta is also not scrobbling my ipod.

When I go to devices I don't see anything in there. At one point I did see a bar at the top of the Last.fm window that said it detected my ipod and displayed the ipod's number. Now I don't even get that when I connect the ipod.

• Re: Not seeing my iPod

cee3 said:
    I installed the beta because the old client wouldn't scrobble my ipod after moving to Windows 7 and itunes 10.6. (#$^% Windows 7!) Unfortunately, the beta is also not scrobbling my ipod.
    Can you let us know which model of iPod you are using please?

• 13" MBP, OSX 10.7.3 - 2.1.16 solved the display issue but I'm still not seeing any artist info text. Is this due to the Macs 1280x800 resolution? Also as time goes on the client is gradually using up more and more CPU. When I launch it it stays around 2-5% but then it slowly increases to 20% until I restart it and the usage drops back to 2-5%. I don't quit the client when closing the lid, so it's open all the time for days.

• DoctorT sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 mar 2012, 21:57
    The beta client 2.1.16 still won't scrobble some music videos, claiming they are not music videos (yes, Media Kind is set to Music Video).

Also, the last time I scrobbled my iPod, the 8 tracks played in iTunes before my iPod listening session were resubmitted, so the duplicate tracks problem is still there.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.