• krivs sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 sep 2006, 13:41

New songs

Antony and the Johnsons played two concerts live in Denmark at September 7th and September 8th. They played some new songs: "Kiss my name", "Everything is new", "Where is my power?", "One Dove" and "That dog". Have any of you heard some of these songs? I think all of them were very great, especially "Where is my power?".

Antony said at the first concert, Thursday, that he just have wrote the song "That Dog" the day before. And at the concert Friday he said, that he had wrote the song "the day before yesterday". So maybe it's true? Does anyone of you know about it?

• Hi Krivs,

I went to see Antony and the Johnsons at Latitude Festival and Electric Picnic this summer. They played all the new songs except for That Dog (possibly called Shake That Dog according to some friends). At Electric Picnic Antony said that he wrote Where is my power? just after he returned from a trip to Jamaica.

Anyway, they are all fabulous (of course) - personal current favourite is Kiss My Name. And just for accuracy's sake, Everything is New isn't really a new song as Antony's been playing this one live for some time - its just not been officially recorded yet. I love it.

All the best

• krivs sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 sep 2006, 14:32
    Ok, I didn't know about "Everything is New", but I have only seen Antony and the Johnsons live these two times.
    But so fantastic! :-)
    I hope that we don't have to wait so long for a new cd

• lised sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 okt 2006, 13:43
    krivs said:
    Antony and the Johnsons played two concerts live in Denmark at September 7th and September 8th. They played some new songs: "Kiss my name", "Everything is new", "Where is my power?", "One Dove" and "That dog". Have any of you heard some of these songs? I think all of them were very great, especially "Where is my power?".

Antony said at the first concert, Thursday, that he just have wrote the song "That Dog" the day before. And at the concert Friday he said, that he had wrote the song "the day before yesterday". So maybe it's true? Does anyone of you know about it?

He also sang a song called "Dust and water" or something, didn't he? Whatever the title is, is was my "number one new song"

• krivs sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 okt 2006, 18:56
    Yeah he also sang "Dust and Water" but that isn't a new song I think. I have a live record at my computer where he also sings it :-). But it was really a great song

• lised sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 okt 2006, 21:38
    krivs said:
    Yeah he also sang "Dust and Water" but that isn't a new song I think. I have a live record at my computer where he also sings it :-). But it was really a great song

Really? you do!? Is there any way you can mail that song to me? Please, please..

• krivs sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 okt 2006, 15:07

That Dog

I just found this link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8LVZI3ilcLI
    where Antony and the Johnsons are playing "That Dog"

• Wow, the songs that I've just heard, That Dog and Kiss Me (by the way thanks for those), are fantastic! They are both really swingey (swingy?) and jazzy; I've heard a whole new side of Antony & the Jonhsons. If the new album is going to sound like this, it shall be a really good album.

• Am I the only one who thinks "That Dog" is a really bad joke? We have Elvis Presley for that kind of boring songs already...
    If anyone has seen the movie "Big Fish", when Antony said "did you like this song? Cause I plan to move on with this styl" or something, it reminded me of the scene in that movie when the poet in Spectre shows his latest poem to the main character.

As far as I recall (I was at the Århus show), some of the other new songs sounded really good though, and of course "Water And Dust" was brilliant.

"There is no always forever, just this"
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 feb 2007, 14:55
    I loved the fact the songs sounded "danceable".. x)

• Yeah, me too. It is danceable indeed. Besides the fact that it sounds a bit jazzy makes the waiting for this possible new album very hard. Really can't wait. This fangroup looks a bit dead too, actually. Not a post in weeks.

• Användare
    • 18 mar 2007, 16:23
    "Kiss My Name" is great. I heard it for the first time during yesterdays concert in Wroclaw, Poland. They have also played "One Dove" and 3 new songs, but i don't remember the titles. Antony said that he wrote one of them during his stay at his friends house in France. The second one was performed live for the fist time, according to Antony's words. And a third was written by someone else from the group (not by Antony).

• byebasil sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 mar 2007, 11:01
    that "second song" was totally awesome! ive beenthere too :P
    but the last one youre writing about is song written by nico.

• TFFbenji sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 apr 2007, 03:14

that dog

oo i love that dog. i remember an interview where he said his grandma asked him to play happier music so he promised he would record some happier and more upbeat tracks.

i saw him ages ago play a song called 'ghost'. it was incredible.

also at turning he played a pretty upbeat song (can't remember what it was other than that it was amazing)

• But if you like "That Dog", are you also fans of Elvis Presley? I think you'd like him - most of his upbeat songs sound like That Dog.

"There is no always forever, just this"
  • I was at fantastic the Bologna concert on 7/12 where he played the new or unreleased songs mentioned here (Shake that dog, Kiss my name, One Dove), plus a beautiful Leonard Cohen cover (The Guests). I can't wait for the new record!
    He looked so happy and relaxed...

sebalaura
  • one dove

I think Antony played "One dove" last year in Poznan in Poland 30.06.06.
    It's one of my fav of him.

"One Dove" , you're the one I've been waiting for! :)

• Användare
    • 11 jan 2009, 08:27
    The new album is incredible. (if you don't know yet, it's already available through their website)

Shake that devil (where he sings shake that dog, etc.) isn't on the new album, but it is released on the EP Another World.

Highlights from the new album are: Her eyes are underneath the ground, One Dove, Epilepsy is dancing & Kiss my name.

Haven't seen him live yet. Made a trip to Rouen once, but the show was cancelled. A four hour drive for nothing. Still managed to see CocoRosie & Bloc Party, but the main reason for the trip was Antony.
    Luckily I have got tickets for the gig in Brussels. Just can't wait to see that one!

Does he play a lot of covers live? There is a version out there of Leonard Cohen's If it be your will, which is just incredible. He also did very good versions of Lou Reed's Perfect Day and Bob Dylan's Knockin' on heavens door.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.