albums that gain most from listening to them whole

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 apr 2010, 21:34
    Most concept albums need to be listened to as an album, 70s album rock or bands that still conform to album rock like Flamin' Lips [1 example]

But really...most albums for me worth delving into fully.

• shofman sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 apr 2010, 22:17
    Rock opera's and concept albums. Some albums that really stand out for me are Pink Floyd's The Wall, Animals and Dark Side of the Moon, Ayreon's The Human Equation and 01001101 and Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (Especially Disc 2).
    It would be strange if you would listen to only one track of an album consisting of only one song, like Jethro Tull's A Passion Play, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells or Porcupine Trees The Incident.

• Opeth - Still Life. Best concept album I've heard, storyline, imagery, orchestration all brilliant

Redigerad av heedstoone den 17 aug 2010, 13:17
  • AnacrusisScreams and Whispers
    this is an alum that although each track is strong and is able to stand on it's own feet, gains the abillity to put you in a trance when you listen to it in full album format.

• Any progressive album really, but I enjoy listening to Between the Buried and Me's Colors in album format just because it flows rather well. Than again, it is supposedly a single track all the way through.

• Any concept album. Stuff like mars volta's Frances the mute or meahuggah's Catch 33 which is just one big song which is just so awsome...

• Most anything from Dream Theater, Opeth, Mr. Bungle, Radiohead and Pink Floyd.

Also, Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime.

I've been awake for a few days - that's all that comes to mind for now.

• Private Cinema deserves a place here. In my right mind I would not try to listen to a single song on it. Individually that is. :P

Good thread, going to check some of the albums listed here that I haven't heard yet.

• honkynut sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 jun 2011, 13:08
    XTC's Skylarking is the first one that comes to mind. Excellent episodic rumination of a life. But yeah, anything progressive (using that term as loosely as possible, knowing how some people react to it) or to a theme. Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet, Biosphere's Substrata ... many many many more..

• Sigur Rós - ( ). Best album I've ever heard, and always as a full album format

Tradition means passing along the fire, not worshipping the ashes.
    (Gustav Mahler)
    • Användare
    • 28 jun 2011, 21:47
    Every Tool album.

• honkynut sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jul 2011, 02:44
    I think perhaps it basically comes down to the indiviuals tastes and unfortunately attention spans

• Nonpoint's album Development is one that I don't think of as being one of their better collection of songs, but every time I listen to it I'm always impressed by how well the songs hold together as an album.

Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor is a great album. The songs flow together atypically well for a pop album.

• max8455 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 nov 2011, 01:38
    Don't know if it has been said yet but any live bootleg is much better listened too as a whole.

It can suck to listen to a track here and there from them but if you listen to a whole set it feels like you were there. Some have rare covers or improvised parts that never made it to the studio.

• Randwer sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 dec 2011, 11:17
    A recent one is 50 Words for Snow by Kate Bush.

They don't trust us, why should we trust them, then?
    • Användare
    • 12 dec 2011, 20:47
  • At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    Comus - First Utterance
    Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer
    Any album by Current 93

No man was spared
    No houses or farm remains
    No christian woman unraped
    Their church consumed by flames
  • Besides Pink Floyd's The Wall, Frank Zappa did Many that Absolutely Have to be listened to in Their Entirety!

• Real music lovers listen to albums

Really any album by Saint Etienne. Sing Memory by Sarah Nixey. A secret wish by Propaganda. Just to name a few. I always listen to the whole album by any artist when I listen to my Mp3's, which are mostly ripped from my cds.

Chase your current mood with a magical music remedy.
  • I think most of us will agree on this: Most concept albums.

• Randwer sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 aug 2013, 10:58
    k_naruchiha94 said:
    I think most of us will agree on this: Most concept albums.

Definitely.
    two recent concept albums from 2013, I would like to recommend:

They don't trust us, why should we trust them, then?
  • Of the albums I know, Pink Floyd's "The Wall" gains most from listening to it completely. In my opinion, the songs aren't really that good or interesting (except "Comfortably Numb" which is actually f**king great) and it's the concept that makes the album work as a whole.
    There are also concept albums where the individual songs work pretty well on their own so I don't think you can really generalize this.

• Sal-ival sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 sep 2014, 19:21
    Boris At Last -Feedbacker- is undoubtedly a gratifying experience when listening as a whole.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.