Best acoustic covers?

• Re:

Quoth vince_5121:
    And of course Rufus Wainwrights version of 'Hallelujah' is breath taking!

I agree on that one, I find Jeff Buckley's version more haunting and creepy than Rufus' and you can hear and feel the emotion in his voice

• kris247 sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 apr 2006, 20:45
    I quite like Jack Johnson's cover of "A Pirate Looks at 40". It probably has the highest play count of all my songs in iTunes.

I heard Ben Taylor cover Macy Gray's "I Try" a few weeks ago, that was pretty good.

• I actually quite like Will Young's version of the Outkast song, Hey Ya which he did on Radio 1 Live Lounge

• I recently heard Antony´s version of Lou Reed´s ´Perfect Day´ that´s also a beautiful song, and his version makes me really emotional...

• Adam981 sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 apr 2006, 15:44
    Elliott Smith did lots of Beatles covers but I particularly like his cover of John Lennon's Jealous Guy.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 apr 2006, 23:16
    yep that's a great cover, fun to play on the guitar

• I like Jeff Buckleys version of Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen better then the actual Leonard Cohen version because Leonard Cohen makes me feel suicidal.

• Användare
    • 19 apr 2006, 21:22
    not exactly acoustic but jamie cullum's frontin is lovely

• never say that again.

• Gheghe, LOL! Maybe not the right place to talk about Jamie Cullum Rrren...

• I daresay he is a very talented musician. (just that he has to hang out with the over 50's because he can't get in with the youngsters)very very talented.

• Användare
    • 27 apr 2006, 20:10
    Well there's a generalisation if ever I heard one. And opinion on his 'style' aside, the cover is innovative and does something new with the song. What i think of him as a person doesn't really colour my judgement of the actual music.

(edit: no offence intended, just my opinion :) )

• Does anyone know "manhattan skyline" by Kings of Convenience?
    It was originally by A-ha and it has to be one of the best covers I ever heard in my whole life..it's so beautiful,I can't stop listening to it.

There's nights that I can't even walk
    There's days I couldn't give a fuck
    And in between is where I'm stuck
  • hmmm.
    Kings of Convenience are incredible, in general......

other acoustic covers? the whole Cat Power albulm is fun....
    -anyone ever hear the weird eerie Bjork/PJ Harvey cover of the Stone's "Satisfaction"? odd.
    -how about Radiohead actually covering Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy", instead of being covered? guess it's not so acoustic.
    -Nirvana's covers of The Vaseline's "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam", and Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?", and "Man Who Sold The World"by David Bowie, are great too.
    -Cowboy Junkie's "Sweet Jane"
    -Concrete Blonde's "Everybody Knows"
    -Bobby McFerrin's "Baby You Can Drive My Car" -The beatle....come on, it's awesome.
    -Dave Matthew's "Angel From Mountgomery" (i can't speiill)

personally, i fucking love Mogwai's Guns n' Roses cover of "Don't Cry"

sorry, just got thinkin'..... poop.

• for you. i forgot the s.

• I love Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol's cover of Bright Eyes' You Will. Its even better than the original IMHO.

Also Muse's cover of Nina Simone's Feeling Good, I prefer my acoustic version to the original.

Finally, a small band called Revere's acoustic cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division.

• Oh, Johnny Cash's Hurt cover, so true stefans. And I heard it was voted number video of all time. Something along those lines.

How about... Five for Fighting's cover of Five for Fighting's Superman? Hahaha. No i'm serious. Remember how he did that song around 1999 and made you want to cry? Then he did it again but differently, just like Herlow said, somehow put in a different context to fit the time. Then it made -me- want to cry.

Also want to say -- this forum made me join last.fm. My suitcase of a heart is packed and bursting for this exact topic. (Everyone says a song, and I'm like "I love Jamie's frontin' too!" "Radiohead again!!")

• b8in sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 jun 2006, 21:09
    Heard Tori Amos' cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit?
    Can't decide if I like it, definitely interesting though!

• GVH27 sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 jun 2006, 07:31

Re:

Quoth b8in:

I think that song can be included in the title of the book called 'How To Ruin The Best Songs In The World'.

• GVH27 sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 jun 2006, 07:32

Re:

Quoth b8in:

I think that song can be included in the title of the book called 'How To Ruin The Best Songs In The World'.

• b8in sa...
    • Användare
    • 26 jun 2006, 11:00
    If a song is good enough, being covered badly shouldn't ruin it.

• baz1860 sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jul 2006, 00:10
    Dave Grohl's acoustic cover of Elton John's Tiny Dancer is pretty cool, sounds like a fun time was had by all those who were there...

Also, Dave Grohl's acoustic version of his own 'Times Like These' is fabulous.

And again, In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel is fantastic when its just him on solo acoustic guitar. Much better than the overproduced versions on his albums...

Admittedly, neither of the previous two songs are covers, but they are definitely reworkings of the original in a stylistically different manner, albeit by their original creators.

But screw it, they rock!!!!

• tori amos cover of "smells like teen spirit" is fucking BETTER than the original when you get used to it.

• baz1860 sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 jul 2006, 14:39
    Foy Vance covering Michael Jackson's Billie Jean is incredible, it takes the song in a completely different direction, and since I like the acoustic, melancholic genre, I think it sounds infinitely better than the original..

And Tori Amos's version of I Don't Like Monday's is far superior to the original...

• Användare
    • 2 jul 2006, 03:12
    damien rice - creep (radioehad)
    tori amos - smells like teen spirit (nirvana)
    yeah yeah yeahs - hyperballad (bjork)

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.