Forum » General Discussion

Most Influential Genre of Music

• Most Influential Genre of Music

Hey!
    I have a question for everyone...What do you guys think has been the most influential genre of music? Is it pop because of all the money it brings in? Is it rock because of all the great bands that have come out with amazing music? What do you think it is? I stumbled across this list of all the bands organized into genres in order to help make this question a bit easier to answer. Music Genres Start the discussion now!

• NFXFSX sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 sep 2010, 04:16
    We've had a few threads about this before and it usually turns in to a war of genres and fans. Then it gets locked.

• *shrugs*

Classical?

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
    • NFXFSX sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 sep 2010, 04:26
    DaddyPobbin said:
    *shrugs*

Classical?

I would say. Everything pretty much spawned from it in one way or another.

• NFXFSX said:
    DaddyPobbin said:
    *shrugs*

Classical?

I agree, but i would also suggest Blues or Jazz is up there when it comes to modern adjustments.

think about it...
    • NFXFSX sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 sep 2010, 04:41
    Plus we wouldn't have rock without blues. It's a tree. Hard to pick just one without referring to another.

• How about the most influential instruments? Without these, we would have nothing:

1. Stick
    2. Rock
    3. Gourd
    4. Stretched animal skin

..... but we can still be friends.

Irony.

Join The Best Group ever!!!
  • i would say a better way to go with this would be the most influential genre for the particular individual.

with great power comes....LASER EYEBEAMS!!!!!!!
    • Skiye sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 27 sep 2010, 20:36
    definitely a 'personal perspective' question.

most influential to me is in my library. of course, ive only been a member for almost 4 years of my life. so, the charts/stats arent entirely accurate, but they are close enough for me :)

also, imho, genres are based upon the opinion of the listener as well, and therefore are variable depending on the person listening. guys like frank zappa, john zorn, mike patton, etc - they are all multi-genre composers/musicians, so its hard to classify a lot of people as one specific "typecast"

• def jazz/blues in my opinion

By too many hands
    Touching where I stand
    And I can't fall
    Because you'll try and catch me
  • ulysses_freeman said:
    NFXFSX said:
    DaddyPobbin said:
    *shrugs*

Classical?

I agree, but i would also suggest Blues or Jazz is up there when it comes to modern adjustments.

classical probably has more influence than blues and jazz still

When it comes to popular songs and when it comes to metal...

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
  • Classical and African music.

African --->blues and jazz --->rock, r&b, funk, etc.

What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?
    • Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 28 sep 2010, 20:19
    Prehistoric music, because it was supposedly the most popular genre for 60,000 years or more, and undoubtedly influenced everything that followed. :P

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 sep 2010, 11:39
    Aside from all the jokey but gods honest observations by the above, it hard to trace the exact origins of what influences contemporary music. Trying to make a musical 'genelogical tree' so to speak in the current artistic climate would be a near impossibility without intentionally disregarding whole styles and subcultures. No matter how all emcompassing one tries to be someone will inevitably turn and say "but what about this sub-sub-genre" or "you forgot neo-thingamajig" etc.

• Resurected Thread of the Day:

Does Las Ketchup count as a genre?

Irony.

• Användare
    • 26 okt 2010, 13:39

Re: Resurected Thread of the Day:

Phoenixme said:

You know full well that it doesn't Phoenix. Well I hope your happy with yourself. You've spoilt an otherwise lovely thread.

:P

• think about it...
    • Användare
    • 26 okt 2010, 14:51
    ulysses_freeman said:

The man from the Swiftcover adverts?

[roflroflroflroflroflcobrofl]

• DaddyPobbin said:
    ulysses_freeman said:
    NFXFSX said:
    DaddyPobbin said:
    *shrugs*

Classical?

classical probably has more influence than blues and jazz still

When it comes to popular songs and when it comes to metal...

I honestly couldn't agree more. The only real difference is the "symphony" has shrunk for 100 members to only 4 or 5.
    And there's vocals added in most cases.

I mean all the arrangements are the same with the exception of the wind instruments. You don't hear too many rock songs with flutes, trumpets or clarinets, but it is in electronic music and hip hop/rnb/rap... We still have the Strings, and percussions. And I guess that being said...You could really classify the vocals as a sort of wind section, in my opinion.....

New tune added November 3rd.Music is not just a collaboration of noises. It's a symphonic blend of sounds for the mind, body, and soul to feel and experience. Music is the essence of all that is life...
  • Re: Re: Resurected Thread of the Day:

Selfsurprise said:
    Phoenixme said:

You know full well that it doesn't Phoenix. Well I hope your happy with yourself. You've spoilt an otherwise lovely thread.

:P

Mah feelinz

They r hurted

Irony.

• Användare
    • 2 nov 2010, 13:42

Re: Re: Re: Resurected Thread of the Day:

Phoenixme said:
    Mah feelinz

They r hurted

I feel terrible :(

• Nah, i wouldn't say Classical, music existed across continents before Classical music, anyway its probably Blues or Folk etc and most of the genres Black Americans created in the states, the basis of it is in everything including country. No Blues = No Rock, No Metal, No Jazz, No R&B, No Funk, No Country, No Reggae, No Techno either, because techno was only created through R&B & Funk.

Yea its definately Blues, The only modern music in which classical can still be felt in usualy is orchestral music. Folk had a bigger impact on popular modern genres than classical did.

• I will say that tribal instruments like sticks and rocks have been the most influential instruments in music, as for a genre. I would say classical and blues.

The only modern music in which classical can still be felt in usualy is orchestral music..

I disagree. Rappers, Hip Hop, and even Metal (various subgenres) are greatly influenced by classical musical. Pop in some (early) Megadeth, Accept, Dissection, or more modern euro metal such as Stratovarius, or Japanse bands like X-Japan.

• Personally I'd have to say blues, but the argument for classical is still pretty sound.
    I think the argument really comes down to which is more influential between those two.
    For a lot of genres the two both hold a lot of strong influences.
    Classical was obviously around before blues was, but the soul of blues seems to have transferred into a lot of genres today, at least my preferred genres.
    We're all a little biased in this based on what we listen to the most.

• sdgrandia said:
    I disagree. Rappers, Hip Hop, and even Metal (various subgenres) are greatly influenced by classical musical. Pop in some (early) Megadeth, Accept, Dissection, or more modern euro metal such as Stratovarius, or Japanse bands like X-Japan.

I didn't say they weren't many artist can take influences from various genres and incorporate it in their songs. Hell what was that R&B artist that had some kind of Japanese flute playing in his song? anyway I'm not talking about that. That is something that artist do all the time. Metal artist do it all the time with Folk & Classical but a few artist incoporating themes from different genres of music in a song doesn't really compare to a genre being the basis of that genre even existing. Atleast not in the same way of a genre like blues.

When i said Orchestral music i meant the only surviving modern music directly influenced by Classical. Stylistic origins and all. Even the earliest Psyche & Metal bands were more blues influenced than anything.

Classical was definately very influential, but Blues shaped the bulk of the modern popular genres of today. Even if they have evolved passed it now.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.