Forum » General Discussion

Do you accept every friend request you receive?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 07:01
    ProximityFuze said:
    The whole "friend" thing is something I've never really got my head around in here. I mean, I talk to some people around here that AREN'T on my friend list more than some that are.

Simply put, if you get along with someone you'll talk to them.

I'll generally accept someone if I've talked to them a bit (music taste doesn't really matter to me, personality does) or, in a show of supreme snobbery, they are a muso who has requested me because I was listening to their stuff.

Every now and then I'll accept someone who I haven't spoken to but I've enjoyed their work in the forums.

The randoms I just ignore, even if we're quite compatible. Is it that hard to have a bit of a chat or engage in some witty banter? I don't waltz into a pub and automatically assume everyone in there is my mate.

Hell, I've seen plenty of people at gigs I've attended that I wouldn't want to hang out with even though we like the same music. It isn't just about compatibility for me.

I get what you mean but close compatibility has meant I have found some artists through my friends radio that I might not have discovered otherwise.

• W130SN said:
    I get what you mean but close compatibility has meant I have found some artists through my friends radio that I might not have discovered otherwise.
    The Compatibility Thread is good for that. I just rustle through their library when they ain't looking.

Like a thief in the night.

To be fair, compatibility is often the initial reason I may start a conversation with someone. The difference is, I'll start a conversation rather than flicking a random request based on the fact that someone shares the same taste as me without saying a word.

It would be nice if other people did the same to me. I know I shouldn't expect that but it would be nice.

To broaden the topic, for those that do use LFM (semi) socially as well as musically - the lack of geniune discussion is what keeps some people away from the forums. If people actually communicated rather than posted their stream of consciousness this place might be more enjoyable.

Seems the art of communication has been lost a bit. It all starts with a 'hi' or a 'howdy' but maybe the technology has killed the art.

Anyway, I don't expect the place to change but I felt like throwing it out there.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

"You may not be interested in The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table, but The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table is interested in you." - Leon Trotsky.
    Redigerad av ProximityFuze den 8 maj 2012, 07:19
    • NFXFSX sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 07:04
    It certainly does help. I pick and choose stuff from many people.

• no,

accept every friend request you receive....

• No.

“Get beyond love and grief: exist for the good of Man.”
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • Yes, don't see why not and a great way to find new music.

"Everyday I'm Scrobbling"
    • holly75 sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 12:51
    No

Nobody dies a virgin....life fucks us all. ~ Kurt Cobain
  • No.

• I've yet to see a friend request from someone that I felt like not accepting (with one exception), usually there's a short exchange of posts / shouts / whatever before or after that.

So, I guess it's "yes"... but then it's not like I'm incapable of saying "no" if I felt like it.

There was one person I didn't want to friend, but I accepted anyway-- and then they acrimoniously de-friended me later... eh...

• Only if he has at least a minimum musical compatibility with me. For example recently a guy with any artists in common with me sent me a friend request,but I still haven't accepted it.

• Pretty much yes.

• No. I hardly ever get any friend requests anyway.

That's not chocolate, Charlie.
  • yeah If we have music in common, or if I know someone personaly, or if those talked with me or asked me for friend request.

Mou modorenakute, torimodosenakute, ushinata mono ga awari ni o osugite ,...
  • ProximityFuze said:
    The whole "friend" thing is something I've never really got my head around in here. I mean, I talk to some people around here that AREN'T on my friend list more than some that are.

Simply put, if you get along with someone you'll talk to them.

I'll generally accept someone if I've talked to them a bit (music taste doesn't really matter to me, personality does) or, in a show of supreme snobbery, they are a muso who has requested me because I was listening to their stuff.

Every now and then I'll accept someone who I haven't spoken to but I've enjoyed their work in the forums.

The randoms I just ignore, even if we're quite compatible. Is it that hard to have a bit of a chat or engage in some witty banter? I don't waltz into a pub and automatically assume everyone in there is my mate.

Hell, I've seen plenty of people at gigs I've attended that I wouldn't want to hang out with even though we like the same music. It isn't just about compatibility for me.

I do exactly the same thing. Compatibility is not important for me. But heck at least drop me a shout and try to say "hello" and talk to me. I will accept friend requests of people I have talked to 99.9% of the time (The other 0.1% are rejected in case I don't like them, because it has never happened before). I have had so many great chats with Last.fm members, it should be easy to engage in a conversation with me. I can talk about basically anything as long as the topic isn't forced.

I don't like random friend requests. For one, I don't want to be "just another user" in someone's whooping 3000-members friends list. I honestly don't understand how some people have that many people in their friends list. I bet my head they don't even talk to 80% of them. I always want to purge my friend list but I can't anymore: The few remaining people are actually people that can be considered "friends" to me.

This is not to say that whoever sends me a friend request HAS to talk to me via shoutbox or inbox messages. If I have seen them in the forums and/or interacted with them a little, it's very likely they will get accepted.

A lot of people actually read my About Me and say I have many "friend conditions". But it's not really the case. The only thing I ask of people before adding me is that they talk to me and that they keep a conversation going. A "Hello from X place" has never been a way to start a conversation with me... Just talk to me as you would talk to anyone else anywhere. Considering the fact that I don't care about compatibility when it comes to friend requests, anyone should be able to talk to me a little because I'm open minded and can talk about anything (I just suck at reviving conversations once they are dead!).

• I accept and will add somebody who has super compatability to me, or a personal friend of mine, but aside from that, I usually reject, with few exceptions.

peace and four kings
  • I'm a bit of a Last FM whore & generally accept all friend requests unless I am certain they're some kind of rude douchebag.

• I usually accept all of them, it's only Lastfm, I don't understand why people get so upset over random friend requests.

It's not as if you have to invite everyone from Lastfm to your wedding. Relax, it's just a number.

But on the other hand, I usually don't send random friend requests. Have nothing against them, I'm probably just too lazy.

Anarchism stands for liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion; the liberation of the human body from the dominion of property; liberation from shackles and restraint of government. It stands for social order based on the free grouping of individuals.
    It [...] maintains that God, the State, and society are non-existent, that their promises are null and void, since they can be fulfilled only through man's subordination.
    • Användare
    • 5 jun 2012, 16:48
    Yes.

• Användare
    • 5 jun 2012, 17:02
    Most of the time yes

• sortsem sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jun 2012, 17:18
    First off, I must be some big loser, since I've never had a friend request. But, I would accept, if one was sent. Especially if our music is compatible! Well here's to making new friends?? maybe!

• Crestrai sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jun 2012, 17:41
    Yeah. I see it like facebook without all the private info. If there's no disadvantage to letting a stranger be your friend, why the hell not?

• Kennoth sa...
    • Användare
    • 5 jun 2012, 19:26
    sortsem said:
    First off, I must be some big loser, since I've never had a friend request. But, I would accept, if one was sent. Especially if our music is compatible! Well here's to making new friends?? maybe!

Awww. :(

Ladies, send this handsome devil some requests, god dammit.

What breaks my pride, will break your skull. I bring the end, just like an Archangel.

• I don't. My five friends are people I know from other communities. I never ever really receive any firend requests so it hasn't been a problem. But I guess I rather talk to people before becoming friends, since it's simply nicer that way.

• I actually kinda do if they look like people who have a reason to add me as their friend.
    I just want people to talk to me if they want me as a friend on here !

"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent"

- Victor Hugo
  • Yes, though I've deleted everyone who really had no intention of talking.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.