Forum » General Discussion

Am I the only one that hates Facebook?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 mar 2010, 04:40
    I don't use Facebook but I don't hate it, and my missus has an account on there, which we both kinda just use for keeping tabs on any upcoming gigs/meetings/other events that take our fancy.

Though, I do fail to see the point in 99% of the groups she's in, y'know, the ones with stupidly long names about one tiny specific and meaningless topic, trying to be oh-so-different to all the other bullshit groups on there.

I used to be on VampireFreaks many years ago... *fucking shudders*.

• i don't like it, but will go ape shit if someone sends me stupid mafia, or farm crap....ugh

• sdgrandia said:
    i don't like it, but will go ape shit if someone sends me stupid mafia, or farm crap....ugh

I agree. I hate those apps.

• Me too lmao my sister is addicted to cafeworld or whatever it is,

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
    • Mamaatti sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 mar 2010, 18:57
    I did login to facebook yesterday. It seems as empty as always. I don't even want to be friends with over 500 people, half of who I do not even know personally. I just don't see the point.

lost in the kingdom of Narnia,
    brought back by nostalgic feelings
  • LucasLimerence said:
    sdgrandia said:
    i don't like it, but will go ape shit if someone sends me stupid mafia, or farm crap....ugh

I agree. I hate those apps.

There's this nifty little "block this application" option, you know.

Where secrets sleep, between the devil and the deep blue sea.
    gasolinefamily.tumblr.com
  • It's one of those worthless sites.

"I'm far from broke got enough bread and mad hoes ask beavis I get nothing butthead" - Big L
  • Facebook's great! I get to easily keep in touch with friends all over the world. It's especially handy for people I'm quite fond of, but don't have anything in common with or much to say to.

Lucky I didn't get to the lever arch file!
  • Iantastic said:
    Facebook's great! I get to easily keep in touch with friends all over the world. It's especially handy for people I'm quite fond of, but don't have anything in common with or much to say to.

I use email and instant messengers for keeping in touch with important people. Even the telephone. I don't need pictures, spam, ads with embedded trojans and other such things in a communication tool. :)

Not that I see ads on any website ever.

"I'm far from broke got enough bread and mad hoes ask beavis I get nothing butthead" - Big L
  • Major_Nuggs said:
    I use email and instant messengers for keeping in touch with important people. Even the telephone. I don't need pictures, spam, ads with embedded trojans and other such things in a communication tool. :)

Not that I see ads on any website ever.

Well, that's awesome that that's what works for you. I'm delighted. Personally, however, I've found times when those are not practical. Friends that I used to work with, and I'm very fond of, but don't really have anything in common with except that we both used to serve customers over the same counter, for example. Exchange students who stayed with my family for a while and have since gone back to school in their own country, or my own school friends who I've grown apart from. It's not for everyone, but it's nice to be able to keep in touch with people who've had a positive impact on my life, with whom I otherwise wouldn't.

Lucky I didn't get to the lever arch file!
  • I've never created an account for any social networking site.

• Hand-of-God said:
    I've never created an account for any social networking site.

Last.fm = Social networking.

MourningFall
  • Mourningfall said:
    Hand-of-God said:

Last.fm is an Internet radio website integrated with an online community. It's not a social network.

• Hand-of-God said:
    Mourningfall said:
    Hand-of-God said:

Last.fm is an Internet radio website integrated with an online community. It's not a social network.

A social network service focuses on building and reflecting of social networks or social relations among people, e.g., who share interests and/or activities. A social network service essentially consists of a representation of each user (often a profile), his/her social links, and a variety of additional services. Most social network services are web based and provide means for users to interact over the internet, such as e-mail and instant messaging. Although online community services are sometimes considered as a social network service in a broader sense, social network service usually means an individual-centered service whereas online community services are group-centered. Social networking sites allow users share ideas, activities, events, and interests within their individual networks.

Well, sounds a lot like Last.fm to me, not to mention:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites
    It just so happens to be on Wikipedia's list of notable social networks.
    It must suck being wrong eh?

MourningFall
  • You proved yourself wrong in that quote you posted. Last.fm is not primarily an online community, even still, an online community is not a social networking site.

• Användare
    • 9 mar 2010, 01:33
    Hand-of-God said:
    You proved yourself wrong in that quote you posted. Last.fm is not primarily an online community, even still, an online community is not a social networking site.

Is this forum right now a social site?

• HankMulder said:
    Hand-of-God said:
    You proved yourself wrong in that quote you posted. Last.fm is not primarily an online community, even still, an online community is not a social networking site.

Is this forum right now a social site?

There's a difference between a forum and social networking site.E.G. There's a Gamespot forum, but Gamespot is not a social networking site.

• S3rg10M sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 mar 2010, 03:17
    But we are not on Gamespot, we are on last.fm and it is social networking site, so get over it Hand-of-God

and back to the topic yes, i use facebook
    blocked all apps, not joing every group/fan page that later spams you
    and its all good

• S3rg10M said:
    But we are not on Gamespot

Hence "example".

S3rg10M said:
    we are on last.fm and it is social networking site, so get over it Hand-of-God

No, it isn't.

• Mamaatti sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 mar 2010, 06:04
    Hand-of-God said:
    No, it isn't.

Sorry, but five minutes is up. I am not allowed to argue anymore.

lost in the kingdom of Narnia,
    brought back by nostalgic feelings
  • Mamaatti said:
    Hand-of-God said:
    No, it isn't.

Sorry, but five minutes is up. I am not allowed to argue anymore.

Okay.

• Why do you want to be in touch with people you have nothing to say to and nothing in common with? Relationships in real life peter out for exactly those reasons and this actually performs a useful social function. This confirms my feeling that Facebook's popularity is essentially fueled by an epidemic of narcissism

• No, you aren't. I don't really HATE Facebook, but I refuse to sign up because A) I don't even have enough friends for that and B) I usually only go on the computer to shop, listen to music, or read funny articles.

• Användare
    • 22 nov 2011, 13:04
    jimgravy845 said:
    Why do you want to be in touch with people you have nothing to say to and nothing in common with? This confirms my feeling that Facebook's popularity is essentially fueled by an epidemic of narcissism.

ya, too true. and further confirmed by people on fb having like 400+ friends. (narcissists tend to prefer quantity over quality.) like I went to this party and my mates from uni got the chance to meet my other mates. at the end of the night they were all official facebook friends. and they've never said a word to eachother since. so I mean maybe it's all just for the sake of looking and feeling popular?? I dunno. I hate fb in general... I guess it's useful in some cases... but what I mainly like to do is: log in, check if there is any red notifications, if not... I immediately log out. this saves me time from being freekin annoyed by the large amount of douchebagery goin on in my news feed. soo off-putting being bombarded by peoples' conversations and dumb shit about themselves every single time.

• holly75 sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 nov 2011, 13:26
    I wouldn't say "hate", but I don't like it much because of the drama people post on there. I have deactivated my account numerous times, but I keep going back to it.

There are people I have found on there that I wouldn't have found otherwise. My dad, for example, is somebody I found on there, who I haven't spoken to in years and he lives halfway across the country, so it's a nice way to keep in touch with him, as well as a few other people that I normally wouldn't converse with on a regular basis if it weren't for FB. My list of friends is pretty small compared to what other people have (under 100). I don't see the point in adding numerous people, especially people I went to high school with, who I haven't spoken to since high school.

I think people who have a lot of friends on there need that to feel important about themselves. If they do, good for them and who cares.

Nobody dies a virgin....life fucks us all. ~ Kurt Cobain
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.