Forum » General Discussion

Is it wrong to listen to NSBM?

• Is it wrong to listen to NSBM?

yes or no?

Is it wrong to listen and buy music from these bands purely based on their political views/racial ideology if you do not hold similar beliefs?

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 23 maj 2012, 05:01
    I listen to bands with all kinds of beliefs, and I don't have a problem listening to bands I disagree with. I wouldn't give white power bands my money though, that's a step too far. I don't want to encourage them.

• I don't care whether someone listens to them or not, but it's strange to support music only because it has opposite beliefs to yours. Especially when, as you've said, it's purely for those views and the music itself matters not

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 maj 2012, 14:47
    you should listen to, do and think whatever you want

• Användare
    • 23 maj 2012, 15:27
    I honestly can't think of a single reason not to beyond the obvious personal belief/standards argument, other than subjective taste maybe.

As someone who leans much more to the left politically and morally I do tire of having to 'explain' the presence of power electronics or neo-folk in my collection. It seems that irregardless of what stance they take a great many people have immense difficulty in understanding the idea that a person might find something interesting without necessarily subscribing to any set-agendas or sharing any sentiments therein.

More often the kind of bands that explore right-wing or misanthropic themes in their work do so as a form of critique or critical reflexivity. The less informed strains of liberalism mistake this as 'support' or validification of fascism/racism/etc et all, ironically saying a lot more about their own offensive prejudices and hang-ups than anything Douglas Pearce or Genocide Organ could ever conjure up.

So to summarize, listen to whatever piques your interest and don't ley anybody browbeat or pressure you into 'explaining away' your tastes :D

• Kennoth sa...
    • Användare
    • 23 maj 2012, 15:32
    I suppose the music itself is the only thing that matters. If there's ever a white power song that manages to mesmerize me with it's stunning atmosphere, musicianship and lyrical quality, I wouldn't care about the message. But I don't think I'll stumble upon one.

What breaks my pride, will break your skull. I bring the end, just like an Archangel.

• Användare
    • 23 maj 2012, 15:36
    Kennoth said:
    I suppose the music itself is the only thing that matters. If there's ever a white power song that manages to mesmerize me with it's stunning atmosphere, musicianship and lyrical quality, I wouldn't care about the message. But I don't think I'll stumble upon one.

Thats certainly one way of looking at it. All the qaulities you mentioned are things that aren't exactly top entries in my musical 'vocabularly', as it were. I like to look for lo-fi resolution, distortion, extreme leaps of logic and weird faux amateurism in music and (as it just so happens) all of which can be found in genres and movements that have, to varying extants and degrees, attracted those of dubious political mindsets.

• Eh, I don't care about the message as long as the music is great and innovative.
    Nevertheless, "purely based on their political views/racial ideology" implies no care to musical merit. The way the question is phrased suggests supporting sub-par things you yourself are against just... because, man.
    Which is fine an' all

• Användare
    • 23 maj 2012, 23:06
    I wouldn't look down on someone who listens to it because they like the musical sound, but I would never listen to it myself. I don't like metal to begin with and I prefer more light-hearted, agreeable lyrics.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.