Forum » General Discussion

Great Music Cities of the World

• Great Music Cities of the World

OK, so I have been watching a terrific series on cable here in Australia called Great Music Cities of the World and thought it would make for an interesting discussion here @ Last FM (for those inclined).

It is a 6 part series (from memory) that focuses on New York, London, Detroit, Manchester, Nashville and Melbourne (fair to say, since this is an Aussie series there is some nepotism in the last choice but being from Melbourne myself I do think my city can hold its head high when it comes to music).

Everyone will have an opinion and there are always lesser known players that people might not be aware of.

And I don't underestimate parochialism in this discussion..

So sing it loud and sing it proud - what is your favourite musical city? What makes a great musical city? Does your city kick my city's arse?

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

"You may not be interested in The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table, but The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table is interested in you." - Leon Trotsky.
    Redigerad av ProximityFuze den 28 maj 2012, 02:57
  • I think Liverpool, if only at the very least the Beatles came from there. Although it was the home of many talented singers, bands & Songwriters.

Nashville might have been country, but Memphis was the home of the blues and the birthplace for the explosion of Rock 'n' Roll, and home to the King.

New Orleans, well just take a walk down Bourbon street during Mardi Gras.

I don't know about Kicking ass, but Donovan had his first gig in my town, and Eddie and the Hotrods come from here.

"I never picked cotton"
    • rfruth11 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 maj 2012, 13:26
    New York !

• Kennoth sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 maj 2012, 14:39
    Gothenburg.

Change is coming through my shadow. My shadow's shedding skin, I've been picking my scabs again.

• Dear rfruth11.
    I agree, but lately "due a lack of stupidity and immature rappers"... New York isn't having a quite pleasant time!

It all happened in a magical glance...
    • messo sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 maj 2012, 10:06
    Chicago is definitely my favorite. Most of my top favorite bands are from that city.
    The genres in particular are the instrumental (post-) rock and avantgarde jazz scene. I think their version of it has a very distinctive sound which I'm head over heels for.

Bands to check out if you want to: Tortoise, Brokeback, Dianogah, Isotope 217, Exploding Star Orchestra, Pullman, Del Rey, A Light Sleeper, Chicago Underground Duo, Rob Mazurek, Jeff Parker, Russian Circles, and Pelican

• spam

Redigerad av Babs_05 den 22 maj 2012, 16:01
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 22 maj 2012, 19:32
    Belfast, for Van Morrison alone :)

• The case for Melbourne.

For me it isn’t just about great artists that call the city home but it is the all encompassing vibe of the place.

Melbourne, for mine, is the musical epicentre of Australia and deserves that tag because it is also one of the more highly rated music cities of the world.

From The Northcote Social Club, through The Esplanade Hotel ("The Espy") to Hisense Arena Melbourne has an amazing list of venues that allows people to see up-and-coming acts or stadium filling artists playing on the same night.

The live music scene also generates passionate debate. When the iconic Tote Hotel was closed due to Liquor Licensing laws, live music lovers banded together and within 2 days a protest was organised outside the site which caused discussions to open up with the state government about the laws impacting on live music venues.

Melbourne also provides great support systems to nurture artists and the music scene as a whole through local independent radio, street press and television.

Johnny Young, who himself penned Russel Morris’ "The Real Thing", hosted Young Talent Time which was recorded in Melbourne and helped launch many careers (most well known alumni being Dannii Minogue, Debra Byrne, Jamie Redfern and Tina Arena). Melbourne was also home to Australia’s greatest music television show - Countdown – hosted by Ian “Molly” Meldrum.

The show was credited with assisting many Australian acts as they were starting out.

Through the 70s and 80s Melbourne saw the rise of “the Little Band” scene which saw an explosion of independent music created in parallel with the punk and post-punk movement. Melbourne gave all these new artists somewhere to perform and develop. Primitive Calculators and Whirlywirld being 2 of the scene's more prominent acts.

Melbourne, well Sunbury, also held the Sunbury Rock Festival (Australia’s attempt to mimic Woodstock) which had highlights like Queen being booed and told, in no uncertain terms, to return to ‘pommy land’ and a fight breaking out between roadies of Deep Purple and AC/DC.

Melbourne has fostered artists born overseas like Olivia Newton-John and John Farnham who have gone on an carved out successful and long careers as well as embracing musicians from interstate.

The Seekers, who were one of the first Australian acts to taste international success, formed in Melbourne in the early 1960s.

Hugely respected artist Nick Cave was born in Victoria and grew up in Melbourne. He was a member of The Birthday Party who My Bloody Valentine, The Mars Volta and LCD Soundsystem (among others) cite as having an influence on them.

Many will know Cave’s solo work as well as his work with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and Grinderman.

The Little River Band, who could conceivably be classed as an Australian ‘Supergroup’, formed in Melbourne and Crowded House also called Melbourne home.

The city can even lay claim to Dame Nellie Melba who was born in inner Melbourne suburb Richmond in 1861.

Other notable artists who formed, reside or resided in the city include; Something for Kate, Hunters & Collectors, The Temper Trap, Men at Work, Dead Can Dance, Paul Kelly, Cut Copy, Augie March, The Drones, The Avalanches, Underground Lovers, Architecture in Helsinki and the world’s current darling, Gotye (who plied his trade in the city after moving with his parents from Belgium via Sydney).

Kylie Minogue grew up in Melbourne and got her start here, glam rockers Skyhooks, themselves having a huge cultural impact on Australia’s youth at the height of their fame were Melbourne boys and Michael Browning states that “…if it hadn’t been for Melbourne, AC/DC wouldn’t have existed. There wasn’t enough of a support system anywhere else in the country”

Michael Browning was AC/DC’s manager so knows a thing or two about how Melbourne and AC/DC are intertwined.

Melbourne even renamed one of its famous lane-ways to ACDC Lane.

Melbourne is a great music city.

"You may not be interested in The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table, but The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table is interested in you." - Leon Trotsky.
    Redigerad av ProximityFuze den 23 jun 2012, 11:49
  • for sure TOKYO !
    the greatest music city with so many high quality various bands, singers, musicians, performances, concerts..

Mou modorenakute, torimodosenakute, ushinata mono ga awari ni o osugite ,...
  • Seattle, so many genre defining artists have come out of there.

• I've lived in Melbourne for almost 2 months and I still haven't seen any gig, that's a shame.
    That said, despite my love for Architecture in Helsinki and Avalanches, I think that the one Oceanian city that deserves to be cited is Dunedin, No real big names came out of there, but so many good bands coming from such a relatively small place does not have much equivalent I think. Pretty much all of them were signed on the Flying Nun Label and the one to listen to first are the Verlaines, the Bats and the Chills.

Also this song :

And on the same idea of "we make great music because we're so isolated from any one", Reykjavik is an awesome city for music. There is a great feel when you walk through this city and it really seems like you can mix any kind of people with completely different ones and enjoy the result whatever it is, and given the size of the city is really easy to randomly find venues and concerts. I guess Bjork and Sigur Ros are the most successful bands from there but they are a lot of very enjoyable small bands... go see a live show of FM Belfast if you can !

Sweden has a shit load of good bands too, but it seems that come from all over the country (I might give Gothenburg a slide edge though, as least for having the Knife and Love is All).

In France we don't really have one major city, hip-hop is mostly a Paris and Marseille thing, rock comes from Bordeaux mostly I guess, and recently many good folk/indie rock bands emerged from Clermont-Ferrand, which I assume would be the trendy one right now)

I was surprised Seattle was not cited earlier.
    I don't know if there were a lot of "genre defining artists" outside of all the grunge bands, but before grunge it still had the Sonics and Jimi Hendrix (not much else as far as I know though). And well, grunge can be summed up as this city.

Montreal is told to be a great music city too, especially in the past 15 years with great bands like Arcade Fire and Godspeed.

My favorite is still New-York anyway.

"Life's not a bitch, life is a beautiful woman, you only call her a bitch cuz she won't let you get that pussy"
    Aesop Rock
  • LaLoqueHumaine
    I was surprised Seattle was not cited earlier.
    I don't know if there were a lot of "genre defining artists" outside of all the grunge bands, but before grunge it still had the Sonics and Jimi Hendrix (not much else as far as I know though). And well, grunge can be summed up as this city.
    I'm surprised no-one has bothered to post L.A. or Austin. The latter, particularly, has caught my attention in recent times with some of the bands working in and around there.

mickeymay1968 said:
    I think Liverpool, if only at the very least the Beatles came from there. Although it was the home of many talented singers, bands & Songwriters.
    To try and stoke a fire here, I watched the episode on Manchester last night and there was a quote about Liverpool in it which went along the lines of "...There is a word for living off your past musical glories. It is called Liverpool".

• Birmingham

The birth place of heavy metal. Probably grindcore and doom metal as well.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 maj 2012, 00:24
    paulfmuldoon said:
    Belfast, for Van Morrison alone :)
    He did write some excellent songs admittedly and one of the best albums ever (Astral Weeks) is inspired by Belfast

I reckon no one was going to mention Glasgow? The amount of great acts and the culture there is second to none.

Perhaps Liverpool and Melbourne have track records but Glasgow is probably still making great bands by the dozen.

• Melbourne!!

I've watched them all!! Great series, but I missed my hometown of Melbourne!! Neeed to watch!! Does anyone know where I can find it??!!

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.