Forum » General Discussion

Marriage: Yay or Nay?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 maj 2012, 22:44

Marriage: Yay or Nay?

With reason why would be greatly appreciated.

For me Yay, I guess it's always been a abnormal fantasy for me. I'm still young and think about having a nice suburban marriage shopping at Ikea and going out to dinner. At my age I should fantasize about having threesomes or something.

• I don't need a piece of paper to tell me how I feel about someone. Nor do I care about being in a different tax bracket. My parents were married for 24 years and it wasn't really a happy marriage, so it eventually ended in divorce.

That being said, if my other half wants marriage, I won't object but I won't be in a rush to the altar either. Too many people nowadays are getting married too early.

• SaoCartel said:
    I don't need a piece of paper to tell me how I feel about someone. Nor do I care about being in a different tax bracket. My parents were married for 24 years and it wasn't really a happy marriage, so it eventually ended in divorce.

That being said, if my other half wants marriage, I won't object but I won't be in a rush to the altar either. Too many people nowadays are getting married too early.

You read my mind. I don't particularly want to get married but if I'm with someone who does then I would do it to make her happy. It all seems entirely pointless to me in truth.

• Användare
    • 11 maj 2012, 00:02
    Yep, SaoCartel and Leigh said it very nicely. I can't see myself getting married, I still need a lot of alone time and I'm very happy being by myself. I'm well aware the right girl could easily change my mind, but I have my doubts as to if I would be a good boyfriend. I just have a self-centered nature, I can't help it...

And I was raised by a single mother so I don't even know what marriage is like, but I don't think I've missed out on much. Most middle-aged couples I've seen are miserable and unattractive, whereas most middle-aged singles I've seen are happy, optimistic, and still put an effort into looking good. So I'll probably wait until then for a long-term relationship.

As for fantasizing about threesomes, welcome to my world =) But that doesn't come with marriage, from my understanding.

• mklinsao sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 maj 2012, 01:32
    Marriage: Yay. :)

See, it probably has a lot to do with my religion. I'm saving myself for marriage. I know that to a lot of people, marriage really is just a legal document, so it might not carry that much weight; but being a devout Catholic, marriage is a sacrament. It's about becoming one flesh, one soul with one other person and entering into a sacred covenant with God. I believe in saving myself for my husband so that I can give myself to him fully. I believe that humans were made for monogamy, so it feels wrong to cheapen that for myself and my future husband. I've probably never even met him, but he's somewhere, and the odds are he's faced with the same decisions that I am. I know that my own views about marriage, religion, and chastity are pretty outdated this day in age, but I can't compromise my faith. It's too much a part of me.

So yes, in short, I do definitely like the idea of marriage and I would like to enter into one myself someday. :)

• NFXFSX sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 maj 2012, 01:58
    I'm not to keen on the idea of religion being the judge of everything but I do plan on getting married eventually. It's a societal tradition, not a structural religious rite.

• Naijca sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 11 maj 2012, 02:50
    ANYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO MARRY EACH OTHER. Male - female, female - female, male - male, alien - male/female/alien.

Hear their screams, such sweet music. ♥ Message me → [Inbox]
    Last.fmで顧客サポートを行う。日本語でおk! → [メール]
  • Absolutely not.

Stay awhile and listen; I'll tell you why.

Unlike a few of the above persons, I would never get married simply to please a woman (or NPH). If she said "marry me or we're through," I'd respond with "get your shit and be out by the end of the week" then go get tanked. In fact, I've been in much the same situation, where ultimatums were had, and it was more than implied that a shiny, circular object worth a specific amount of money would need to be produced in short order. Oh and also that I would need to move ~1700km.

We are no longer together.

Personally, I don't think marriage is all that important. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea and once I spend another decade being bitter about my luck with long-term relationships I'll want to dive in again, but people who commit without actually doing it for a good reason are doomed (eg, "she wants me to," or "no sechs before wedding," or "we've already been together for three years, so might as well" et cetera and so forth). Additionally, I'd never get married until or unless we've lived together for a long while; there's no realistic way two people should be expected to suddenly change their entire lives and be fine with it (in moving in together after they are already married).

And it's not as if I have no experience in the matter, either. In three weeks I'll be delivering the most bestest best man speech ever spoken by a human being (all single women in the audience will have thunderous orgasms and then faint), and I also stood on the altar for my sister's marriage. But everyone is and was too young. My best mate is 24, and my sister was 23. If I ever do it, I'll be 30 at least, and then only after I've been in a relationship for two years minimum. Just so I know that once all the "omg butterflies" or "omg let's fornicate thirteen times and then spoon while watching HIMYM" or "let's sms four hundred times in one day" goes away, we could still tolerate each other.

Maybe I'm just bitter. Prolls. But I still think marriage is overrated and almost everyone does it for the wrong reasons. There should only be one reason to get married, and if you don't know what that is, you've no reason to be doing it.

/All of this irrelevant if the woman in question is Katy Perry.

sometimes i look at my feet but then i look away at once because feet are repulsive
    • fgsfds- sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 maj 2012, 04:24
    krazyorange said:
    Additionally, I'd never get married until or unless we've lived together for a long while; there's no realistic way two people should be expected to suddenly change their entire lives and be fine with it (in moving in together after they are already married).

Agreed. I'm not interested in marriage, and as SaoCartel and Leigh said, I don't need a ring on my finger to know I love someone.

I might get married, tho, when me and my man are geeting old and sick just to make sure that after one of us gets hospitalized or dies, the other gets his/her hands on the others medical records and gets the heritage.

Talk nerdy to me
  • Hank, I have to admit to being somewhat disappointed with the quality of this thread.

I expect so much more from you.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

"You may not be interested in The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table, but The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table is interested in you." - Leon Trotsky.
    • MJFreak sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 maj 2012, 07:47
    If I found the one and only? I wouldn't mind.

• Användare
    • 11 maj 2012, 08:38
    Maybe the only use I can see for marriage is to give any children some emotional security. Neither financial nor virtual slavery are sufficient reason. Your mileage may vary.

• Marriage: No.
    Being in a relationship: No. In my free-time I don't want and need anyone around me. I live with my parents, they should be enough. I need music, my 20 pillows, internet, caffeine and games and I'm happy.

• I agree that people rush into it. I also agree that everyone should have the right.

So yes, absolutely. But I can't see it ever happening for me. Just can't imagine it.

• Been there, done that.

But I could definitely see myself doing it again, now that I've found the right person. And imo the ones saying they couldn't consider it, have yet a lot to see what life can offer - feelings change, you change.

Crazy? I was crazy once, I had my own padded room.
    Then the worms came….Worms? I hate worms, they drive me crazy! Crazy? I was crazy once…

-Sometimes you make me so mad that I want to throw you in the middle of on-going cars. But then I realize, I would probably kill myself just to save you...-
    • holly75 sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 maj 2012, 12:37
    Ms_Impossible said:
    And imo the ones saying they couldn't consider it, have yet a lot to see what life can offer - feelings change, you change.

Agreed.

I am married - second marriage. First marriage ended because I was young and dumb and rushed into it and we eventually grew apart. I should've enjoyed my 20s instead of trying to start a family. I definitely regret that.

Marriage is definitely not something that should be taken lightly. You better be in it for the long haul - for better or worse. Things definitely can get bad and there are days I wish I was single....I won't lie. My husband and I were together for 3 years before we got married and lived together. I would NEVER ever marry someone that I never lived with before.

Nobody dies a virgin....life fucks us all. ~ Kurt Cobain
    • Användare
    • 11 maj 2012, 13:27
    Yay, if I found the right person, and they wanted to get married. I'd have to be with them for a long time, and lived with them beforehand though.

I'd be perfectly fine being in a de facto relationship - I don't want to get married just for the sake of it. My parents never married, and it had no impact on me as a child, so that's something that doesn't really bother me either.

However, if I do actually end up getting married, I want a quick registry office wedding - I'd hate to spend a fortune for just one day, and I hate being the centre of attention.

• Användare
    • 11 maj 2012, 14:58
    mklinsao said:
    Marriage: Yay. :)

See, it probably has a lot to do with my religion. I'm saving myself for marriage. I know that to a lot of people, marriage really is just a legal document, so it might not carry that much weight; but being a devout Catholic, marriage is a sacrament. It's about becoming one flesh, one soul with one other person and entering into a sacred covenant with God. I believe in saving myself for my husband so that I can give myself to him fully. I believe that humans were made for monogamy, so it feels wrong to cheapen that for myself and my future husband. I've probably never even met him, but he's somewhere, and the odds are he's faced with the same decisions that I am. I know that my own views about marriage, religion, and chastity are pretty outdated this day in age, but I can't compromise my faith. It's too much a part of me.

So yes, in short, I do definitely like the idea of marriage and I would like to enter into one myself someday. :)

+1 for this

• Användare
    • 11 maj 2012, 15:16
    TheBlackRaven87 said:
    Marriage: No.
    Being in a relationship: No. In my free-time I don't want and need anyone around me. I live with my parents, they should be enough. I need music, my 20 pillows, internet, caffeine and games and I'm happy.

Any of those pillows jealous of the other pillows?

• TheBlackRaven87 said:

Yes to Marriage for me. I don't want to rush it, but being that my boyfriend and I have been together for 6 1/2 years it's just inevitable. Maybe it's cause I want a ring. Maybe it's cause I like tax breaks, maybe it's cause it's the "thing to do". I don't know, it would just work for me.

And also a big fricken HELL YES to Gay Marriage

Please let there be light In a darkened room
  • By Wodans bulging bollocks why do you need 20 pillows?

Marriage? nay, as long as you are happy with each other thats the only thing that matters.

• marjattamusiikk said:
    TheBlackRaven87 said:

do your pillow looks like this:

or this:

Yes to Marriage for me. I don't want to rush it, but being that my boyfriend and I have been together for 6 1/2 years it's just inevitable. Maybe it's cause I want a ring. Maybe it's cause I like tax breaks, maybe it's cause it's the "thing to do". I don't know, it would just work for me.

And also a big fricken HELL YES to Gay Marriage

Please let there be light In a darkened room
  • marjattamusiikk said:
    do your pillow looks like this:

No. They look normal.

Most of them this size. but in different colours. or just black, blue or white.
    I dunno, I just feel comfortable with them laying around me.

But still, funny picture you posted.

• Kennoth sa...
    • Användare
    • 11 maj 2012, 16:50
    Yay.

Most of you have had good and interesting arguments both for and against. I'll try to summarize my opinion. I'm a bit traditional with it comes to some things, marriage being one of them. Of course, the only thing that really matters is if you're right for each other, and you don't need a piece of paper to tell you that, but think of me as a hopeless romantic in that aspect. As an atheist myself, I agree about NFXFSX 's view of the marriage, and I'd like to add that it represents that final step in a relationship, and it in my opinion shows how much you're devoted to each other, and that you're ready to make your relationship "official", so to speak, and very, very longterm.

Of course, I would never take it lightly, and the person I would eventually marry has to love me, I have to love her back, we have to be compatible, and we have to live together before it. I won't even mention that it as to be a very longterm commitment before I would even consider it. Basically, it would have to be someone I'm ready to start a family with, which will not happen for the next decade.

Change is coming through my shadow. My shadow's shedding skin, I've been picking my scabs again.

• Definitely wouldn't get married again. I'd take on a submissive though.

How could you do this to a man so close to being cured?
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.