Forum » General Discussion

Post a photo of your city / town / village!

• Post a photo of your city / town / village!

There doesn't seem to be a thread for this (maybe I just didn't look hard enough) so I thought I'd start one. :D

I live in Aberdeen, a city of 220'000 on the north east coast of Scotland.

The city's most famous building "The Marshall College" which is (or at least was) the second largest granite building on Earth (the photo doesn't do it justice, it's even bigger from the back!)

Redigerad av DANCECORPS den 8 maj 2012, 15:31
  • This is where I live now, very lame and a small town :D

"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent"

- Victor Hugo
    • gejm sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 13:16

Redigerad av gejm den 12 mar 2013, 20:45
  • Re: Post a photo of your city / town / village!

I live in Kirkland, a small village in the Lake District in the North West of England with a population of somewhere just over 100 people. Not really famous for anything as far as I know. But it used to be a reasonably popular place for people coming on holiday who liked to look at the fells. Also worth mentioning is that there was a lot of mining that went on about a hundred years ago just up the road from the village, the village itself was a mining village originally, and there still is mining going on at Eskett quarry a couple of miles out of the village.

• I live in Northwich, Cheshire

Just down the road from where I live;

Literally every building in the town centre looks like this;

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 14:14

I live in Tamworth, Staffordshire. Theres nothing exceptional about it but by the standards of the Midlands its a nice enough place. We do have a rather nice and well-preserved castle!

Heres some views of the Town Hall with a statue of Robert Peel, who you might know as the prime minister who inaugurated the first 'modern' police force - as opposed to the traditional use of town milita/mercenaries.

And on the opposite end of that dazzling spectrum, we've got this filthy great lump of a building called the Snowdome, which honestly looks like a massive burger van.

(is it just me or there something vaguely sinister about the second picture?)

...speaking of burger vans, have a gander at Tamworths town markets that take place every Tuesday and Friday.

Theres a regular named Aidan who sells second horror and sci-fi/fantasy books proper cheap, something to be thankful for when the only vaguely book-ish shop in Tamworth is WHSmith. Theres also a really big skinheaded bloke who sells smelly-as-fuck seafood.

Heres something much less crap! A surprisingly well preserved relic from WWII, a defensive pillbox built in the event of German invasion. Tamworth is about as 'middle' in the Midlands as its possible to get. Its entirely possible that had we been overrun with Axis forces then Tamworth would of been the last bastions of defence. I'm glad this bunker is still around, something to be proud of at the very least :3

Occasionally we have some really nice graffiti in the underpasses of the main bridge leading the Ventura Park shopping centre and Glascote Village proper... Almost none of which appear to be uploaded to the internet... :c

• "Cast your eyes to heaven..You get a knife in the back"
  • Selfsurprise said:
    Occasionally we have some really nice graffiti in the underpasses of the main bridge leading the Ventura Park shopping centre and Glascote Village proper... Almost none of which appear to be uploaded to the internet... :c

That is awesome!

• Yuri_Addict said:

Nice photo, but where is it?

• Absurd93 sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 15:20
    I live in Glasgow, near the West coast of Scotland. Like a lot of cities in the UK which came to prominence during the Victorian era, much of Glasgow is still in a state of post-industrial decay. There are a few pretty spots, though. A good example would be the University of Glasgow (commonly referred to as 'Hogwarts' by Strathy students) in the bourgeois West End of the city.

There's also a nice second-hand bookshop nearby, called the Voltaire and Rousseau. It's quaint and has a great variety of books, though browsing it is like to trying to navigate through a small minefield whilst playing a roving game of Jenga.

• Husum, Germany

• Kennoth sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 15:55
    I live in a medium sized town in far-east of Croatia, called Osijek. It has 100k people, and it's an industrial and administrative center of this part of the country (and forth largest "city").

There's nothing special about it, but it is a good place to live with lots of greenery and parks and shit. It has its own university as well. I suppose the most famous person hailing from it would be Davor Šuker, the football player.

The river Drava, and the bridge at night. You can see the cathedral in the distance as well.

Better view of the cathedral. I have about 10 minutes on foot from my house to it. You can also see the tram going. Osijek is one of only two cities in Croatia that uses trams as a regular means of transportation (the other being the capital itself).

The main square of the town right next to the cathedral. Those fountains are a relatively new addition.

The biggest hotel in the town. It has four stars.

Part of the old town called Tvrđa. Ironically, it is also a center of Osijek nightlife. It has a baroque feel to it.

Some old forts (one of them is a nightclub) in the old town part.

A taste of town's greenery.

Change is coming through my shadow. My shadow's shedding skin, I've been picking my scabs again.

• Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 16:37
    Your town looks beautiful Kennoth. I'm guessing you live in that old fort (p.s. nothing you can say can prevent me from thinking that ;p)
    Absurd93 said:
    There's also a nice second-hand bookshop nearby, called the Voltaire and Rousseau. It's quaint and has a great variety of books, though browsing it is like to trying to navigate through a small minefield whilst playing a roving game of Jenga.

Do you have any idea how much i'd love to go browsing there? :D

• I'm from Burntisland, a coastal town in Fife, Scotland. It's a relatively small place - quite a friendly, tight-knit community, I'd say. It's also very scenic in certain spots, due to having both a beach and a 650-foot hill.

Burntisland was once a prominent industrial town on the Fife coast, but many of the traditional industries have declined. These days, only the docks really hint at its industrial past:

Absurd93 said:

I love that bookshop! There are so many hidden gems scattered about the place, and there's nothing to beat the old book smell. :) Still, I agree with you about the organisation of the store. It'd probably be in their best interests to get a till as well. ;P

'An old man stands naked in front of a mirror, eating soup. He is a fool.'
    - Jacques-'Jacques' Liverot
  • I would, but seriously, every single photo is either too small or too old or just ridiculous :D (or on a site like flickr) Edit: or does this actually work, let's try:

Lahti City Centre by Pasparteu, on Flickr

• I envy the beautiful places you guys live in. Specially the ones who live in England. I have always wanted to go there.

As for me, I live in La Paz, Bolivia:

Which can be beautiful sometimes. But I still prefer those England or England-like places.

• NFXFSX sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 17:18

An experience in the boring. And just fyi, the city is only that green for like two-three months out of the year.

• Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 17:23
    I am from Lake City, Minnesota, in the northern United States. It is a beautiful town. It is the birthplace of waterskiing, and is built around a giant lake called Lake Pepin. We've about 5,000 people and a lot of tourists from the neighboring states who want to come sail on our lake.

Minnesota is the US state with the nicest people, coldest winters, most lakes, and most inconsistent sports teams. Most Minnesotans, including myself, have Swedish or other Scandinavian ancestry, so it's like a mini Sweden.

• NFXFSX said:

An experience in the boring. And just fyi, the city is only that green for like two-three months out of the year.

My sister and her husband lived in Davis on an exchange program for about two years. I went to visit her once on vacation, and the only exciting thing I recall was the road trip back from Napa and In-N-Out. No offence, of course. Great scenery and such, and the weather is magical. Also it was very windy, but that was great, and there was a bigass bridge into Sacramento if I recall correctly.

gejm said:

Wroclaw. It looks pretty cool at night. South-west Poland.

Dear god, the coat of arms for your city is the greatest thing I've ever seen

sometimes i look at my feet but then i look away at once because feet are repulsive
    • NFXFSX sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 18:09
    krazyorange said:
    NFXFSX said:

My sister and her husband lived in Davis on an exchange program for about two years. I went to visit her once on vacation, and the only exciting thing I recall was the road trip back from Napa and In-N-Out. No offence, of course. Great scenery and such, and the weather is magical. Also it was very windy, but that was great, and there was a bigass bridge into Sacramento if I recall correctly.

Yeah, it's not the prettiest place in the world and I find it boring. I either want to live closer to San Francisco or move up to Portland when I have the money.

• Kennoth sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 20:48
    Selfsurprise said:
    Your town looks beautiful Kennoth. I'm guessing you live in that old fort (p.s. nothing you can say can prevent me from thinking that ;p)

True that. It's the perfect place for overseeing my evil activities. ;)

Change is coming through my shadow. My shadow's shedding skin, I've been picking my scabs again.

• Naples, Florida
    The main pier in town.

Most of the town looks like this.

5th avenue "Is the place to be"

Tamiami Trail

Tin City

They make massive cookies in Tin City(It costs seven dollars)

Downtown at night

The town is filled with these....

Oh and the Everglades are right next door

• Kennoth sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 maj 2012, 20:52
    Awesome town you got there! Like a paradise for rich old people.

• I live in Glasgow.

• I live in Auckland city.

The most notable thing is that giant needle also known as the Skytower. It was completed in 1997 and 1/3 of it is underground. If I recall correctly, it's the tallest free-standing building in the Southern hemisphere.

People seem to love the harbour bridge, but it's nothing compared to others.

Leave my a's alone.
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.