Forum » General Discussion

Convince me to not delete my Last.fm account

• Habbitty sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 apr 2012, 19:50

Convince me to not delete my Last.fm account

Last.fm is such a neat concept, but the fact that they refuse to integrate seamlessly with Facebook or Google+, modernize and update the web site and software (it's been the same since I've started my account), and perform the other simple things that have made Spotify... a freaking program that came to the United States almost ten years later than when Last.fm began... so popular.

Last.fm's team missed the second biggest boat of the decade (the first being Yahoo! missing out on developing flickrgram) by not making it the first Spotify and it seems they're content with letting the software just... exist. Last.fm Events (honestly the only reason I'd consider staying) update onto my Google Calendar... but there is no official way for this to co-exist with Facebook? Half-assed.

"But Habbit, you have no right to complain, it's free!"

Why in hell would I pay Spotify $10 a month when I can stream my entire music collection limitlessly and free using Audiogalaxy? I wouldn't. But I would gladly send Last.fm a few bucks a month for a product that doesn't look like it's headed to a graveyard, took advantage of its unique features (Charts and Events) and incorporated them into my social media outlets, didn't have a scrobbling cap... and for God's sakes let me change my freaking username.

So, help me out here!

Redigerad av Habbitty den 13 apr 2012, 20:22
    • sgath92 sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 apr 2012, 19:54
    But if you delete your account you'll be missing out on the forum.

And if you get a paid subscription they'll put a black box in one corner of your avatar. What other site does that?

• Kennoth sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 apr 2012, 20:13
    I convince you. /gandalf

But seriously, your points are all valid. People behind last.fm don't seem to genuinely care about keeping it in touch with time. Communication with vast social networks like Facebook nowadays is a must. Yes, you can use external programs that will do stuff like post your weekly top 10 on your facebook account, but that's something I should not use external programs for.

Change is coming through my shadow. My shadow's shedding skin, I've been picking my scabs again.

• Habbitty sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 apr 2012, 20:36
    sgath92 said:
    But if you delete your account you'll be missing out on the forum.

I feel like the forum was designed with Windows 3.5 in mind.

Kennoth said:
    But seriously, your points are all valid. People behind last.fm don't seem to genuinely care about keeping it in touch with time. Communication with vast social networks like Facebook nowadays is a must. Yes, you can use external programs that will do stuff like post your weekly top 10 on your facebook account, but that's something I should not use external programs for.

So the question is, will it ever change... is there some huge update lurking in the background that we won't know of until it happens? The only answer I have ever seen the Last.fm team give to folks with questions is, "I'm sorry, but we are unable to fulfill your simple request." I can have my government name changed, but it's impossible to change my Last.fm username? -___-

Or maybe the question should be, which subscribing morons do we need to get rid of so Last.fm will be forced to effect necessary changes?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 apr 2012, 20:51
    It appears that charts and posting them on facebook so everyone can see how great is your music taste is more important to you than actually enjoying the music.

• xenthrax said:
    It appears that charts and posting them on facebook so everyone can see how great is your music taste is more important to you than actually enjoying the music.

Way to fail at comprehending what he wrote. Not to mention, you don't even make a relevant point.

I don't think there is really anything to convince you to stay. I would love an updated forum (or anything else really).

• Tisiepo sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 apr 2012, 01:56

• If it weren't for my addict and "investment" (of time) in my scrobbles then I'd probably leave. I know I'd be happier.

I mean... this site has so many damn flaws, none of which seem to ever be addressed. And some of the 'improvements' make things harder to do. I can't quickly go through all of my albums for an anymore because their ugly update to the album page.

Can't just click on album a, then go to album b anymore. I have to click on album a and then click back on the browser, or on the navigation tree and then click album b. Then repeat.

Can't even remove specific scrobbles. And there's still no simple way to get an artist page to redirect to where it should go, same with songs... so charts are all fucked.

I could rant forever about all the flaws here. I can't even really give a reason as to why I stay here, so I certainly can't convince you to stay OP. If you decide to leave, I can't really blame you and wish I could just push myself to do the same because last.fm may offer what I want in theory, but the reality is that it's unable to do what I want it to. And what it does do, it does poorly.

• When one gets bored of something, he simply let's it go rather than posting threads on the forums. If you're sick of it - delete it, if not - then don't.

“Get beyond love and grief: exist for the good of Man.”
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
    • rborlax sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 apr 2012, 11:06
    valid points, all
    the only reason i still use it is because of the 'history'

• You want it to be integrated with Facebook??? That's the last thing I want. Facebook is everywhere. Like a disease. ¬¬ There are Facebook 'like' buttons scattered about though.

You should stay and come and talk to people in the forums :)
    And what other site tracks what you listen to? I don't think there is another one.
    And do you really want it to turn into Spotify? Adverts every freaking second? I agree it would be great if Last.fm would play music on-demand though. Download Pokki and the Chromus app (Google them).

• Candyheart33 said:
    You want it to be integrated with Facebook??? That's the last thing I want. Facebook is everywhere. Like a disease. ¬¬ There are Facebook 'like' buttons scattered about though.

You said it, I am so, so very happy that this one site has nothing to do with Facebook.
    And OT: there are some very nice people, just need to find those 'jewels' and share your music and thoughts with them :)

Crazy? I was crazy once, I had my own padded room.
    Then the worms came….Worms? I hate worms, they drive me crazy! Crazy? I was crazy once…

-Sometimes you make me so mad that I want to throw you in the middle of on-going cars. But then I realize, I would probably kill myself just to save you...-
  • just delete your account or shut up, No one really gives a rats ass.

Dead fish go with the flow... but I'm not dead yet.
    • Användare
    • 14 apr 2012, 19:43
    Candyheart33 said:
    You want it to be integrated with Facebook??? That's the last thing I want. Facebook is everywhere. Like a disease. ¬¬ There are Facebook 'like' buttons scattered about though.

And what other site tracks what you listen to? I don't think there is another one.
    And do you really want it to turn into Spotify? Adverts every freaking second? I agree it would be great if Last.fm would play music on-demand though. Download Pokki and the Chromus app (Google them).

Wow, thank you for posting this! I agree 100%. One of the reasons I go on Last.fm to get away from Facebook and its stalker's empire that is overbearing just about every corner of the internet, except for here. Complaining about something not tied into Facebook - I'm sorry, but that's just the opposite of what I think.

I like how Last.fm isn't up to pace with Facebook, YouTube, and all of these other damned websites that - one, change their layout so frequently and it gets worse everytime - and two, I'm still able to have some privacy on here, unlike Facebook and Google. And actually, if Last.fm became more like Facebook or Google, I would most likely stop using it.

Concerts not showing on your Facebook calendar? Oh please. Put a calendar on the wall in your room and mark it like people have been doing for the past hundreds of years. It works even better that way.

Spotify is completely overrated. Sound quality not nearly as good as iTunes, changes tags automatically, and way too tied into Facebook. And streaming on-demand music on the internet isn't that much better, actually. I only stream music from the internet to find new stuff, which Last.fm is sufficient for, but Jango is a bit better. If you want music on demand, download torrents or buy CD's or whatever and then use iTunes, WinAmp, or whatever program to play whatever song, whenever you want. Relying on the internet is not a good idea.

The main idea on Last.fm is the scrobbling - getting charts and stats on your music. If you don't have an interest in that, and would rather live in the pseudo-social networking world, then yes, Last.fm is probably not for you. As for changing usernames, this is my third account, it's not that big of a deal to just create a new account. Facebook isn't any better, they only let you change your username once.

I prefer consistency and stability to ugly layouts, privacy invasion, and lame attempts at being "modern" and (pseudo)-"social". So I'm fine with the way Last.fm is, although I would change a couple of minor things.

• XJ220RACER said:Sound quality not nearly as good as iTunes
    Lol.

Why is everyone assuming he wants this as a forced change that effects everyone? It would be great to give someone the choice to link their Last.fm profile to their Facebook (or whatever other site) if they want to and to allow others who don't, to not have to. Having choices is better than having no choices.

• Habbitty sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 apr 2012, 15:06
    Tisiepo said:

When you linked to that thread, did you notice that I had commented on the last page?

DarkElvick said:
    If it weren't for my addict and "investment" (of time) in my scrobbles then I'd probably leave. I know I'd be happier.

I feel the same way.

GrimReaperBG said:
    When one gets bored of something, he simply let's it go rather than posting threads on the forums. If you're sick of it - delete it, if not - then don't.

Bored? More so annoyed. In any case, this post is to discover whether the annoyances of Last.fm outweigh what it has to offer, and whether I am missing out on something.

Candyheart33 said:

What I meant by integration with Facebook was not forced-Last.fm login through Facebook, merely, the option to "share" scrobbles, top ten, whatever to Facebook should have been implemented correctly a long time ago. I would at least like the option to be diseased if I want to be, as SaoCartel correctly suggests.

Another thing you mention is that there is no other avenue to track or scrobble my plays, and that is why it is so irritating that Last.fm won't take advantage of the edge they hold.

I will consider this idea of conversing with people on the forums, just as long as most of them aren't as stupid as XJ220RACER, Xenthrax, or eheadache.

XJ220RACER said:
    I agree 100%.

Your vitriol was quite cute, considering all the "Hey, look at me! This is what I like! This is who I am!" mess your About Me is filled with. :)

• Re: Convince me to not delete my Last.fm account

Habbitty said:
    Last.fm is such a neat concept, but the fact that they refuse to integrate seamlessly with Facebook or Google+, modernize and update the web site and software (it's been the same since I've started my account), and perform the other simple things that have made Spotify... a freaking program that came to the United States almost ten years later than when Last.fm began... so popular.

Last.fm's team missed the second biggest boat of the decade (the first being Yahoo! missing out on developing flickrgram) by not making it the first Spotify and it seems they're content with letting the software just... exist. Last.fm Events (honestly the only reason I'd consider staying) update onto my Google Calendar... but there is no official way for this to co-exist with Facebook? Half-assed.

"But Habbit, you have no right to complain, it's free!"

Why in hell would I pay Spotify $10 a month when I can stream my entire music collection limitlessly and free using Audiogalaxy? I wouldn't. But I would gladly send Last.fm a few bucks a month for a product that doesn't look like it's headed to a graveyard, took advantage of its unique features (Charts and Events) and incorporated them into my social media outlets, didn't have a scrobbling cap... and for God's sakes let me change my freaking username.

So, help me out here!

== Doors that way child ===>

"Cast your eyes to heaven..You get a knife in the back"
    • Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 17 apr 2012, 00:43
    Don't delete your account, just take a break from using it. You don't have to murder your wife and burn the house down with the kids inside just because you want a divorce. :P

• Bloopy said:
    Don't delete your account, just take a break from using it. You don't have to murder your wife and burn the house down with the kids inside just because you want a divorce. :P

It's cheaper though, to do it that way.

• SaoCartel said:
    Bloopy said:

It's cheaper though, to do it that way.

And more fun.

• Habbitty sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 apr 2012, 02:39

Re: Re: Convince me to not delete my Last.fm account

Yuri_Addict said:
    == Doors that way child ===>

Thanks Anime_Kid.

Maybe I could have some fun on these forums for a while.

• XJ220RACER said:
    I prefer consistency and stability to ugly layouts, privacy invasion, and lame attempts at being "modern" and (pseudo)-"social". So I'm fine with the way Last.fm is, although I would change a couple of minor things.

That was not his argument.

I have a been a member of this site for a long long time. This being my second account made in 2006. I really just used it for creating charts, and to be honest not with the community.

But this is a site that has just simply stopped moving forward. Especially since being brought by CBS. The website has not changed, no new features for making charts, no better artist pages, forums left alone and the scribbling software has mostly been left to third parties now to work. The official program has not seen a proper update in years, the last.fm for Mac especially looks like a time warp to OSX Tiger.

:O
  • Just hang around, dude, you'll meet a lot of great people on the forums, per example :) Or take a break, yes, that's something I've did quite a few times in the past.

“Get beyond love and grief: exist for the good of Man.”
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
    • Användare
    • 18 apr 2012, 07:20
    I saw you had typed, but all i could see was blah, blah, blah, fucking delete it if that floats your boat. Do not ask for approval from anyone, least of all an online forum. While you are busy deleting, get some balls.

• Lana127 said:
    I saw you had typed, but all i could see was blah, blah, blah, fucking delete it if that floats your boat. Do not ask for approval from anyone, least of all an online forum. While you are busy deleting, get some balls.

I think I love you.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.