Forum » General Discussion

Does cursing ruin a song?

 
  • cursing enhances a song

    Please let there be light In a darkened room
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 feb 2012, 03:20
    I'm listening to Propagandhi right now and it made me think of this thread.

    With sureness that I will say that if it's abundant and emphasized, I would say that cursing ruins it for me.

    • snyde1 sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 21 feb 2012, 04:31
    In and of themselves, "cuss words" don't ruin a song. If the reason they are present is because the "lyricist" doesn't have any talent and uses naughty words to mask that, then the song was already in ruins.

    And for the firsters out there - the word "fuck" in a poem/song from 1794. And it's not the first instance by any stretch of the imagination, Just easy to find - Merry Muses of Caledonia is an interesting collection. I'm particularly fond of "Green Growe the Rashes, O", especially the last verse.

    Thanks for the note about Lucille Bogan's "Shave 'Em Dry" - it's on youtube, sung by Lucille. Catchy tune.

    Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • I don't think Cee Lo Green's song Fuck You would quite sound the same without the cuss.

    Message recieved Cee Lo.

    “Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

    "You may not be interested in The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table, but The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table is interested in you." - Leon Trotsky.
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 feb 2012, 05:48
    ProximityFuze said:
    I don't think Cee Lo Green's song Fuck You would quite sound the same without the cuss.

    Message recieved Cee Lo.


    Now that you've mentioned it, that song in particular doesn't bother me. I guess because it's used within a parodying format.

    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 feb 2012, 17:26
    V1nc3ntK said:
    It definitely doesn't sit right in a hymn.


    The Meads Of Asphodel might be inclined to disagree with you... :p


  • InterceptorZero said:
    I'm listening to Propagandhi right now and it made me think of this thread.

    With sureness that I will say that if it's abundant and emphasized, I would say that cursing ruins it for me.


    I think Propagandhi (although I haven't really enjoyed anything they've done since How To Clean Everything) overuses curse words with intent. They're used for shock-value which, contrary to some opinions in this thread, is a perfectly acceptable reason for swearing. The whole concept of punk rock was founded on shock-value. It's meant to make the uptight snobs of the world feel uncomfortable. The first time I heard the ending to "Haillie Sallasse, Up Your Ass" by Propagandhi, I felt empowered. It's excessive but it's warranted IMO...

    "Fuck zionism.
    Fuck militarism.
    Fuck americanism.
    Fuck nationalism.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion."

    .this is our bomb.
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 feb 2012, 17:42
    time2dive said:
    I think Propagandhi (although I haven't really enjoyed anything they've done since How To Clean Everything) overuses curse words with intent. They're used for shock-value which, contrary to some opinions in this thread, is a perfectly acceptable reason for swearing. The whole concept of punk rock was founded on shock-value. It's meant to make the uptight snobs of the world feel uncomfortable. The first time I heard the ending to "Haillie Sallasse, Up Your Ass" by Propagandhi, I felt empowered. It's excessive but it's warranted IMO...

    "Fuck zionism.
    Fuck militarism.
    Fuck americanism.
    Fuck nationalism.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion."

    Without wanting to troll you I find those lines a little bit aimless. I'm not very clued up regarding Propagandhi (i've not listened to them if my memory serves me well) but i'm not so sure those lyrics work so well. By aiming at everything and dismissing all of the worlds 'isms' they seemed to missed an opportunity to vent real criticism. But then maybe i'm being overly harsh - it might work better as anthem than a mannifesto.

  • Selfsurprise said:
    time2dive said:
    I think Propagandhi (although I haven't really enjoyed anything they've done since How To Clean Everything) overuses curse words with intent. They're used for shock-value which, contrary to some opinions in this thread, is a perfectly acceptable reason for swearing. The whole concept of punk rock was founded on shock-value. It's meant to make the uptight snobs of the world feel uncomfortable. The first time I heard the ending to "Haillie Sallasse, Up Your Ass" by Propagandhi, I felt empowered. It's excessive but it's warranted IMO...

    "Fuck zionism.
    Fuck militarism.
    Fuck americanism.
    Fuck nationalism.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion.
    Fuck religion."

    Without wanting to troll you I find those lines a little bit aimless. I'm not very clued up regarding Propagandhi (i've not listened to them if my memory serves me well) but i'm not so sure those lyrics work so well. By aiming at everything and dismissing all of the worlds 'isms' they seemed to missed an opportunity to vent real criticism. But then maybe i'm being overly harsh - it might work better as anthem than a mannifesto.


    I realize that particular selection might come across as a bit brainless and ignorant, but I assure you, Propagandhi is probably the most highly-intelligent/political/history-nerd band around. I chose that song because I think it fits well with the discussion. I have to respectfully disagree with you though. Aiming to destroy everything is a crucial part of the punk ethos and I think it's wonderful :)

    .this is our bomb.
  • It's one of those things that if used right, can put the edge and intensity on a verse that you just can't get otherwise. Though in all honesty, the really good artists are the ones that can get that effect and never need to swear. Repetitive swearing without any apparent reason just makes a song hard to listen to sometimes.

    Looking at starting a Metal band in the north-east Tennessee area (USA). See my profile for more details!
  • for me, it depends. on its intended audience, on the frequency, if it flows with the rest of the song, and if it's not just cussing for the sake of cussing.

    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 feb 2012, 08:07
    Fuck no.

  • Only if that's all the song consist of.

    • Kennoth sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 feb 2012, 10:16
    BowieFreak said:
    Only if that's all the song consist of.


    Oh you'd hate this one then: K@#*%!

    Change is coming through my shadow. My shadow's shedding skin, I've been picking my scabs again.

    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 mar 2012, 07:50
    if youre dumb, then yes

    • zykour sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 mar 2012, 18:47
    I think 'curse' words really aren't bad at all, there is just so much unwarranted negative connotations added to them that society sees them as "bad words." That being said, I think a lot 'curse' words (at least in music) are used to make a phrase or song sound more passionate (i.e. there are more emotions behind it). Although, not always cough gansta rap cough

    :D
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 mar 2012, 18:48
    Selfsurprise said:
    V1nc3ntK said:
    It definitely doesn't sit right in a hymn.


    The Meads Of Asphodel might be inclined to disagree with you... :p

    The Meads <3



    I don't like it when songs are censored, we live in the real world, music can reflect passion and thought. For example, Fuck da police is a common feeling in disadvantaged communities rife with gang culture and night raids by the Cops.

    It can be used too much for shock value surely. I've posted this too many times but here we go:

    Fur Q - Uzi Lover




    "c*ck, b!tch, c*ck, b!tch, m*therf!cker'"

    • uranutan sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 mar 2012, 21:55
    Not usually. But "armagoddamnmotherfuckinggeddon" just sounds retarded.

    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 mar 2012, 22:02
    uranutan said:
    Not usually. But "armagoddamnmotherfuckinggeddon" just sounds retarded.

    Ive spent the last several minutes trying to pronounce that and failing miserably in the process.

  • Only if it's like every other word in the song is a curse word.

    I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and French Fries.
    Stephen King
  • Generally, no, but it may ruin some songs.

    I'm not signing anything until I speak to a solicitor.
    • Sarguer sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 mar 2012, 22:23
    Not at all. Black Fucking Murder!

    Cursing as a form of insipidity and silliness does ruin music, however where such is apparent the music tends to be without many redeeming values to begin with. Katatonia's Viva Emptiness opener Ghost of the Sun comes to mind, however, it's overall a crappy song, only made crappier by Jonas Renkse's silliness.

    Satu juutalaisten kuninkaasta
    On saavuttanut ehtoopuolensa
  • Sarguer said:
    Not at all. Black Fucking Murder!

    Cursing as a form of insipidity and silliness does ruin music, however where such is apparent the music tends to be without many redeeming values to begin with. Katatonia's Viva Emptiness opener Ghost of the Sun comes to mind, however, it's overall a crappy song, only made crappier by Jonas Renkse's silliness.


    This is true. It's not foul language that ruins songs. It's shitty song writing that ruins songs.

    .this is our bomb.
    • estuaay sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 apr 2012, 02:30
    It depends on what the message of the song is and what type of genre it is. But I don't really care. Just as long as the beat and lyrics are good.

    "A dream only exists to come true. I can't say it's out of reach until I've tried."
  • I would agree, but I would say excessive more than redundant.

    Speaking of lyrics as an art form, at times there may be no better word to use, that is why the words exist in the first place. Then again, too much swearing to me seems uninspired, and lacking of creativity. I'm specifically thinking of rap lyrics here. In a genre where your supposed to be quick and play with words, I see excessive swearing as sort of a cop out for creativity.

    Personally, I just don't want to listen to a ton of swearing all day from any genre.

    NightVermillion said:
    unwrittenx said:
    Only if they're redundant and exist for pure shock value alone.


    Agreed.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.