Forum » Last.fm Client Support

Using iTunes and iPod won't scrobble? Try this....

• Using iTunes and iPod won't scrobble? Try this....

I need some help from others out there to try to duplicate this.

I have found that the ONLY way I can get my iPod to scrobble correctly w/iTunes is if I do this:

1) In the Last.fm client, check "Options>iPod". There should only be one user association. If there is more than one, clear them all. Additionally, check that "Always Confirm Scrobbles" and "More Feedback" are both ticked. (No technical reason here, it's just so you can visibly see what your iPod and Last.fm client are talking about...)

2) Set iTunes to "Open when iPod is connected".

3) Close iTunes

4) Exit Last.fm client.

5) Connect your iPod.

When iTunes launches, so will the Last.fm client. You should now see the client software scrobbling your iPod (info bubble from the client icon in the System Tray) after re-identifying your iPod (rebuilding the user association).

After the scrobbles are collected, be sure to; a) exit iTunes, b) exit Last.fm client, c) unplug your iPod....IN THAT ORDER!

For some reason, I have found that the Last.fm client does not like it if you launch/exit iTunes or connect/disconnect your iPod in any other order.

I can duplicate the 'No iPod Library" error without exception if I do not follow these steps to the "T".

I ask other uses to try these steps to see if it fixes your issue. Please "experiment" with the order you do things to see if you too can duplicate it, making sure you write down what your doing to help keep track of the troubleshooting process. This could be a bug that was missed in the testing process, I don't know.

If I can make it fail without exception, possibly others can too.

• Can you please specify:
    - client version
    - operative system
    - iTunes version
    - iPod type and synching (manual/automatic)

plus if there is anything else not "standard" on your system (non default library folder, files on exrernal drives, etc)

thanks!

"Una sera io, Slash e mia madre siamo andati insieme ad ubriacarci in un bar" - Dave Grohl
  • Sure!

Last.fm Client v1.5.1. 30182
    WinXP SP2
    iTunes v7.6.2.9
    iPod is 30GB/5G w/v1.3 firmware. I "manually manage all music and video"

The only "non-standard" thing is that on my desktop PC, my music is on an external USB drive. However, I can duplicate this on three different PC's, my desktop (which I use most often), my laptop (which I swap in the same external USB drive), and my wife's desktop which I DON'T share the USB drive with.

• ehroo sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 aug 2008, 04:47
    I followed these steps exactly, and when I plugged my iPod in, in the top right-hand corner, the little bubble came up which usually happens when it is about to scrobble. But instead of the notice asking me to confirm which tracks to scrobble coming up, it said that it had failed... do you what I should do?

• Mine said my iPod had no scrobbles on it. Which is weird cus I used it for like a solid 2 hours yesterday.

• Try Googling for an iTunes plug-in called "iScrobblerWin_1_1_0.exe". When you install it, it should put a file called "iScrobbleWin.dll" in the iTunes plug-ins folder. That file should assist iTunes with identifying your scrobbles.

Finally, if all else fails, from the Last.fm client, go to Help>Diagnostics>iPod Scrobbling and pick "I manually manage my iPod", and run the diagnostic. You'll see Last.FM going through the library within your iPod trying to find new scrobbles. Let the test run. At the end, it should ID any new scrobbles. Once that is done, do it again for "iTunes automatically manages my iPod". That will pick up any lingering scrobbles.

• Drallas sa...
    • Användare
    • 15 dec 2008, 19:53

tnx

Didn't know about this but Help>Diagnostics> helped my issue, its scrobbling again, pfffffff

• hey! well my last.fm client says in known ipods "diagnostic/UNKNOWN". what does that mean? and if i try scrobbling it tries scrobbling tracks which are no longer on the ipod and i have listened to them like 6 months ago. oh... and i reset my ipod and they remained there. and what does THIS mean? :) thanks in advance.

• Thanks man
    it worked on my "no ipod library found" problem=]
    bless you

• yesssssssssssss. worked fine thx.

• I found out that for my "no ipod library" problem i need to earase my ipod settings in the last.fm client and then exit itunes and last.fm and then plug the ipod in and it works.

• Grevil89 sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 jan 2009, 23:21
    Yay!I followed your instructions and it worked. Thank you very much, sir! :D

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
    Such a heavy burden now to be the One
    Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
    To write it down for all the world to see.

But I forgot my pen."
    • Stavron sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 jan 2009, 19:40
    I can confirm that this sequence of steps worked for me as well.

I think it may have something to do with the "user association" for the iPod not being set correctly when last.fm first detected it - mine used to have a blank space in the "user" column, but now lists my user name as I would expect.

Could it even be that certain interactions with iTunes can actually cause this to become corrupted? Although, in a few tests after I'd successfully scrobbled, I got a normal "nothing scrobbled" message, not the "no iPod library found" error, no matter what I left open prior to "ejecting" the iPod.

iPod nano 4G, firmware 1.0.3, manually managed
    iTunes 8.0.2.20
    Last.fm 1.5.2.38918; iTunes plugin 3.0.2.0
    Windows XP SP3

• Stavron sa...
    • Användare
    • 24 jan 2009, 18:34
    As a quick update to the above, when I plugged in my iPod just now, last.fm was running (started by Winamp) but iTunes wasn't, and I got the "no library" error.

I exitted last.fm, then iTunes, and ejected the iPod (from My Computer). Once I plugged it back in, it detected the tracks to scrobble fine - presumably because iTunes started before the last.fm client.

• I have been having similar problems.

I am using an iPhone 3G, iTunes 8, Last.fm client 1.5.1.29527, iTunes plugin 3.0.2.0

I get the problem with multiple associations. I can't seem to get rid of the extra one "diagnostic/UNKNOWN" with (sometimes) no user associated. Also the correct association "iphone/[alphanumeric string]" sometimes has no username, although just recently it has got my correct username.

Now here's the weird thing: I have followed your various instructions in the post above. First I don't know where to find the setting in iTunes to make it open automatically when you plug i the iPhone. However I just open it manually and follow the rest of the steps.

Usually, despite opening iTunes and when Last.fm automatically opens, nothing seems to happen, so I go to (in Last.fm) Help/Diagnostics/iPod scobbling.

I have tried various permutations of "automatically" and "manually" managing my ipod and then hit the "scrobble" button. Usually I get a bunch of gibberish in the window, and a bubble from the sys tray saying there is no tracks found to be scrobbled. I did this a few times.

After the last time, and a few minutes after I had last tried to scrobble a window popped up asking to confirm whether I wanted to scrobble four tunes. These were the four that I had been using in my previous tests.

How can this be, how is it so late, and what is happening.?????

Consfused!

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 1 feb 2009, 16:12
    worked, thanks

• Användare
    • 2 feb 2009, 01:48
    Music doesn't scrobble on my itunes at all anymore, however it does on WMP. This is a major problem seeing as I use itunes to listen to 100 percent of my music. please help

• Azunaii sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 feb 2009, 23:49
    Tried this and it at least recovered a bumload of scrobbles from the past few weeks. Now to see if it can maintain functionality, cause I've tried several of these restarts and it would scrobble some stuff then return to 'No ipod library found'. If it works it would be great, although it's kind of annoying I have to close down Last.fm client all the time because I listen my PC music via Winamp.

• Okay, let me get this right... If I don't have the music on my iPod in the library (actually on the PCs' HDD), then the scrobbling won't work, will it... Unless, I have automatically synced it first right? This is not an option for me, considering my iPod has the same HDD capacity as my PC. I simply don't have the room. What can I do, any suggestions?

withered rope you hang what's empty can't remain to put it simply in time cry the hollow words to sing with false disguise smothered hope fly from sorrow for a new divine tomorrow i just don't want to know anymore life shifts up and down everybody knows it's wrong why don't you care? now does it seem fair? ~ Skinny Puppy
    • Azunaii sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 feb 2009, 07:59
    Disconfirmed to work over here. After last time, when I wanted to scrobble today I made sure Itunes and Last.fm client were closed before I plugged in the ipod. Then when I did: no Ipod library found, again ><

One solution I can see is clearing user associations EVERY time before you want to scrobble.... ugh what a pain.

EDIT: That seemed to work. Clearing user associations every time before scrobbling and making sure Last.fm + Itunes is closed down before plugging in Ipod did the trick for me.

• Användare
    • 5 feb 2009, 22:09
    x

• Azunaii sa...
    • Användare
    • 9 feb 2009, 07:50
    Stopped working for me, even though I followed it to the letter. =(
    Made a mistake a few times, could be the scrobbles got lost in that.

• Användare
    • 10 feb 2009, 17:27
    None of this things work, mine is totally fucked. I have the diagnostic unknown thing, the no ipod scrobbles bubble in the sys tray. Just have to try the simplest thing I could do.

• Davidude sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 feb 2009, 20:21
    hi all..

since i have the ipod touch, those songs i listen to when i'm on my way aren't scrobbled anymore. only when i listen to i-pod content on my computer, my songs are scrobbled.

my itunes version is 8.0.2 and i'm using a mac laptop.

a few other things are weird, too:
    - when i go to the lastfm client and there ->help->diagnostics and i tick "itunes automatically manages my ipod", it says "failed to get itunes library contents" as soon as i tick "scrobble i pod".
    - if i say "i manually manage my ipod", only those songs are found that i listened to on my computer
    - as soon as i do one of these things, another device appears under lastfm preferences->i-pod. it is called diagnostics/UNKNOWN.

a last question regarding itunes: how can i make sure that itunes launches as soon as i plug in the ipod. i can't find the way to do it.

thanks a lot for every hint!! scrobbling belongs to music, just as music belongs to life.. at least almost.. ;)

cheers,
    david

• Användare
    • 10 feb 2009, 23:47
    yeah i was wondering about getting the itunes thing to work...but lo and behold after I'd uninstalled and installed everything again (it may have possibly happened the first time round) my songs from my ipod were scrobbled. even though every time i ran the diagnostics on it the last.fm client assured me that no scrobbles could be found. very connfusing...i hope it works the same when i next use my ipod.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.