Forum » Last.fm Client Support

Client is hiding....is he afraid???

• Client is hiding....is he afraid???

Hi,

my problem is that the client is hiding from me. It runs on system startup (sometimes twice??) and scrobbles. But if you want to open it only the bar where all application s show up tells me it's open. But it's not.

Switching applications with Alt+Tab doesn't help.

I'll try reinstalling.

Just wanted to know if this issue has happened to others?

Greetings
    spanky

• Gyalist sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 aug 2006, 08:20
    There's no real need to run the client on system startup as your music player will start the client when it's needed.

"I'm cooler than Clyde Stubblefield, drummer for James" - Stay Cool, The Roots
  • I did not tell the client to run on system start. But starting Winamp also didn't start the client to begin scrobbling. I used to start it from hand. So maybe there's already a problem....

• It remembers the window position, so could you have moved it off the screen at some time? Try right-clicking on it in the taskbar, selecting Move, and then using the arrow keys to see if it will move it onto the screen.

• Spankmaster79 said:
    ... the bar where all applications show up tells me it's open. But it's not.

Switching applications with Alt+Tab doesn't help.
    Just wanted to know if this issue has happened to others?

Yep. Frustrating intit? It doesn't do this everytime, but when it does, it's really timid and cannot be coaxed out no way no how. Other times, it won't start at all but Task Manager shows it using 100% of CPU - how rude! :-( Just now it's playing fine. Weird.

I'm using XP SP2, usually FF, Itunes, thunderbird and maybe Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Shouldn't be causing these problems surely. I'm definitely shoving it off screen btw.

Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
  • Exactly the same thing happened to me, but when I did what sharevari said, I found out it just was off screen. I'm pretty sure I didn't move it there though. Anyways, it's there now :)

(Maybe there's a bug in saving the correct window position...?)

• sharevari said:
    It remembers the window position, so could you have moved it off the screen at some time? Try right-clicking on it in the taskbar, selecting Move, and then using the arrow keys to see if it will move it onto the screen.

This is a bug, in my opinion: here's how it works...

1. While docked, I run my laptop at (insert high resolution here) and place last.fm at the far right/bottom/top/left etc.

2. I then close down my computer.

3. I then use my laptop, undocked, at standard laptop resolution. Starting Last.fm results in no player window.

The workaround is, as you said, to move it into view.

Suggested code workaround...

When start last.fm:

if x-position > screen-resolution (set x-position something sensible)
    if y-position > screen-resolution (set y-position something sensible)

Most other programs I use do this, as a matter of interest.

• schnutzi sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 sep 2006, 20:27

On the Mac too

Hey, that's what it does on my Mac too. How do I get it back then? As I do not have a taskbar to rightclick in?

Is there a prefs file I can delete?

Cheers

• scowby sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 sep 2006, 02:54

When Move doesn't work

Sometimes right-clicking and selecting Move doesn't work. The only solution I found was that I had to edit the registry. I know this can be dangerous but it's pretty easy.

Stop the Last.fm client
    Right-click on the system tray icon and select Exit

Open up the registry editor
    Start -> Run... and type in "regedit.exe" and hit the OK button
    Go to the HKCU\Software\Last.fm\Client
    Now delete the key named position. On my system the value was @Point(-32000, -32000) or something like that...
    Delete the key not the value.

Restart the Last.fm client and it should reappear on the screen.

This works because the client cannot find the position setting so uses a sensible default. When you close the client again a good position value will be saved.

• ElCobra sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 16 sep 2006, 15:14
    scowby said:
    Sometimes right-clicking and selecting Move doesn't work. The only solution I found was that I had to edit the registry. I know this can be dangerous but it's pretty easy.

Stop the Last.fm client

Now delete the key named position. On my system the value was @Point(-32000, -32000) or something like that...

The right-click - move option didn't work for me, so i tried this but there is no key named position in the Client folder, just (Standard) and First Run.

Or am i just too dumb to find it? :(

• scowby sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 sep 2006, 01:52
    ElCobra said:
    scowby said:

Stop the Last.fm client

The right-click - move option didn't work for me, so i tried this but there is no key named position in the Client folder, just (Standard) and First Run.

Or am i just too dumb to find it? :(

Are you sure you are looking at HKEY_CURRENT_USER (HKCU) and not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (HKLM)? I have the First Run value in HKLM and the position value in HKCU.

• ElCobra sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 18 sep 2006, 03:18
    scowby said:
    Are you sure you are looking at HKEY_CURRENT_USER (HKCU) and not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (HKLM)? I have the First Run value in HKLM and the position value in HKCU.

Ahhh, thanks for clarifying that!

I haven't edited anything in there before so i was in the wrong directory. Working perfectly fine now so thanks a ton for your help!

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 okt 2006, 20:40
    Thanks scowby.
    This PC almost went through the window.
    But your post fixed it.

I and my landlord thank you.

• Could this be added to the "known bugs"? I've seen it happen here several times - and I did not move it myself off screen.

• thx for the tips, and yes it should be reportet as a bug! Does someone want to do that?

Mybe I'll try later, have to work now....

• There is an easy way to get a window back inside the screen (in Microsoft Windows) :

(•1) Open any window
    (•2) Press ALT+SPACEBAR
    (•3) See what letter you have to press to activate (move) function
    (•4) Try it! Press this key in french windows 2000 it's "l"
    (•5) Move this window with the arrow keys
    (•6) Validate by pressing ENTER

Once you achieve this. You can do the same with the begone Last.fm client window :

• Press ALT+TAB until you select last.fm
    • Do the above explanation and the window will be back in your screen as soon as you will press the arrow keys — in step (•5)

Hope this helps…

LA TÉLÉ FAIT GROSSIR ET NUIT À L'ÉVEIL DU CERVEAU
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.