Forum » In the News

Bono to present award to Suu Kyi

• Bono to present award to Suu Kyi

BBC

Bono will present Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi with Amnesty International's highest honour when she visits Dublin next month.

Suu Kyi will visit Dublin on June 18, a day after collecting her Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, Norway.

She was awarded the Nobel in 1991, and Amnesty's Ambassador of Conscience award in 2009.

She was unable to claim either award until now because she was under house arrest for 15 of the past 24 years....

Bob Geldof also will be involved in the concert. Geldof praised Suu Kyi as a "heroine of dignity, integrity, courage and steely moral vigour (who) lost her freedom and her family in order to gain a nation. Ireland is ennobled by her visit."

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 10 jun 2012, 19:28
    I can't reconcile the idea in my head of someone as internationally and historically important as Aung San Suu Kyi having to suffer the indignity of receiving an award from the creature commonly referred to as Bono.

• Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 10 jun 2012, 22:28
    I didn't know Burma had things like house arrest and elections.

• Selfsurprise said:
    I can't reconcile the idea in my head of someone as internationally and historically important as Aung San Suu Kyi having to suffer the indignity of receiving an award from the creature commonly referred to as Bono.

Not everyone in Amnesty will like him but he's an important figurehead, sold a lot of records calling for no war =p

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
    • dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 12 jun 2012, 23:20
    "important figurehead" my ass

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
  • dankine said:
    "important figurehead" my ass

Pretty much this.

\l/
    \m/
    \n\
    • juepucta sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 jun 2012, 15:03
    My hairy ass does look a bit like Bono, come think of it.

-G.

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 19 jun 2012, 23:21
    juepucta said:
    My hairy ass does look a bit like Bono, come think of it.

-G.

do you gel it?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • juepucta sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jun 2012, 04:29
    It`s the Pop era look. No need for gel. The sun glasses are hard to keep in place, though.

-G.

• ruyiff sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 jun 2012, 12:55

[spam]

[spam]

Redigerad av Ziomek2000 den 20 jun 2012, 13:45
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.