Forum » In the News

The Ulster Hall: Belfast's window on the world

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 13 maj 2012, 23:40

The Ulster Hall: Belfast's window on the world

BBC

For 150 years, the Ulster Hall has been at the heart of Belfast's cultural life.

...Over the years it has played host to a diverse range of personalities: from the son of an American slave to the Dalai Lama and from Charles Dickens on his early literary tours to Led Zeppelin and their first-ever performance of Stairway to Heaven...

....In 1874, The Ulster Hall hosted a controversial speech which, according to historian of science Frank Turner, sparked "perhaps the most intense debate of the Victorian conflict of science and religion."

It was delivered by physicist John Tyndall - the man who would later explain why the sky is blue - to the British Science Association.

Tyndall claimed that matter could create life on its own and that cosmology (the study of the universe) was the domain of science not religion....

....In February 1912, Winston Churchill, who was due to talk in the Ulster Hall in favour of Irish Home Rule, found himself locked out.

Unionists, who favoured direct rule by Westminster, filled it wall to wall and refused to move. To add to the humiliation, the men who locked him out had been inspired by Churchill's own father.

The Ulster Hall: A select chronology.

Built in 1862 - making it older than the Royal Albert Hall, London

•Dickens read there in 1867 and 1869.

1874 - John Tyndall's 'Belfast Address'

1886 - Randolph Churchill's speech against Home Rule

1909 - James Joyce tries to buy the Ulster Hall for use as a cinema

•February 1912 - Winston Churchill is locked out by unionists

•September 1912 - 'Ulster Day' rally is held in the hall before Unionists marched to City Hall to sign the Ulster covenant

1936 - Paul Robeson, singer of 'Ol Man River' performed, the son of an American slave, turned civil rights activist said at his concert "I've been made to feel you people understand me, the warmth of your welcome has gone to my heart".

1942 - The dance floor gives way during the war

1964 - The Rolling Stones played, but it was too much for many young girls who fainted during the concert

March 1971 - Led Zeppelin played Stairway To Heaven for the first time

1977 - The Clash gig was cancelled, kick starting Belfast's 'Punk era'

July 1980 - Dexy's Midnight Runners fans broke the solid oak dance floor, bought by the American embassy during the war

2000 - The Dali Lama gave a guest lecture for Amnesty International

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17964509

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 14 maj 2012, 18:39
    zzzzzzzz

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • Användare
    • 15 maj 2012, 07:43
    That Frank Turner speech soundf like it would be interesting to read about. I wonder if there any transcripts of it anywhere?

dankine said:
    zzzzzzzz

I'm constantly amazed by how fucking hardcore you are. If you were any harder you'd be able to have full sex with men and yet still be completly heterosexual.

:3

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 18 maj 2012, 23:45
    It's just the unrelenting torrent of crap he posts. But yeah, you're right I am machismo embodied because I think this is a non story.

Auto Corrections Group
    • Användare
    • 20 maj 2012, 16:10
    dankine said:
    It's just the unrelenting torrent of crap he posts. But yeah, you're right I am machismo embodied because I think this is a non story.

Weird how you seem to be the only one who thinks so. If I was you that might worry me! I'm such a worrywart you know!

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 20 maj 2012, 16:16
    cos everybody reads and posts on forums.

the fact a lot of people think (or don't think) something is in no way an indication it is right or not...

Auto Corrections Group
    • Användare
    • 22 maj 2012, 13:24
    dankine said:
    cos everybody reads and posts on forums.

the fact a lot of people think (or don't think) something is in no way an indication it is right or not...

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.