Forum » In the News

Netherlands judge backs cafe cannabis ban for foreigners

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 apr 2012, 16:51

Netherlands judge backs cafe cannabis ban for foreigners

BBC

A judge in the Netherlands has upheld a new law to ban foreign tourists from entering cannabis cafes.

...The BBC's Anna Holligan in The Hague says the nationwide ban is being strongly opposed by the Mayor of Amsterdam, Eberhard van der Laan, because around a third of the city's tourists visit to smoke cannabis in the cafes.

If the coffee shop owners lose their case they say they will take it to the European Court of Human Rights, on the grounds that the Dutch should not be allowed to discriminate against people on the basis of where they live...

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17865151

I get that some would say it may cause trouble, foreigners only coming for it but then it may decrease tourism or drive foreigners to seek other ways, undetected to get a score, buy and deal at home.

Criminalising cannabis too in our countries is a wasted opportunity for the government to rake in the tax money and leads to irresponsible selling (i.e. to underage/children).

• I can understand why this has been introduced and i actually agree with it.
    There used to be a coffee shop , Checkpoint cannabis café in Terneuzen with is in the southern province of Zeeland. ..take a look at the article below and you can understand why the dutch government have decided on their course of action

http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/dutch-authorities-turn-blind-eye-coffeeshops

• lawynd sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 30 apr 2012, 17:55
    It seems like overkill to a problem though; surely enforcing the existing limit of 500g on the premises at any one time would be a better solution than such a heavy-handed measure that could potentially ruin a significant proportion of tourist revenues? What next, only the locals allowed to frequent the red-light district in Amsterdam?

Official recorder of Schrödinger's Tampon.

Quote of the moment - "They tried to get me to eat haggis but I couldn't stomach it."
    • Användare
    • 2 maj 2012, 01:01
    lawynd said:
    It seems like overkill to a problem though; surely enforcing the existing limit of 500g on the premises at any one time would be a better solution than such a heavy-handed measure that could potentially ruin a significant proportion of tourist revenues? What next, only the locals allowed to frequent the red-light district in Amsterdam?
    Exactly. The Dutch are starting to act like The UK&Eire/US - complete overkill.

It just leads to worse crime, the money going into the wrong hands. The people who rely on tourist money too are squeezed. Seems like an odd time to do it in the economic climate

and with the Dutch govt. collapsing too...

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 2 maj 2012, 09:28
    will have the same impact as the no smoking tobacco inside laws. ie none.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • Bloopy sa...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 3 maj 2012, 03:20
    dankine said:
    Never mind the health aspect. My clothes and hair don't smell as much when I get home. I'd call that a significant impact.

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 maj 2012, 11:49
    Bloopy said:
    dankine said:
    Never mind the health aspect. My clothes and hair don't smell as much when I get home. I'd call that a significant impact.

everywhere I went people were still smoking tobacco with spliffs, some just smoking cigarettes. even if they use smoking mix, something is still burning. you will smell.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
  • Wouldn't this be discrimination?
    Sorry, should have read DaddyPobbin's article fully.

"I never picked cotton"
    • Användare
    • 13 maj 2012, 19:23
    Bloopy said:
    dankine said:
    You also don't get the second-hand smoke which can cause health problems.

I don't think dankine is right about there not being an impact, evidently there will be and the Mayor of Amsterdam believes so too

though he might be stoned...

The smoking ban also effectively closed many businesses and pubs overnight. It took a while for some places to adapt and create more attractive beer gardens and outside bars but it did have an impact on lives certainly.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.