Forum » In the News

Free iPods, etc. in the news

• Free iPods, etc. in the news

A Web Offer Too Good to Be True? Read the Fine Print - New York Times
    (free registration required)

Gratis Internet, a Web marketer based in Washington, has developed a system in which it buys pricey products like iPods - www.freeipods.com - and gives them away. To receive the iPod, participants are asked to sign up for one of about 10 different offers and to persuade five others to do the same. They have developed similar programs giving out $700 desktop computers (freedesktoppc.com), $800 flat-screen televisions (freeflatscreens.com) and high-end designer handbags (freehandbags.com). The main difference between the offers is how many others must be signed up for the main participant to receive the "free" merchandise. Its customers include Time Warner's AOL; BMG Music Service, a CD club owned by Bertelsmann; and USA Today, which is owned by the Gannett Company.

Rob Jewell, co-founder of Gratis, says the company gives away 500 iPods a week. It posted revenue of nearly $5 million in 2003 and expects that to hit $15 million for 2004, he said.

"It's a very cost-effective way for advertisers to attract new customers," said Mr. Jewell, who is 27, "and it's good for consumers as well because they're getting a piece of that..."

-Scott

Redigerad av giveuptheghost den 27 dec 2004, 20:24
    • Peanut99 sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 dec 2004, 20:38
    MLM scumbags

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 dec 2004, 20:44
    NYT scumbags

• jonnie5 sa...
    • Användare
    • 27 dec 2004, 21:47

Re:

Quoth killdXm:
    NYT scumbags

HEY... yeah.

Why can't I get a free iPod just for really, really wanting one?

My enemies will find you and kill you to get to me, because secret identities are for the safety of you, not me.
    • asklater sa...
    • Användare
    • 28 dec 2004, 17:48
    So, they're the ones behind this "Win A Free IPod!" spam postings? The bastards!

• I did wonder what that was about, I assumed it was gonna be some sort of virus laden link and thus deleted the message anyway. Damn friends trying to sign me up to stuff *grr arg*

"Waging internal war, between the objects and the abstract..."
    • toomilk sa...
    • Användare
    • 30 dec 2004, 09:42

F*CK Free iPods!!!

I hate all these free iPod things...I highly doubt that these websites are credible or worth the effort and wait.

Besides...buy a Minidisk player for 1/3 the price!!! (thumbs up)

• Användare
    • 30 dec 2004, 14:23

Re: F*CK Free iPods!!!

Quoth toomilk:
    I hate all these free iPod things...I highly doubt that these websites are credible or worth the effort and wait.

Besides...buy a Minidisk player for 1/3 the price!!! (thumbs up)

Did you even read the article? It shows how and why these offers are credible. I know people who've gotten free things from this company- mp3 player, lcd monitor, etc. The company's profits from the advertising and overall exposure greatly outweight the cost of some crappy electronics. Especially since people will start the offers, then not follow through with the delusion that it isn't worth the effort or wait, they don't even have to payout everytime.

• Credibility, right here. I am currently holding in my hands an iPod from www.freeipods.com. My girlfriend has one, too. All I had to do was buy some printer cartridges and get 5 people to sign up. And now I have a free iPod. 20 gigs of space. Neat little spinny wheel. Etc. It took about 3 months to arrive, but I eventually got it, so I'm happy.

I used to have a minidisc player, and, frankly, it can suck my nuts. The iPod eats MD players for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner.

• Användare
    • 30 dec 2004, 17:13

Re:

Quoth tractatus:
    All I had to do was buy some printer cartridges and get 5 people to sign up. And now I have a free iPod.

Very little in life is _completely_ free, of course...

• Well, you can also do the trials: AOL, BMG Music, etc. Those actually are free, as long as you cancel after a few days. But I actually needed printer cartridges :D

• fuck ipods.
    sorry but these things are becoming too much of a vanity item. Im in High school and i constantly here how this schmuck and that schmuck got one for christmas when i doubt they even have more than 50 cds or even 200 songs downloaded. meaning they're leaving a good 15 gb to waste and just googling over the damn thing.

• Användare
    • 1 jan 2005, 17:13

Re:

Quoth tractatus:
    But I actually needed printer cartridges :D

I know, I was just makin' a joke... and that's awesome, getting a free ipod for picking up something you needed anyway! ^_^

Quoth Fuzzorific:
    fuck ipods.
    sorry but these things are becoming too much of a vanity item. Im in High school and i constantly here how this schmuck and that schmuck got one for christmas when i doubt they even have more than 50 cds or even 200 songs downloaded. meaning they're leaving a good 15 gb to waste and just googling over the damn thing.

Just because more people want them don't have to make your value in them go down... I think letting other people/marketing trends affect your outlook on the product is stupid, and even if you aren't going the same way as the rest of the crowd, you're still seemingly being affected by the trends (which makes you easily manipulated and a perfect tool-in-the-making for most major $$$$$$ industries). *shrugs* But, you're in highschool, what else can we expect? ;)

• Re:

Quoth Fuzzorific:
    fuck ipods.

Oxygen seems to be pretty trendy. Maybe you should stop breathing.

• Trolling seems to be pretty trendy as well.

• Don't feed the troll kids.

• Ah, the anti-trolling troll. A paradoxical specimen, yet surprisingly common. Characteristics include bromidic statements and thinly-veiled condescension.

• just stop trying to get a rise out of people?

The Cat Game!

Scrobblermarried to +shanelavalette
  • Quoth tractatus:
    Ah, the anti-trolling troll...

I'm a moderator here, you twat. Find another forum to intellectually masturbate upon.

Redigerad av giveuptheghost den 2 jan 2005, 01:38
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.