Forum » In the News

World's 5th Largest Earthquake in a century

• pauld sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 dec 2004, 05:17

Re: Re: Re:

Quoth jonnie5:
    *Sigh* No, we don't get fascism from guilt, we get fascism from little kids like you who believe their point of view is the correct point of view and everyone else is evil for not believing what they do.

Red Cross doesn't condemn those who don't help. Furthermore, you clearly put words in my mouth, because I didn't say I wasn't sad, or upset by all this, I just get a little irritated by fucks like you who think you're somehow above everyone else because you feel something "deeper" than other people. For all you know, I might have lost my father over there, and you claiming that none of us feel "mortified" might strike a nerve. You should really think about other people before you go on a rant about how to feel for other people. That's it, little kid, don't try to make me feel badly for you either.

and obviously in your 2 extra years of living you've gained such immense knowledge that it invalidates any thoughts or opinions i have? you are so fucking full of yourself it defies description.

lets take a look at the FIRST thing you said:
    Quoth jonnie5:
    Mortification, pity, charity, etc. are all self motivitors used by the mortified, the moral, the charitable to feel superior to those they pity.

People dont give to charities to feel superior to those they pity- they already KNOW they are superior in social status or they wouldnt pity them. Charity itself is about giving to those in more need than you ("Provision of help or relief to the poor"). People give to charities so they don't feel guilty about their superiority, ie "Hey I make 1000x what these poor refuges make in their entire lives in one year, but I donated to Red Cross so I'm a good person." once again you try to label me as some fundamentalist christian bible-thumper who thinks like this although nothing i said supports that. it'd be so easy for you if i was, though, cause everyone knows those types of people are full of shit.

never once did i condemn you. point out to me where i did, cause i'm dying to see it. i said it was sad that everyone was ignoring the fact people were dying by the thousands and were squabbling over how money supposedly protects rich people from earthquakes. i never said you should feel sad- i never said i feel sad about it.

and obviously you arent troubled by this event or else your first post wouldnt have been a flawed attempt to flame me. in fact, your willingness to use the example of "what if my dad died?" to try and make me feel guilty is sick in itself, because someone out there probably DID loose their father to that fucking tsunami, and there you are sitting in your chair mockig them by trying to be an e-thug. YOU are the fucking brat, cause you obviously show no regard for anyone but yourself.

btw, a brat is defined as "A child, especially a spoiled or ill-mannered one." so when you call me a brat, you are calling me spoiled. naturally, if you dont know the meaning of brat, i think its safe to assume you obviously have no fucking clue as to the meaning of "fascism."

• Re:

Quoth pauld:
    i think its sad that none of you seem genuinely mortified at the terrible tradegy thats occuring.

I'm definitely mortified.

I heard that shit even messed up the earth's rotation. That's so scary!

Then I turn on the TV or look at news articles and see so much devastation. My brain can't even begin to comprehend what something like this would be like, other than the fact that it would be really terrible.

• jonnie5 sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 dec 2004, 06:05

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quoth pauld:
    btw, a brat is defined as "A child, especially a spoiled or ill-mannered one." so when you call me a brat, you are calling me spoiled. naturally, if you dont know the meaning of brat, i think its safe to assume you obviously have no fucking clue as to the meaning of "fascism."

You never saw "Conjunction Junction" did you, brat? Obviously in my extra 2 years I found the time to learn what "or" meant, and fascism.

My enemies will find you and kill you to get to me, because secret identities are for the safety of you, not me.
  • I think everyone is confused about exactly what fascism means.

Or you people enjoy trivializing terms like fascism. One of the two.

• jonnie5 sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 dec 2004, 06:34

Re:

Quoth RottenBerry:
    I think everyone is confused about exactly what fascism means.

Or you people enjoy trivializing terms like fascism. One of the two.

I simply said fascism has its roots in people telling others what to feel and think. This brat went on a rant about how I don't know the meaning of the word, then blanantly displayed his ignorance of the conjunction "or". So I dunno what to think anymore, either. Something tells me he's more of a jokester than a serious person.

My enemies will find you and kill you to get to me, because secret identities are for the safety of you, not me.
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 dec 2004, 07:03
    Mussolini said "We're all fascist!"

Italians: *shrugs* Okay. Ciao! *vroom* [speeds off on Vespa]

• pauld sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 dec 2004, 07:27

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quoth jonnie5:
    Quoth pauld:

You never saw "Conjunction Junction" did you, brat? Obviously in my extra 2 years I found the time to learn what "or" meant, and fascism.

natually i assumed you weren't refering to me as ill mannered since i was being quite polite in my address, unlike you who were so quick to call me a nazi and brat. bold claims about someone who had made 1 post which was 1 sentance long - obviously you know my life story from it.

and i love the fact you refuse to address any other aspect of my arguement, but rather you focus on "or".

Redigerad av pauld den 29 dec 2004, 07:32
  • Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quoth pauld:
    i love how you are both so quick to regard me as some spoiled brat yet the combined income of my nuclear family doesnt exceed 6 figures. and you'd love to label me as moral, wouldnt you? you just want a scapegoat.

you two are just a bunch of ignorant scenewhores obsessed with nihilism and claiming everything is "pointless." never once did i say "LETS START A CHARITY LIKE THEM ROCKSTARS DO!" - i just find it pathetic that you are so self-absorbed in your "defiance" against money that you completely ignore the fact that this natural occurance is by all means a tradegy, and thousands upon thousands of people are dying much too early - which, by the way, explains the heavy media coverage cause they are all whores for ratings.

i just love the fact that you are so quick to say "shit happens to me, too." yeah, too bad noone cares that your favorite emo band didn't get to perform in the Sears at the local mall. Shit happens, but i dont think i'd classify getting drown by water as mear "shit."

Look, I don't need someone waving a flag in my face saying I don't care. I care, but not enough to stop my world. Self-absorbed, yes. I think I mentioned that I didn't care. I don't see emo shows at the sears in the mall either. I don't think I classified this tragedy as shit, did I? I didn't think so. I said I couldn't do anything for them. Don't wave you hand in front of my face saying that because I choose not to do anything I am a bad person. No one is going to be damned for not donating money to a tragedy fund.

Quoth aradnuk:
    Quoth lippitude:
    As the earthquake/tsunami was on ALL OVER the news today, it is quite obvious the news cares. I personally don't. I won't donate money, nor do I have the power to really help them at all. I mean, do they want a free website, or something of the such? Being 'worried' and hoping for them won't do much either. I wish all the family a fair well. About all I can do.

I'm stunned how self-absorbed you are .. you just 'don't care' that thirty-thousand people were just washed away? Because you can't comprehend it you decide that it's not worth giving any thought? I'm amazed. There was no way I could comprehend the attacks on your country on September 11th 2001 but that didn't mean I didn't care. Do you have no compassion whatsoever? If not you're phenomenally arrogant. Did it get in the way of your Christmas holiday?

And as for your decision that there was 'no way to warn', I quote the following article from The Times today:-

THE tsunami that devastated the coasts of Sri Lanka had taken two hours to cross the Indian Ocean, time that might have been used to sound the alarm.

But, in a region unfamiliar with the tsunami threat and without an early warning system, no alarms were issued.

Officials in the region conceded yesterday that warnings might have saved thousands of lives, but insisted that they did not know the true nature of the threat. Unlike the position in the Pacific, there is no ocean-wide warning system in place in the Indian Ocean and few of the nations with coasts have the resources to provide one.

The entire article is here if you want to read exactly how the system works. It would not have saved all lives lost but even one less would justify the cost. And now I read the death-toll is reaching fifty-thousand people.

Sorry Aradnuk. I did some quick research, rather sloppy. I had heard that there were not the correct systems in place. I also had heard [before posting] that there could have been a warning sent. Sorry for poor research.

"I'm stunned how self-absorbed you are .. you just 'don't care' that thirty-thousand people were just washed away? Because you can't comprehend it you decide that it's not worth giving any thought? I'm amazed. There was no way I could comprehend the attacks on your country on September 11th 2001 but that didn't mean I didn't care. Do you have no compassion whatsoever? If not you're phenomenally arrogant. Did it get in the way of your Christmas holiday?"

That on the other hand I will not apoligize for, nor do I find it close to what is correct. I have lots of compassion. I donate to people all the time. Recently on Christmas, this little kid, about 7 years old, recently found out why there was dollar bills at the end of the main plaza near us everyday for the past 2 months. Two days ago, he found out that I was the reason. He staked a spot and watched me put a $20 down. He came back in to subway, and said that he did not need it anymore. I doubt that I am not compassionate. I care that the disaster happened, but it isn't going to stop from my daily life. No one needs to be hung up over a tradegy. You pick up and move on. I remember seeing the event on 9/11 in my 8th grade classroom. First set, Mr. Boyd brought in the TV, and we watched for about and hour till the principle told us to turn it off. I felt bad that it happened, but I didn't stop life. I didn't donate then either. Hm. I obviously gave it thought Aradnuk, and that is why I put up the post. Get in the way of my Christmas holiday? Of course not. I didn't stop my life, cry for 30 minutes, donate, and feel bad over it. I said, "That bites. I wish familys well."

--[o.O] ::
    • aradnuk sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 dec 2004, 14:41

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quoth lippitude:
    That on the other hand I will not apoligize for, nor do I find it close to what is correct. I have lots of compassion. I donate to people all the time. Recently on Christmas, this little kid, about 7 years old, recently found out why there was dollar bills at the end of the main plaza near us everyday for the past 2 months. Two days ago, he found out that I was the reason. He staked a spot and watched me put a $20 down. He came back in to subway, and said that he did not need it anymore. I doubt that I am not compassionate.

That's lovely. Feel good about yourself. What were you doing? Just giving money away randomly? Didn't understand your aim there.

I care that the disaster happened, but it isn't going to stop from my daily life. No one needs to be hung up over a tradegy. You pick up and move on. I remember seeing the event on 9/11 in my 8th grade classroom. First set, Mr. Boyd brought in the TV, and we watched for about and hour till the principle told us to turn it off. I felt bad that it happened, but I didn't stop life. I didn't donate then either. Hm. I obviously gave it thought Aradnuk, and that is why I put up the post. Get in the way of my Christmas holiday? Of course not. I didn't stop my life, cry for 30 minutes, donate, and feel bad over it. I said, "That bites. I wish familys well."
    Fair enough, it was the line 'it is quite obvious the news cares. I personally don't.' that made me think you didn't give a flying fuck what was going on.

• aradnuk sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 dec 2004, 16:22
    And now the Red Cross is looking at 100,000 deaths..

• ploba sa...
    • Användare
    • 7 jan 2005, 18:28
    wow - some total sociopaths on this forum .... Then again, they would probably take that as a compliment!

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 jan 2005, 01:31
    Some thoughts:

When we are steadily reaching a world population of seven billion people, it is alarming to notice that a mentality still exists which feels it must pity anonymous people on the other side of the planet. Do we still not accept death as a part of life or a tsunami as a part of nature's many faces? If we observe this so-called "tragedy" through a long-term perspective -- where we consider the health of the planet, and through this the health of our own species -- then this earthquake/tsunami combo is far from a tradegy. Rather, it was a very small but healthily cleansing wave of destruction. "Tragedy", "destruction", and so on, are (apparently) scary but extremely necessary tools in the beautiful circus we call life.

And charities? People give to charities in order to justify their lifestyle. We give our left-over savings to some deluded fund, and so we feel relieved from social pressure, all in order for us to be able to go on buying our plastic toys and pointless technological gadgets and continue to exploit the planet while giving nothing back except for landfill. People give to charities so they don't have to care. Afterwards, the money we give serves as an entrance fee from guilt, to sit down and discuss and "care" about the happening, to have something to talk superficially about to fill our empty lives with, until some other "tragedy" occurs.

Redigerat av en raderad användare den 8 jan 2005, 01:39
Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.