Forum » In the News

10th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death

• Urkav sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 apr 2004, 16:42

10th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death

April 5 is the 10th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death. With the 10th aniversary of Kurt's death approaching there has been lots of rumbling going on about murder theories. What really happened?

More about the murder theories

Foek-foek.
  • What really happened . . . we all got tricked. Cobain's self-inflicted death was supposed to signal an end to the sort of tripe that Nirvana released (and which some dared to call 'music'), but instead we've been bombarded year after year with posthumous collections of, well, more tripe. Enough, I say.

• Zarathustra:

tripe? enough?

no, far far too little.

Nirvana made MUSIC.

They made music with heavy rifts, intense composition, and emotionat lyrics. They made some of the best music of the 1990s (take it for what its worth).

You may not appreciate their music. That's fine - inceredible - but acceptable.

However, i find it somewhat difficult to beleive that you can so easily dismiss the impact that nirvana has had on EVERY rock band sine 1991. Quite simply, such influence warrants respect.

So, unless your playlist only features pre-1990 releases, i think you're being just a little quick to dismiss one of the most influential bands of the 20th century.

Urkav:

I think its pretty straighforward. Cobain suffered from his bipolar condition. Under tremendous stress, ridiculous drug use, and un-fucking-beleivably dysfunctional marriage, i think he just cracked. No conspiracy, no murder.

strawberry fields forever
    • Urkav sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 apr 2004, 16:08
    Yah Kurt had suffered from a rare illness for almost seven years. And that causes a chronic stomach pain of such an intensity that almost every day he considered killing himself.

I am convinced that he killed himself but I'm suprised that there is so much rumbling of murdering theories going on. And still there are some strange facts and unanswered questions surrounding the death of Kurt Cobain.

Foek-foek.
  • Wow... That's like.... Yeah....

A stupid, stupid web site.

OMG, I suck, I believe, and I kind of hate myself; hence I shall now take this here piece of finely crafted metallic object and inflict unto myself the bane of me, thus rendering the highly referred-to individual - me, me, me - very much dead and undone.

• Nirvana made MUSIC.

They made music with heavy rifts, intense composition, and emotionat lyrics. They made some of the best music of the 1990s (take it for what its worth).

You may not appreciate their music. That's fine - inceredible - but acceptable.

However, i find it somewhat difficult to beleive that you can so easily dismiss the impact that nirvana has had on EVERY rock band sine 1991. Quite simply, such influence warrants respect.

So, unless your playlist only features pre-1990 releases, i think you're being just a little quick to dismiss one of the most influential bands of the 20th century.

Well, you're certainly free to listen to whoever you like, but since you started it . . .

You could also say that Creed, Staind, and/or Limp Bisquick have "heavy 'rifts' [sic], intense compositions, and emotional lyrics", but you would be leaving out the part about how all three of those bands completely suck. In other words, your three criteria are about as subjective as criteria can get, and, frankly, they provide no indication of a band's quality.

I think creativity and innovation are incredibly important in establishing a band's quality, and in those departments Nirvana definitely came up short. Cobain and co. completely hijacked the 'Seattle sound' (which had been developing for decades through very dedicated bands like the Sonics, Green River, Mudhoney, etc.) and, through sheer dumb luck, exposed it to a national audience thirsty for a break from Hammertime and parachute pants. 'The right place at the right time' is a phrase that springs to mind.

And let's consider the 'music' that Nirvana purported to create: a blend of Black Sabbath, the Bay City Rollers, the aforementioned Green River (heavy influence here), and, of course, the Pixies. Add to that a voice that seems perpetually incapable of remaining in key and, voila, you have Nirvana.

Some bands do a fine job of using their influences to generate truly innovative and interesting music, but not Nirvana. Listen to "Bossanova" and just try to tell me that you don't hear Nirvana all over that album. Except that it's not Nirvana; it's the Pixies, and the album was released over a year before Nevermind. At some point, perhaps during one of his heroin-induced bouts of delerium, Kurt Cobain actually confessed to being a total Pixies leech. Check out this quote, in reference to Smells Like Teen Spirit:
    "I was trying to write the ultimate pop song. I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it. When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily I should have been in that band - or at least in a Pixies cover band. We used their sense of dynamics, being soft and quiet and then loud and hard." - Kurt Cobain
    Lastly, let's consider the influence of Nirvana on, as you put it, "EVERY rock band sine [sic] 1991". I suppose the veracity of this statement depends on how you define influence. Sure, just about every rock band is familiar with Nirvana. How could they not be? Some of them might actually like Nirvana. But does every single band incorporate Nirvana as an influence on their music? No way. I'm not going to list every post-1991 band that I can think of, but here are a few mainstream bands (listed along with their primary influences):

Grandaddy: Pavement, Sebadoh, ELO (believe it or not)

Mogwai: Tortoise, Sonic Youth, Slint (now there's an influential band), Spacemen 3, maybe even the Pixies

Modest Mouse: the Talking Heads, Pavement, the Pixies, themselves (and they're from the Seattle area . . . interesting)

Notice a pattern here? There were a lot of bands during the late 80s and early 90s (e.g., the Pixies, Slint, My Bloody Valentine) that had an enormous influence on rock music during the ensuing decade; for those in the know, Nirvana barely registered on the radar. Interestingly, Nirvana's influence is most apparent today in bands that reside on major labels and receive national airplay, e.g., Godsmack, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd (yes, Nu Metal is heavily indebted to Nirvana). I'm not saying that's good or bad, but I doubt that it's merely a coincidence.

It's also intereting to note that some bands, such as the Pixies, managed to have an enormous influence on rock music without selling a fraction of the number of records that Nirvana sold. Now that's an influence that warrants respect. So, is Nirvana's enduring influence due to their musical talent, or does it have more to do with the fact that EVERYBODY knows who they are and has learned to treat them as rock's deceased saviors? That's not a trick question; it's just a hard one. I tend to think it's the latter, but you're free to disagree. Anyway, that's my assessment. Sorry about the length.

PS: my playlist includes a large number of post-1991 artists and few, if any, of them would sound different today if Nirvana had never existed. Perhaps they would sing on key more often, but that's about it.

• oops, messed up the html. sorry. damn no post edit.

• hey, I'm the resident screw-up-the-html person here. doesn't that suck though? I posted a request for an edit post option in the relevent forum, but nothing yet. you all should go and post an agreement and maybe they will put one in there for us, if they aren't working on it already.

Is this the right room for an argument?
  • Heh. Edit post has been suggested, like, umpteen times already.

From your reg.date I doubt you were the first. Or even the third.

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/forum/1/_/172, say.

• touché, salesman.

• What did you just call me?

• well here we go, thread-jacking again. sorry everyone.

have you ever seen the show family guy?

• Yeah, I have; and I love it. But I can't remember every one of the thousands of jokes.

I remember the most important ones, though. This will be the winter of your discontent. Aw, I'm going to be a virgin forever... or am I? That's where the stock-market crashed. You two -- fight to the death. It's tunafish... and nothing else. etc. Heh.

• a volcano insurance salesman comes to peter's door and tries to convince him he needs volcano insurance, then:

Peter- we haven't had a volcano here in x years (i forget how many years he says).
    Salesman- So don't you think we're due for one?
    Peter- Touché, salesman.

so now everytime i use the word "touché" I automatically through "salesman" after it, forgetting others won;t understand. sorry haha.

heres a fun link if you are bored, by the way:
    http://ikevin.net/quotes/family_guy.php

• or the other classic touche quote from family guy:

[In costmart]

Peter - Who the hell would ever buy a dozen watermelons?

(Gallagher walks buy and picks up a 12 pack)

Peter - Touche costmart, touche.

• That show is awesome. I like the episode where Peter turns his house into its own country.

• I swear that has to be one of the best things i've ever seen on tv. Family Guy and Futurama. They should play those sortta things in our schools, kids could really learn from it...

• Re:

That show is awesome.

No kidding.

I love all the episodes with Death. And when they inherit that big villa. Oh oh oh, and Quagmire (like when he walks into the toilet, discovers a bound and gagged cheerleader, and says "Dear diary... Jackpot!"). OH! And that old neighbour that's after Chris! Leaving all those messages... And Joe (Lock and load! Lock and load! *Sound of bonnie falling out of bed* Bring on the pain!) and when Peter says "Bon Jovi everyone" and that reader's mail episode and that bit with the drive-by argument and...!

Jesus. Where are my sedatives?

• Re:

... and Futurama.

Futurama was GREAT(!!) the first couple of seasons, but then, like that, it sucked(!). Maybe they fired a key writer, or they finally took too many drugs, or... something.

• best family guy episode ever, though it is a tough call, has to be the Y2K - apocalyptic one.

Too many good jokes in that one.

Like, when they stalked up on emergency rations:

[Peter stuffing dehydrated food stores down his throat]

Lois - Peter! You just ate a year's worth of food!

Peter - I know, this stuff is crap, im still hungry

[Takes a sip of water - and inflates to the size of the room]

Peter - Everyone leave, i have to poop! NOW!

• my fav is the second episode.. the one where peter and meg crash into the cable transmitter while megs learning to drive, william shatner is in it, and stewie tries to make broccoli extinct.

"Hey look, it's quagmire, the wacky nextdoor neighbor! what's he up to this time?"
    "I'm goin to work!"
    "... him and his crazy get-rich-quick schemes."

• heh, this really should be a seperate thread...

• yeah, the best part of that episode is the hitler scene, when the german bratwurst stand owner annexes his neighbor's stand, the austrian sausage stand.

• Speaking of Hitler.

<Brian> "Yeah... about your pamphlet. I'm not seeing anything about German history between 1939 and 1945 -- there's just a big gap."

<Tour guide> "Everyone was on vacation! ...On your left is Munich's first city hall, erected in fifteen--"

<B> "Wait, wait, what are you talking about? Germany invaded Poland in 1939."

<Tg> "WE WERE INVITED! Punch was served! Check with Poland!"

<B> "But.. you can't just ignore those years. Thomas Mann fled to America because of Naziism's stranglehold on Germany."

<Tg> "No, no! He left to manage a Dairy Queen."

<B> "A Dairy Queen? That's preposterous--"

<Tg> "I WILL HEAR NO MORE INSINUATIONS ABOUT ZE GERMAN PEOPLE! NOTHING BAD HAPPENED! SIE WERDEN SICH HINZETZEN! SIE WERDEN RUHIG SEIN! SIE WERDEN NICHT BELEIDIGUNG DEUTSCHLAND!"

• "if you would like tickets to see the Hitler [heet-lah] show, just call 555- ACHT ZEINEBT FACHTZEINENHEIMLEN!

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.