Forum » In the News

Sorry, world.

• Sorry, world.

The hicks won. all i ask is that you don't go cursing us sane Americans out. please?

you don't think its over? believe me I would LOVE to be able to edit this thread away...

Is this the right room for an argument?
    Redigerad av The_Pharoah den 3 nov 2004, 06:14
  • Americans are fucking dumb white trash motherfuckers! Fuck Ohio and Fuck that cocksucker Bush. Thank you people, you've fucked over America for another 4 years. Go fuck yourselves you jesus fucking assholes.

• jvogel_4 sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 nov 2004, 08:11
    Way to have pride in your country and the democratic process. Good job guys, I applaud your civilized reactions.

• Re:

Quoth jvogel_4:
    Way to have pride in your country and the democratic process. Good job guys, I applaud your civilized reactions.

Pride? I have pride in my country, not in the election process that is shit. The democratic process is a joke, the electoral college is the stupidest idea ever. I may love this country, but not the process that is obviously flawed. Fuck off.

• Sarey sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 nov 2004, 09:01
    I have to say, the American voting system is fucked up. I can't believe Bush has won. What the fuck is wrong with people? Are they stupid?!

Scrobblermarried (again) to nyborjarsvenska. Kicking emo kiddies asses. Old school. | You're perfect, yes, it's true. But without me, there's only you.
    • Snorfle sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 3 nov 2004, 10:29
    I can't believe Bush has won. What the fuck is wrong with people? Are they stupid?!

To put it simply, yes.

Redigerad av Snorfle den 3 nov 2004, 10:30
  • Quoth Reaper6699:
    Fuck Ohio and Fuck... Bush.

My thoughts as well, although I would add "fuck marriage," too. :(

-Scott

Redigerad av giveuptheghost den 3 nov 2004, 17:52
  • i think you guys are being too harsh on americans. there's no higher percentage of stupid people in america than there is in any country, but the american electoral process is not only flawed (most voting systems are flawed), it's highly corruptable and it would seem from this result corrupt. how the republicans won florida is astounding when you consider that the massive increase in votes has been attributed to the minorities who were treated so appalingly in 2000. sadly whilst the electoral registration and polling systems remain partisan, this is likely to go on forever. an independent body needs to be in charge of processes like these for them to work.

as for the millions who obviously did vote for bush, it might seem absurd to outsiders, but if you're essentially fed propaganda as "news" (apparently a lot of americans watch fox news without sniggering) about how great your country is and how endangered it is by TERRORISM (alway big letters, preferably non-specific) then your view of how your president has done over the last term is bound to be clouded. "he sure went over to eye-rack and whupped some terrorist ass!" *ahem*

naturally bush got the majority of the "stupid" vote, but i'm sure he also got the mis-informed, scared, bigoted, millionaire and weapons-manufacturer votes too. :)

anyone who feels a sense of smugness about not being american today needs to look at who their fellow countryfolk voted in to government. i certainly have no pride in tony blair's actions over the last 2 terms (each won with landslide victories). jacques chirac? gerhard schroder? and we can't even hide behind corruption for those elections!

• Zheft sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 nov 2004, 15:48
    Something that strikes me as odd is that someone can be chosen as prime minister (or president, in this case) in an election without having a majority of the votes.

As I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong) there is state elections, and if a person wins the state he(/she) is "given" ALL the votes in that state. And then each state is given a "value" depending on how many voters who live in that state. So if the voters in a state with 2 million voters vote on person A and B with 40% on A and 60% on B, person B gets 2 million votes because he(/she) won the state.

Somehow I don't see the good sides about that kind of system...

• aradnuk sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 nov 2004, 15:55
    It's called First-Past-the-Post dear. And would you really rather proportional representation (all talk no action etc. etc.)?

• Zheft sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 nov 2004, 16:04
    Ah.

Well, yes.
    More diversity, more voices getting heard before, say, a law is passed.
    And proportional representation is not at all "all talk no action"

• besides which, it looks as though he won the popular vote too.

• lbf sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 nov 2004, 16:56
    Which makes even less sense to me in the "what's wrong with America" department.

If I were an American, I would probably not be very proud today; however, I think this campaign has made the clear point that not all Americans are Fox News viewers, religious fanatics, NRA members, etc.
    For those who are not, I would like to apologise in advance for all the hostility you'll personally meet in the world for the next four years. We have stupid people too, and in France, they just love a political argument, and they're often very narrow-minded.

I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
    What demon possessed me that I behaved so well? - H.D. Thoreau, Walden
    • Zheft sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 nov 2004, 17:41

Re:

Quoth lbf:
    If I were an American, I would probably not be very proud today; however, I think this campaign has made the clear point that not all Americans are Fox News viewers, religious fanatics, NRA members, etc.
    For those who are not, I would like to apologise in advance for all the hostility you'll personally meet in the world for the next four years.

Word

• I am THIS FUCKING CLOSE to just sitting in my room and crying for the rest of the night. It doesn't help that people were cheering in class when they heard Kerry conceded.

• Sarey sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 nov 2004, 20:06
    My heart sunk just before when I logged on. Before I went to sleep I read that Ohio was beginning to swing toward Kerry. Christ I don't even live in the goddamn country! I'm absolutely gutted. I feel like I've lost a child, or a limb.

Scrobblermarried (again) to nyborjarsvenska. Kicking emo kiddies asses. Old school. | You're perfect, yes, it's true. But without me, there's only you.
    Redigerad av Sarey den 3 nov 2004, 20:18
  • For those of you who are Americans:

1) If you are old enough to vote, did you? If not, you have no true right to complain. Not voting is essentially approving of whoever wins. Even if you claim you didn't vote to protest the system, that's not how it works - you've abdicated the voice you had.

2) Get involved. There are thousands of organizations and causes out there that need money and volunteers. It's not the end of the world because Bush won (at least not yet). You can still make a difference in many ways. Find something important to you, and work for it.

3) Stay involved. Besides any cause you join, keep aware of politics in the off-years. Vote for city office, school boards, etc. The religious right has become powerful because they started small. They stacked school boards, and look where they are now. Heck, if you're feeling up to the challenge, RUN for those offices. Often these small races will be uncontested, leaving an opening for you to give running for office a try.

4) Those of you NOT in the U.S. can still have an effect - when your elections come around, elect people that are not supportive of Bush. Get pressure put on the country from elsewhere.

• lbf sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 nov 2004, 23:37

Re:

4) Those of you NOT in the U.S. can still have an effect - when your elections come around, elect people that are not supportive of Bush. Get pressure put on the country from elsewhere.

well that much is easy :)

I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
    What demon possessed me that I behaved so well? - H.D. Thoreau, Walden
    • BlitZace sa...
    • Användare
    • 3 nov 2004, 23:40
    Well, I've never elected before, and I'm 22 now. But next year my Vote is going to the Lib Dems. No way in hell am I voting for Blair. There's nothing he can do from now until then that's gonna change my mind.

Death is certain ~ Life is not
    Your mind lies dormant ~ Proceeding to rot
    The final curtain ~ Has drawn its close
    When death is certain ~ The end unfolds.

• Smiff sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 nov 2004, 04:02
    no need to apologise, so many americans tried so hard, queued for hours, gave money they couldn't afford, time, and it must feel all for nought. it's them i feel sorry for.

i read a very depressing post today that said evangelicals are breeding faster than the general pop. and there's a good chance of repubs having a lock on power until errr 2016?

that's when i decided to stop reading DailyKos, drop politics and go back to real life. but i might have a go at voting Blair out on the next election here.

of course some of you - like if you're gay and in a certain state - don't have that choice, have to live in that mess. maybe other countries will have to send peacekeepers.

Redigerad av Smiff den 4 nov 2004, 04:09
  • The Daily Show with Jon Stewart said something interesting today.
    I paraphrase:
    Rob Corduroy - "The people that voted for Bush said that their top two issues are terrorism and gay marriage"
    Jon Stewart - "Then why did NY go overwhelmingly for Kerry"
    RC - "Well John, terrorism and gays are very prevalent in NY, so we can't see the entire picture, it's only the farther away you get from NY that the whole picture starts making sense and it can be clearly decided what the right choice is. From all of us in the blue states, we thank you red states, from saving us from ourselves."

Again, thank you, assholes!

• Smiff sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 nov 2004, 16:41
    Well the rest of the world is even further from New York (so we must have an even better picture*) and we wanted Kerry, big time.

*by his 'logic'

I heard someone on UK TV (from rural red USA) explaining the win by saying only religious people have good judgement. That's what he said. Made me want to suddenly get violent on him.. but that's probably just my bad judgement.

Redigerad av Smiff den 4 nov 2004, 22:14
    • Zheft sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 nov 2004, 17:07

Re:

Quoth Smiff:
    I heard someone on UK TV (from rural red USA) explaining the win by saying only religious people have good judgement. That's what he said. Made me want to suddenly get violent on him.. but that's probably just my bad judgement.

That reminds me..
    A friend of mine was rather upset after a visit to the university in my home town where a man argued that "there is two kinds of angry males, one who gets violent, the other just walks away"
    My friend said "I just felt like walking up there and punch him in the face, but I didn't. Instead I came here (a meeting place for most of my friends)"

• Smiff sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 nov 2004, 17:18
    edit: sorry i misread your post, you're not saying that, ok!

no but, i'm not violent at all, i don't think i've been in a fight since i was 10 with my brother. there just comes a point where you realise you're reasoning with someone who can't be reasoned with, and violence seems the only way. you've never had that feeling? i thought everyone had, male or female. i would never actually attack someone over this, but if someone came after me physically, i'm not sure what would happen.

if that guy told me ("only religious people have good judgement, they chose well") face to face, i'd laugh, or try to talk about it. the cursing and jumping up and down comes only from not being able to respond, and knowing that my reaction won't be seen.

anyway, for many people in America - and Americans abroad, come to that - this now seems a much more real possibility - violence, crimes of hate. So sad.

Besides I've got too much hair to get into a fight. it doesn't work, & gives 'em something to hold onto, and you're stuffed ;)

Redigerad av Smiff den 4 nov 2004, 17:43
    • [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 4 nov 2004, 17:31
    I also saw that on bbc news,I think it tryed to sum up the presedent
    relection.Once again it has to do about religion.

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.