Forum » Feedback and Ideas

March 16th site update - new iPhone app, Friends radio and Tag filters

• March 16th site update - new iPhone app, Friends radio and Tag filters

Hello!

The Last.fm team have been beavering away over the past two weeks to bring you the latest round of updates. Here's what's new:

A new iPhone client. If you keep an eye on our blog you might have noticed this already. If you've got an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch you should definitely check it out. As well as streaming music you can check out your friend's listening, find events near you, check out your recommendations, and more. Check out the blog for all the details.

A new radio mode: Friends Radio. The iPhone app includes two new ways of listening to Last.fm Radio. The first one is 'Friends Radio' – a station that plays the music your friends listen to. It's available to all Last.fm Radio users now, both on the iPhone and from the "Your Stations" section of our radio page. You'll see launchers for this elsewhere on Last.fm soon, so keep your eyes peeled.

A new radio mode: Tag Filter Everything. Well, maybe not everything, but now you can filter your personal stations by tag. Want to listen to Rock Friends Radio? Boom. 60s Mix Radio? Pow. Danceable recommendations? Zap. iPhone users have a snazzy interface for this available now, but web users will have to wait a little longer. :) If you can't wait, add "/tag/rock" at the end of any of your stations to try it out.

Bugfixes. The usual melange of bugs, niggles, and hiccups have been cured by hiding behind the web servers and shouting "Boo" unexpectedly.

Bonus blog post: Last.fm at SXSW. Use our Band Aid to get your recommended lineup, see the full lineup, find our lumberjack, and keep your eyes peeled for our stickers.

That's it for now, but we'll be back soon with more new stuff for you.

Redigerad av hjbardenhagen den 20 mar 2011, 19:47
    • Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 16 mar 2011, 17:16
    Thanks ;) I look forward to seeing the tag filtering on the website (and the desktop client)

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • Babs_05 sa...
    • 16 mar 2011, 18:01
    Oohh Tag filtering! ^^ what Tecfan said

Thanks from me too.

• rwitte sa...
    • Abonnent
    • 16 mar 2011, 18:11
    Many thanks

I've been enjoying friends radio for a couple of weeks and I am looking forward to trying tag filtered radio. But please note that my priorities for a UI are

1. A desktop client UI
    2. An Android Client UI
    3. A web UI

Sorry if this is exactly the most inconvenient priority order for you.

• rwitte said:
    Many thanks

I've been enjoying friends radio for a couple of weeks and I am looking forward to trying tag filtered radio. But please note that my priorities for a UI are

A desktop client UI

Yes, this for moi. Merci =)

• Nothing new in Denmark? :/

Hey, there are not only smartphone-users out there. I guess not only my used scrobbler can be called legacy (good ol' Amarok 1.4.10), but me too, as I'm not hip enough to exchange my cellphone against a trendy make-up mirror. =(

• akrde sa...
    • Användare
    • 16 mar 2011, 20:04
    Great, thanks...

• Re: Tag Filter Everything

Great, after trying to be water for 5 months i can finally choose to become a teapot ;) ...does the ninja approve? ...zap!

Thanks!

• Just a quick thought, or question maybe - What about the image server thingy-ma-bob? I still cannot get near half of images to load up on music profiles, or in my Library scroll pane.

Grapevine/Reply Tracker pages still having issues with loading, even though I toned my average posts per week, waaaaay down.

Just curious what's happening with these ;-)

• Tombo60 sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 mar 2011, 01:03
    Loving the new radio modes, nice one!

Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me! ♫

• Re: March 16th site update

acreature said:
    A new radio mode: Tag Filter Everything.
    Y'all just improved the playback capability by about a factor of 10. Now folks who listen to rock, jazz, reggae, classical, etc. can easily listen to libs in random, yet focused playback fashion. Huge improvement.

Now, add in a fix for repetition (I'm assuming it's coming with a new client), and you go from fairly poor playback capabilities to probably the best option for random play... and better than on-demand in some respect.

Very nice job!

Keep the improvements coming.

• Re: March 16th site update

acreature sagte:
    If you can't wait, add "/tag/rock" at the end of any of your stations to try it out.
    This should be interesting for many users who listen to their library most of the time, but wish to direct the content of the radio station according to their current mood, e.g. only my favorite classical music. It seems that tags using more than one word do not work yet, or do they? Example: female vocalists from my library. The resulting radio station does not recognize the additional tag "female vocalists" and only plays my library.

And previously played radio stations can be found in the history of the web player and client, so you don't have to change the URL everytime you want to listen to that specific personal radio station again. You have to hover the link with the mouse though, as these new stations do not show the new name in the history yet, only the new URL.

Bugfixes. The usual melange of bugs, niggles, and hiccups have been cured by hiding behind the web servers and shouting "Boo" unexpectedly.I already figured that this is your favorite bug fixing method. ;-)

Redigerad av hjbardenhagen den 17 mar 2011, 17:58
    • maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 17 mar 2011, 11:31
    Thank you for tag filtering, something I've long wanted.

• It should be mentioned that the URL extensions also work in the client, so here are some more examples with my username and preferred tags (only one word yet) which you can substitute with yours:

My library, but only rock music:
    browser: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/hjbardenhagen/personal/tag/rock
    client: lastfm://user/hjbardenhagen/personal/tag/rock

My mix radio, but only classical music:
    browser: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/hjbardenhagen/mix/tag/classical
    client: lastfm://user/hjbardenhagen/mix/tag/classical

My recommendations, but only with female musicians:
    browser: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/hjbardenhagen/recommended/tag/female
    client: lastfm://user/hjbardenhagen/recommended/tag/female

My friends, but only blues music:
    browser: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/hjbardenhagen/friends/tag/blues
    client: lastfm://user/hjbardenhagen/friends/tag/blues

My neighbours, but only with german musicians:
    browser: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/hjbardenhagen/neighbours/tag/german
    client: lastfm://user/hjbardenhagen/neighbours/tag/german

At the moment I'm listening to "Hjbardenhagen's Mix Female Radio" (the client tells me so), and I really like what I hear. ;-)

• play links. bug?

since the update i see we7 and spotify links in germany but not one to simfy...

• Re: play links. bug?

HodgeStar said:
    That's actually related to the same problem as mentioned here and here..

• Re: Re: play links. bug?

foreverautumn said:
    HodgeStar said:
    ...which should be fixed now, are you seeing the correct play links again? :)

• maz35 sa...
    • Användare
    • 21 mar 2011, 12:06
    @hjbardenhagen multi word tags work for me fine(in client at least, not tried it on the flash player).

e.g this works for me lastfm://user/maz35/mix/tag/female vocalists
    My client says "maz35's mix female vocalist radio" and I've not heard a male voice yet ;)

• Thanks for pointing that out, maz35, with my remark about "only one word" I meant the browser URL extension, I didn't test it in the client yet.

[Edit]
    Just installed the client on this computer, and it's playing "Hjbardenhagen's Recommended Female Vocalists Radio" fine. :-)

• Re: Re: Re: play links. bug?

foreverautumn said:
    foreverautumn said:
    HodgeStar said:
    ...which should be fixed now, are you seeing the correct play links again? :)
    Yes. Thanks! ..........KaPow!

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 25 mar 2011, 21:20
    Currently it's not possible to distinguish between your tag-filtered stations when looking in your station history (for example, in mobile, Xbox or on the website). All the stations appear to have the same name. The station names should be altered to display the filter which is being applied, e.g. like this:

• headey sa...
    • Användare
    • 29 mar 2011, 09:28
    StudleyUK said:
    The station names should be altered to display the filter which is being applied,
    And in the client too please?
    ==========================================================
    @hjbardenhagen -Thanks for the reminder in another thread to look here again. I'd previously not noticed what needed to be put into the client.

Being able to filter someone else's library by global tags is a revelation!

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
    • aleymeow sa...
    • Användare
    • 6 apr 2011, 10:03
    Has the ability to add songs to a playlist been removed from this update?

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 6 apr 2011, 10:09
    aleymeow said:
    Has the ability to add songs to a playlist been removed from this update?

No.

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • I'll be dang

I've been so (something) that I didn't even know there WAS a March 16th site update....

I kinda gave up a while back and just hunkered down and tried to be happy with what I had. I'll check out the new stuff.... I'm a little paranoid about these "updates"....:)

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.