Forum » Feedback and Ideas

February 7th announcement - Future of streaming on mobile and hardware devices.

• WHY?????

thats stupid, why do that, your just going to lose costomers instead....I've be a user since you started and now ur just taking one of my favorite things away...

MAVERICK(the one and only)
  • You can Not Even Ceate an iPad app but you want my money?
    Very Bad job!!!!

• BroMan43 sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 feb 2011, 06:40

wow

For a while I loved LastFM, but then it started making my Evo run slow. Now you guys are going to make people pay just to listen to their own radio and others? Looks like I'm pretty much done with this site.

• I'm guessing your paymasters don't get it?

I commented on your blog earlier and whilst it could be argued that $3/month isn't much I'd have to ask what benefit I get, when I can still listen for via the website and the truth is that the iOS app is er **cough** somewhat buggy?

As I stated, I’d have no problem with a subscription service if you let me construct my stations 100%. For example I have a Bettie Serveert station created - but the truth is I don't listen to it. Why? What did I get – a station full of Dutch artists. What was the musical criteria there? Nationality? It’s like saying I like U2 and I get a station with Cristy Moore, Planxty and the Bothy Band, because they’re Irish…

What I like about last.fm is it helps me discover new artists (although the ratio to “skip” is still fairly low), but I've noticed that this are drying up and these playlists seem somewhat familiar...

If you really want to charge a subscription and make it work, you’re going to need a far wider range of tracks and artists, and really sort out station playlists… why does my Mylene Farmer station only actually play the artist after which the station is named once in a blue moon, but feels free to "fill" with a thousand and one bands from the Russian republics? Am I going to pay $3 for this - probably not...

Last.fm was – is – fun, but I’m guessing as in reality you’re just part of CBS, your paymasters -who as the "Muzak Biz" really haven't grasped the concept of the internet and digital media are really highlighting that they're part of the problem rather than they are the solution...

http://reclaimingthecolonies-onestateatatime.blogspot.com/

well, i replyied to the blog entry allrdy:
    i do think, that this is the wrong way to go.
    i love the “free” aspects of the web.
    don’t try to force something to be better than it can be? ya, know?
    if it fails, it just fails. don’t try to make it a “premium” feature.
    is money the problem?
    if money is the problem, there are more ways to get money, than just the “force” to use your opportunity as a “premium” feature.

is there no possibility to somehow get it done without these stupid force?

why don’t just try a good “donating” system first? this seems to kinda work for other “organizations” as well…^^

if it fails, it fails. but why not try it this way first?
    maybe there are people, who wanna pay for the very good service last.fm gives us the opportunitie to use? maybe that even is enough?^^
    maybe… just try to be “a bit tricky” in getting people to donate? :3
    like “we wount give you the “top 10%” of music we think is best fit for you, based on our analysing system… until you donate :3”
    that would be… well, tricky :D
    but this is just one idea, ya, know?
    why do you have to be fix on this idea of the “premium” account? why don’t you just
    “add the opportunitie of a ‘premium account’” to the exsisting system? :3

maybe it is enought, to let it work, maybe not.

just my 2 cent

but i think, it was the wrong place to put it in. it is better here in the forum? isn't it?

btw, is there a possibility to contact the "dev" of last.fm? :D
    got some kind off ideas, and wanna know, if it is "even possible"...^^

• Tecfan sa...
    • Event Moderator
    • 8 feb 2011, 09:18

Re:Paying for a very buggy Android streaming service ? - you joking, right ?

MrSteelskin said:
    Before I consider paying three pounds a month for music, you need to have a really good android experience. That means no more tunes that start and then stop before they get to the end and then skip to the next track.

You've got three months to get it sorted. If you still have a poor android experience then there is no way I'm paying £3/mnth.

I really don't understand this move. I have bought probably 20-30 CD's based on lastfm recommendations, bands that I had never heard of before. Without LastFM that would not have happened.

Why does the music industry keep shooting itself in the foot ?

glebonator said:
    Given the horrific quality sound, constant android bugs, playing completely irrelevant music in channels and connectivity issues it's no wonder you guys are going out of business. Goodbye. No way I'm paying for such shitty service, especially when a bunch of content is blocked on mobile devices, the only place streaming is actually needed.

I'm actually paying for Slacker now, and not regretting it (to be fair, their app is also very buggy)... the only thing I will miss is the international content.

They have stated that there will be a new Android version within the month that will fix some bugs.

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • LastFM - please can you help clarify for me ?

LastFM, can you answer a few questions ?

1. This change will mean I will have to pay a subscription to listen to LastFM radio on my Squeezebox devices but scrobbling will remain free, correct ?

2. Is the charge £3 per month in the UK ?

3. I also use Mobbler on my Symbian S60 5th ed. Nokia 5800XM (not mentioned in your list). I only use it for scrobbling, partly because the radio playing over my O2 network is pretty poor. Will free scrobbling continue to be supported by Mobbler ? Will the subscription result in an improvement in streaming for this device ?

Many thanks

• Re: LastFM - please can you help clarify for me ?

thepathologist said:

1. This change will mean I will have to pay a subscription to listen to LastFM radio on my Squeezebox devices but scrobbling will remain free, correct ?
    Correct.
    2. Is the charge £3 per month in the UK ?You can choose to pay in £/$or Euros.
    3. I also use Mobbler on my Symbian S60 5th ed. Nokia 5800XM (not mentioned in your list). I only use it for scrobbling, partly because the radio playing over my O2 network is pretty poor. Will free scrobbling continue to be supported by Mobbler ? Will the subscription result in an improvement in streaming for this device ?
    Many thanks
    Scrobbling will remain to be supported on Mobbler, subscription or not. There should be no issue streaming from Last.fm to Nokia devices, although we cannot guarantee the quality of your chosen network.

• Re:Re:Re: Interesting

taradinoc said:
    Could you please explain the claim that these devices "just can't support advertising"? I see graphical advertisements in Android apps all the time.

Mobile advertising, sadly, won't pay the bills. The income from mobile advertising isn't enough to cover the costs.

• Android crash problems

We are aware of streaming problems using Android devices and over the next few days will be making changes to the way our streamers work with these devices. Assuming after testing we see an improvement we will announce a new version of the app very soon.

• Re: Re: LastFM - please can you help clarify for me ?

Knapster01 said:
    thepathologist said:

Correct.
    2. Is the charge £3 per month in the UK ?You can choose to pay in £/$or Euros.
    Many thanks
    Scrobbling will remain to be supported on Mobbler, subscription or not. There should be no issue streaming from Last.fm to Nokia devices, although we cannot guarantee the quality of your chosen network.

Thanks

You probably won't be able to answer this but .... is the increased revenue generated likely to result in increased / enhanced artist list on LastFM ?

• Re: LastFM - please can you help clarify for me ?

thepathologist said:
    This change will mean I will have to pay a subscription to listen to LastFM radio on my Squeezebox devices but scrobbling will remain free, correct ?

Edit: Beaten by Knapster01. :)

• Re: Re: Re: LastFM - please can you help clarify for me ?

Thanks

You probably won't be able to answer this but .... is the increased revenue generated likely to result in increased / enhanced artist list on LastFM ?
    I can't sadly, but massdosage has a good explanation here.

• PS Will the streaming bitrate be any different for subscribers (compared to current non-subscription bitrate) ?

• thepathologist said:
    PS Will the streaming bitrate be any different for subscribers (compared to current non-subscription bitrate) ?
    Streaming bitrate will remain at 96kbps for mobile apps.

• Knapster01 said:
    thepathologist said:
    PS Will the streaming bitrate be any different for subscribers (compared to current non-subscription bitrate) ?
    Streaming bitrate will remain at 96kbps for mobile apps.

Sorry I meant Squeezebox devices (I don't use my mobile for streaming) - will it stay at 128 ?

• Sorry about that. :)

Yes, it will remain at 128kbps for Squeezebox.

• Ok, thanks.

Finally then (& don't get me wrong, I'm not moaning (well, not much) as the service has been free to me for the past 4 years):

As a current non-subscriber (& huge fan) of LastFM, what will I be getting over and above my current functionality with a subscription ?

Basically I will now be paying £36 pa for everything I currently get free ?

Except maybe the addition of playing Loved tracks & a black icon ?

• never with paypal / crahes with Ipod

since I had trouble with paypal using it with ebay, I will never again go for it. They are so unprofessionel, that it hurts.
    On their german website, they did not even give a hint, that you have to dial the code for gb with the given support telefon number.
    So with this I feel very sorry, not to be able to pay directly with my credit card. What I do not understand is, why I should use paypal and you still need my credit card details. something is wrong here.
    When I experience the crahes with Ipad or Iphen I had within the last days; i am also not very encouraged to go for this.
    Change your mind about paypal and take care of stability and I will come back.
    I am very sorry about this and for all the musicians.

• arcane13 sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 feb 2011, 13:22

Not understanding this change...

This is the biggest disappointment with Last.fm I've EVER had. I like Last.fm because it's free, and had a HUGE database of music both mainstream and underground. I have the App and love listening to stations on the go. I'm upset because come the 15th, I'll have to subscribe just to do that. What I don't understand is, why? I mean, you guys went THIS long without having to force people to subscribe, why now?

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 feb 2011, 13:24
    because they cant afford it anymore most likely? not the hardest of conclusions to reach.

• Goodbye Lmf

Well this sucks, considering the only time I use last fm is on my iPhone or xbox, means it's time for pandora or Iheart radio :/ not happy at all, loose all my favorites and personalized stations.

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 feb 2011, 13:53
    This really won't affect me since the only time I use Last FM radio is when I'm using the desktop client. If they would add an option in the iPod/iPhone app to disable scrobbling then I would consider being a subscriber. It's just sometimes I want to listen to music to see if I like it and I don't want bands I dislike to be appearing in my profile.

With that said I think there making a mistake. Instead of giving users a reason to subscribe with new features there basically saying were going to force you to become a subscriber if you ever want to use Last FM on any of your devices. That is a really bad approach. If you want subscribers give the Last FM users reason to want to subscribe. I would be glad to subscribe again if a cool new feature was added.

• dankine sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 feb 2011, 14:07
    Is the continuation of the site not a decent reason?

• [Raderad användare] sa...
    • Användare
    • 8 feb 2011, 14:17

Disappointing

I subscribe now and then. Usually 3 months at a time, then have a break for a month and listen to my cds.
    I won't be subscribing again. This has annoyed me too much. Not that my subscriber features were working in vagalume the past couple of months anyway.
    Maybe now libre.fm will gain more popularity?

Anonyma användare kan inte skriva inlägg. Vänligen logga in eller skapa ett konto för att göra inlägg i forumen.